Sign in to follow this  
PowerButchi

Old Teletext

Fuck yes. 302, straight to football headlines. You never forget.

This is like crack to me:

image.png.40027b724d100db00efe90b5aff74178.png

Remember, 101 should takeĀ youĀ to the index (on Teletext, at least).Ā 

This is fantastic, Butch. Really good find.

Capture.PNG.aac4c67fa4a5adb325a54b09b40d6f81.PNG

Ā 

Edited by Accident Prone

43 minutes ago, Accident Prone said:

Capture.PNG.aac4c67fa4a5adb325a54b09b40d6f81.PNG

Ā 

This is superb. I can't get over 'slightly disabled' whilst trying to picture what kind of dinner lady the 46yo from Lancashire ended up with.

You could cheat at Bamboozle?!

Aside from the BBC Football pages, Digitiser was the best, I still check out the current incarnation of it daily.

30 minutes ago, Arch Stanton said:

You could cheat at Bamboozle?!

Yeah, at least on the TV my mum had you could. When you hit the fasttext button for the answer generally if you were wrong it would take a bit for the wrong answer page to load, that gave you enough time to hit one of the other answers.

Ā 

If yiu had quick thumbs you could press all four colours after another before it got around to them. It'd bring up page numbers like

Red =15C

Yellow =15C

Green = 15B

Blue = 15C.

Ā 

15B would be the correct answer. So press green again. You could also cheat manually if teletext was fed through a BBC micro which is was in my schoolĀ 

Edited by PowerButchi

Me and my best mate went to Digitiser Live yesterday, having been to all that Biffo has done over the past few years.

The cruel truth is that the live show was poor, and continued the downward trend of quality of output, since the pilot for Found Footage.

Anyhow, whenever we've been, there're always ex-teletext people talking and discussing all things Ceefax and Teletext. We've met and got to know the chap who drew Bamber Boozler and all the palm trees for the holiday pages, as well as a chap called Peter who worked on Teletext from its inception. He's resurrected it, and runs something called Teefax that you can access with a Pi:

https://www.raspberrypi.org/magpi/teefax/

We've also met Jason Robertson who is slowly extracting actual Teletext data from old VHS and Betamax tapes. We saw a live demo from him a couple of years ago where people bought old tapes along and he'd see what was on them. He managed to extract an entire Teletext page set from a tape of Go Fishing from 1990. People were shouting out numbers, and of course 302 was one of the loudest called.

As harsh as I am on the Digitiser Live show (I hate pretty much all of the final YouTube Found Footage stuff and the Digitiser YouTube show was crap), they're always fun events and there's always a really good atmosphere. We've met some good people at them, who always make a point of coming to say hello again.

As far as I know, no TV channel in Britain has an old-school teletext service any more. I think Racing UK (now Racing TV) was the last one to close theirs. I think RTE still have their Aertel teletext on Sky, but I can't check it right now. A fair few countries in Europe still run teletext services, Germany, Netherlands, Austria, Italy, Hungary, Spain and Sweden spring to mind. I don't think there's any left outside Europe.

15 hours ago, scratchdj said:

As harsh as I am on the Digitiser Live show (I hate pretty much all of the final YouTube Found Footage stuff and the Digitiser YouTube show was crap), they're always fun events and there's always a really good atmosphere. We've met some good people at them, who always make a point of coming to say hello again.

The first few episodes were a bit awkward, but the last few I felt they really hitĀ their stride. But I was all ready fan of Paul, Eli and Larry beforehandĀ so everyone felt familiar.

I'm glad I gave the live show miss though as I can't see thatĀ being any good without the editing that goes into it.

Just seenĀ this for sale.

DBEE6364-5110-4B0E-8752-09814D33D936.jpeg

Edited by scratchdj