UFC Newark: Covington vs Lawler - Aug 3 🇺🇸

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?   

11 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Paid Members

I got a DVD set years ago with 5 of the old Hawaiian ICON events included. I also had a similar nifty Rumble On The Rock 5 disc set that included the BJ Penn vs Takanori Gomi fight and classics like Tank Abbott vs Cabbage 2 and Cabbage vs Butterbean! Still got them lying around in a box somewhere. 

Anyway, the ICON set had Lawler vs Vitale included so I saw it at some point. You’re right though, looking back at the highlights there it looks better than I remember. Lawler’s had so many crazy fights you forget some of them. Pretty much his whole career is a highlight reel. His UFC debut against Aaron Riley is another forgotten gem. It’s nuts that he’s still going at the level he is when you think of the miles that maniac has put on himself. 

Lawler is a proper maniac. He's been fighting professionally since 2001! That's two years after I was born! In the time I've taken to grow up, learn how to talk and walk, go through school, get a job and start University, he's been knocking people out and lifting UFC belts. It's crazy that he's still fighting at the level he is, even moreso considering some of the abuse he's taken throughout those fights.

• Paid Members

@jimufctna24 Ah, the old ‘I wasn’t knocked out, I got poked in the eye!’ fight. Tiki was a twat wasn’t he? 

Lawler vs Chris Lytle was another barmy fight. Just two hard cunts knocking lumps out of each other and clearly having a laugh doing it. Lytle got knocked down at one point and was actually clapping when he hit the floor. 

45685DB4-4D86-4F47-9867-43E85298345A.gif

Cheers for making me feel like a fucking dinosaur @AdamTH17...2 in 2001? I left school in 2001. 

Edited by wandshogun09

Just a word of warning chaps, don't actually expect to see the floppy haired, presidential cunt sat next to Dana.

By all accounts, it's his son, Donald Trump Jr that's been invited to come and watch.

Also: this!

What type of fantasy land are we living in here?

20 hours ago, AdamTH17 said:

What type of fantasy land are we living in here?

Who knows? But I like it. And let's be honest, if it wasn't for Colby doing all of this it would be another bog-standard UFC event. The lad thinks outside the box, you have to give him that.

• Paid Members

I still think he’s awful myself. I can’t say it isn’t effective because tons of people seem to be into what he does, either for or against him. But for me, it’s pure X-Pac Heat. Not in the cage, of course. But I find his whole schtick crap. It just comes off fake and forced to me. And anytime he does videos or pictures with women (who always have a look about them like they’re there against their will) it seems really awkward. Like he’s never been near a woman before. This is the most I’ve been interested in a fight of his ever and that’s genuinely because Robbie Lawler is one of my favourite fighters of all time. I’d love for him to be the one to spark this little berk, although I’m expecting him to lose this one. 

This is still the only time Colby Covington has ever entertained me...

Oh and the time he tried talking shit to Bisping on one of the post-fight shows and failed miserably. 

• Paid Members
On 8/2/2019 at 9:55 AM, David said:

Who knows? But I like it. And let's be honest, if it wasn't for Colby doing all of this it would be another bog-standard UFC event. The lad thinks outside the box, you have to give him that.

I've long admired Colby because of this very reason. Yes he's clearly a hokey phoney, but he gets people talking. He's also shown he's a damn fine fighter on top of it too.

My problem with Covington's gimmick is that it's a poorly delivered and humourless version of Sonnen's old shtick.

I can't argue that it hasn't benefited him. It's raised his profile and made his fights more interesting. I also do not dispute that he's a world-class fighter (although Usman is superior). But do I personally enjoy the whole Covington spectacle? No. 

• Paid Members

Team CC! Let's go Champ!

I reckon him being ultra crap at the gimmick is what I find most endearing about it. X Pac heat it may be, but he's created a buzz which helps to make his fights feel worth tuning in for.