Fatty Facesitter's Snooker Loopy thread

Fatty Facesitter

• Paid Members

Milkins was superb, but for a fair few frames this morning Perry looked like he'd never played snooker before and he didn't know which end of the cue to hold. Pressure and momentum are amazing things to see applied in sport. Both can kill you no matter how good you are. 

Incredible turnaround by Milkins. If the second week of the worldies can live up to what this has been so far we're in for an absolute treat. Milkins just has that quality you get with the odd gameshow contestant as well where you're like "Yes, that's me! I'd look bemused and stunned I'm on TV too!" 

All aboaaaaaard!

spacer.png

I've been absolutely shattered all day, genuinely walking around like a zombie throughout work and the rest of my day since waking up.

Saw a couple of frames of Si vs Murphy and Si 9-6 up and got sucked in way past when I desperately needed to sleep.

Thought it had all been for nothing for a while there but Si did fantastically well to get over the line and always great to see that absolute pellet Murphy out on his arse.

• Paid Members

Brilliant match and an incredible win against the man of the season. I thought when Smurph was battling back and they lifted the divider that Si would crumble under the pressure. He almost threw it away with a rogue pink attempt at the end, but Murphy got himself in a right bother to hand it right back to him. 

There goes my bet as well - and now we’ll have to suffer Shaun in the commentary box for the rest of the tournament too!

Edited by Fatty Facesitter

I particularly enjoyed the commentator's line at the end "there goes Shaun, always the sportsman, offering Si a handshake" as though shaking hands wasn't something routinely done at the end of every match and also ignoring entirely Murphy's smug face desperately trying to force a grin as he was absolutely seething.

Fancy Ronnie to go to town on Vafei today. Whilst ROS may well be a knob of a guy, he's the greatest to ever pick up a cue.

spacer.png

Well what can you say about Hoss/Rocket. Just about the most scripted-to-disaster result possible for Vafaei after all the build up. I'm glad they walked out almost arm in arm.

I think Ronnie's match against Brecel will be tough for him. Brecel's what Vafaei wanted to be this week. He seems to just show up with his fifteen minutes practice after being up all night smoking bifters playing FIFA with his mates, and just rolls over people playing really attractive snooker. The occasion won't get to him, and that makes him capable against O'Sullivan. 

Allen/O'Sullivan's the ideal final now for me. That could be proper shot for shot, frame for frame stuff. And very tough to call given Allen's current form. 

• Paid Members
On 4/15/2023 at 10:01 AM, Gus Mears said:

As I have done every year for the past 5 without the slightest hint of success, I'm backing Robotson to win.

Another blinding prediction. See you all in 12 months to get it wrong again 

Hoss missed the chance to go full heel after that drubbing. Should have hit Ronnie in the back with his cue after the embrace.

Edited by Gus Mears

• Paid Members

Ronnie's done Handsome Hoss an absolute solid at the end there - he could have chosen to do a token fist bump and make no eye contact before getting out of dodge and burying him in the press conferences, leaving Vafaei to wallow in his words while he sat there beaten, victimised, humbled and distraught, his stock with the snooker public being low enough for them to look at him as a laughing stock. Instead, Ronnie completely diffused any bad blood and chose to give him a cuddle and choose love, not war. As a result, Hoss is forgiven, the beef is squashed and it's immediately been put down as a lesson learned and everyone moves on. 

I thought Ronnie showed real class in doing that, and also in his BBC and WST interviews too - he referenced his own verbal sparring with Stephen Hendry back in the day and how Hendry didn't talk to him for two years until he apologised, and how that hurt him because it was his hero. It's nice to see Ronnie actually learned from that and used his experience to diffuse the situation. He really put Hoss over as a future world champion and someone who has tons of potential. 

The WST media element is quite interesting to me - for a good ten years or so now, Ronnie has been very anti-WST when it comes to doing anything for them and has had regular pops at the upper management of the game, including multiple jabs at Barry Hearn, and more recently Steve Dawson in the build up to this tournament. During press conferences he's usually very irritable because he keeps getting asked the same questions. However, on the tournament media day he took part in a great piece with WST's social team where kids got to interview some of the pros, and in his post-match conferences and interviews he's been extremely relaxed, patient and has put real thought into his responses as opposed to going off on tangents. 

We shouldn't necessarily praise him for doing the bare minimum or being polite in his interviews, but he seems ridiculously calm, relaxed and I think he's shown some great maturity, which hasn't always been the case at some of these tournaments. As if he wasn't dangerous enough already - this will make him all the moreso. 

48 minutes ago, DavidB6937 said:

I don't watch snooker enough to really understand the "disrespect" of the break. I'm assuming it's not actually breaking any rules or anything but it's not expected practice?

Not a rule, more "in the spirit of the game".

Like when you draw a frame and go to a black ball decider, if you win the toss you should take the shot and not put your opponent in. Lisowski did exactly that the other day.

But it's not a rule so he's free to do as he pleases.

• Paid Members

I love Kyren Wilson because he's the goodest of good eggs, and fair play to John Higgins, but it's so disappointing to see him go out to such a big margin. Was barely a contest. At this rate the Class of 92 will go on for another ten years - it just feels like nobody is ready to properly dethrone them. Trump and Wilson should be spearheading this era of the sport, yet they're still playing second fiddle to them.