UFC Newark: Covington vs Lawler - Aug 3 🇺🇸

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?   

11 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

1 minute ago, Guy Bifkin said:

It was a sensational performance from Colby. Him and Usman is going to be a great fight.

Let's just hope that recent events over there mean we won't see an immigration/foreigner angle from Colby. The whole Trump fan vs a non-white immigrant isn't a look that the sport needs at the moment.

• Paid Members

Usman vs Covington is going to be exhausting to even watch. How does that bastard go down? You watch Usman vs Woodley and Covington vs Lawler and then imagine them trying to do that to each other for 25 minutes. The buildup is probably going to be awful but bell-to-bell it’s a really interesting matchup. I want Usman to win, obviously, but I don’t know who I’d actually favour in that one. 

• Paid Members

Just went on Covington's Wiki to check his record (it's exactly the same as Usman's, 15-1), and it seems he was on Impact back in 2017. Would explain his pro-wrestling approach. He probably chatted to someone there who advised him to go full-on pro-wrestling with his shtick. Still doesn't make me hate him any less, though.

I actually think that his "gimmick" is just his own personality cranked up to 100%. 

I don't think his support of the President is a gimmick, he's clearly a proper "troops & the flag" conservative type, which is fine, it takes all types, and I don't think that behind the scenes he's any less of annoying pest. 

He's working with what he's got essentially, and Kudos to him for doing that. 

• Paid Members
3 minutes ago, David said:

I actually think that his "gimmick" is just his own personality cranked up to 100%. 

I don't think his support of the President is a gimmick, he's clearly a proper "troops & the flag" conservative type, which is fine, it takes all types, and I don't think that behind the scenes he's any less of annoying pest. 

He's working with what he's got essentially, and Kudos to him for doing that. 

That's why it doesn't make me hate him any less. The generally-accepted wisdom as regards pro-wrestling gimmicks is simply to turn up your personality, or one aspect of it, up to 11. Somebody at Impact probably told him "Hey, you're a Republican Trump supporter, might as well really push it".

5 minutes ago, Carbomb said:

That's why it doesn't make me hate him any less. The generally-accepted wisdom as regards pro-wrestling gimmicks is simply to turn up your personality, or one aspect of it, up to 11. Somebody at Impact probably told him "Hey, you're a Republican Trump supporter, might as well really push it".

With the polarising sentiment surrounding Trump at the moment, why shouldn't he? It's a no-brainer. Actually getting Trump's sons into the building cheering him on and a Tweet from Trump wishing him well was a master stroke. 

It'll have the conservatives cheering him on even more, while the liberals will want him to get destroyed.

• Paid Members

Absolutely. Not saying it's not working, I'm just saying I reckon it was that sojourn in TNA that probably prompted him to do that stuff. Like wand, though, it doesn't make me want to watch him, let alone pay to do so.

13 minutes ago, David said:

A few people who are familiar with him have said this. He's meant to have been a dickhead in college. 

It was ironic that he used Matt Hughes's accident to play up to his heelish persona. Although Colby is a knob, he's probably nowhere near as bad as Hughes. 

• Paid Members
6 hours ago, Carbomb said:

Just went on Covington's Wiki to check his record (it's exactly the same as Usman's, 15-1), and it seems he was on Impact back in 2017. Would explain his pro-wrestling approach. He probably chatted to someone there who advised him to go full-on pro-wrestling with his shtick. Still doesn't make me hate him any less, though.

Yeh, Colby was part of the ATT angle they had going with Dan Lambert and Bobby Lashley. I didn't see any of it but it's meant to have been pretty good.

• Paid Members
9 hours ago, David said:

I think the general belief was that Colby would be shooting for takedowns and trying to avoid the standup entirely, as Lawler would eventually catch him with a bomb and put him down. When Colby not only didn't avoid the standup but actively took it to Lawler on the feet with some excellent volume striking I think it confused a lot of people.

Its a similar approach to what GSP adopted, the threat of the takedown will completely shut a striker down because if you aint preparing to stop a takedown you'll end up on your ass, and because of that someone like Covington can comfortably trade with a superior striker. The guys a nightmare opponent.

Edited by Egg Shen

Man, Covington went to town on his critics this week, didn't he? After Jon Jones Tweeted that "Robbie just let the whole world down" Covington bounced back with:

“Jon Jones, he’s out there talking s*it about Robbie Lawler letting the world down? Jon Jones knows firsthand about letting the whole world down,” Covington stated. “Don’t talk about Robbie Lawler, Jon Jones. Robbie Lawler’s not wrecking a Bentley with hookers in the back of his car. Robbie Lawler’s not hitting a pregnant lady and then fleeing the scene with all his drugs in the car. Robbie Lawler’s a legend, he’s a family man, he’s a first ballot Hall of Famer."

“So how dare Jon Jones talk about him when he’s the biggest piece of s*it in all of sports.”

Woodley wasn't spared either:

“I begged to fight [Woodley] for three years and he ran,” Covington said. “Oh I’ll fight Nate Diaz or GSP (Georges St-Pierre) but I won’t fight Colby’. He gets elective surgery, he begs the UFC not to fight me and now he’s the one who pulled out of this fight. I’ve got to thank him, he pulled out of this fight with a sore thumb and I showed with no training camp and half an eyelid so he can’t really say anything.

“He got burned on Saturday night. He’s irrelevant now, he’s an afterthought now.”

Neither was Askren:

“Ben Askren, come on, man. What can you say? I’m breaking all the records except I’m never going to beat Ben Askren’s record for being knocked out in five seconds,” Covington said. “The worst knockout in the history of the UFC.

“He can’t talk because his career is dead so I don’t even know why Ben Askren is talking. He’s about to be 0-3 in the UFC after Demian Maia dusts him up and we won’t ever have to hear from that bum again.”

Next up was the MMA media:

“All these stupid pundits and so called journalists who don’t even have journalism degrees are out there saying ‘Robbie’s going to knock him out, the only way Colby can win is by taking him down.’ That was my proving point,” Covington told MMA Fighting on Monday. “I wanted to prove to the world that it didn’t matter if it was King Kong in there but it was Robbie Lawler, who is the most dangerous and lethal striker in the division, and I went out there and outclassed him in every martial art there is.

“It just shows how fickle all the media is and how two-faced they are. All these guys let their hate get in the way from reporting the real news that I fought a legend in Robbie Lawler, a first ballot Hall of Famer, a guy that scared Tyron Woodley back into hiding. A guy that Ben Askren is terrified of. Robbie Lawler is a legend, he’s the hardest hitter in the division,” Covington said. “Everybody was saying before the fight all the media ‘oh he’s going to knock him out first round, Colby has no chance to beat him even if he takes him down, Robbie’s going to catch him in the later rounds.’

“What have they got to say now? They’re just trying to downplay my performance, trying to say it was fix, that wasn’t the Robbie we’re used to. What are you talking about? I just dominated him in every facet of the game, broke the record, I made history again throwing the most strikes ever in a UFC fight so they can keep saying what they want but I’m just going to keep breaking records and making the history books.”

Dude is on a roll.

• Paid Members

here's a pretty cool video of Colby with his guard down:

The guys a gimmick, he's doing what he needs to do to get to the top and its his commitment to the gimmick thats won me over this past year.