Fatty Facesitter's Snooker Loopy thread

Fatty Facesitter

• Paid Members

In all the commotion and during my time spent in a cell after my protest this afternoon - I’ve neglected to give Big Hoss my congratulations. 

Here’s the thing - I love the jabs he’s giving Ronnie. It’s box office, and there’s no doubt our Handsome Hoss can play. But to go at Ronnie like that without having played him at the Crucible is a bold move - and I just hope it doesn’t come back to bite him where it hurts. 

Interestingly they’ve only played three times against each other - first, Ronnie beats him twice 4-1 in a couple of routine best of 7s. The last time they played though - the 2022 German Masters, Vafaei walloped him 5-0 and made at least a 50+ break in each frame. 

He’s played in some big matches but he will never have played in an atmosphere like he’ll get playing Ronnie in Sheffield. It brings with it a totally different kind of pressure, especially if you’ve been giving it the big’un pre-match - he might be at the table early on and think “Blimey, I hope I don’t miss here otherwise he’s going to absolutely muller me”. If Ronnie builds up a head of steam, as good as Vafaei is, that will be such a tough mountain to climb. If he does lose, the press will absolutely hound him for it as well and I’d hate to see that happen to such a charismatic and good-natured sort.

Think I’ve told this story before but I was at the tournament where he had his first deep run - reaching the semi’s of the 2019 Welsh Open. His post-match presser from his quarter final win is the only time in all my years of covering events that I’ve ever come close to pissing myself. This is very immature -

He was talking about finding it difficult because he had nobody in Iran to practice with to get better etc. He repeatedly, and totally innocently, kept talking about playing with himself. I kept playing with myself. I was playing with myself a lot. It’s been very hard playing with myself, etc. I think he might have said something about his tip and not having anyone to help him with his tip in Iran. I was absolutely dying and desperately trying to keep it together and I’m not even sure I totally got away with it.

Edited by Fatty Facesitter

Wait...am I team Hoss? Here he is again talking absolute crazy shit about shutting mouths and disrespecting families. 

"You think you're special, you do, I can see it in your eyes..."

• Paid Members

I don't advocate live discussion as you all know, so I certainly wouldn't tell you to check out the BBC feed of table one from around the 11:40 mark on the timer (match is still in progress). I also certainly wouldn't tell you that the break is so mad towards the end because he keeps running out of position. I also wouldn't tell you that I got goosebumps when he got down for the yellow - with the white closer towards the bottom half of the table - and Dennis Taylor mentions that Cliff Thorburn had to attempt the very same shot when making his famous maximum all those years ago. 

Fucking brilliant. This sport is the bloody best. 

EDIT - Eurosport have already uploaded the full break. 

Edited by Fatty Facesitter

What a crazy tournament it's been so far. Robertson makes two 146 breaks, Wilson gets a 147, the protester thing, an appearance from Henry Hoover. There's still 13 days to go.

Unfortunately I missed the 147 as my son was watching the Teletubbies which is the only thing he likes watching more than snooker.

Hopefully Trump beats McGill and we get Trump vs Lisowski in the next round. McGill seems to wake up at the World Championship though so it's not an easy first round match for Trump.

Edited by Pork Pie

Trump out = good TV. Highly rate him as a player needless to say but I can't stand his glum countenance sitting there even when he's ahead. One of the better heavy hitters to drop out early in place of a wildcard. 

• Paid Members

Strange to see Judd go so off the boil this season even with his Masters win - such an immense talent. Sounds as though he's been predominantly practising alone rather than against other top pros - he could do far worse than linking up with Lisowski again as they'd surely bring out the best in each other. 

Another superb win in a great season for the Milkman, who has one of the best entrance themes on the tour. What a comeback and I'm pleased WST reversed a decision this morning to let them play to conclusion rather than forcing them to return in an evening session. 

Second round kicks off today with Williams vs Brecel - hard to believe we're a few days in now already. 

• Paid Members

Perry vs Milkins for my sleeper hit of the round and delivered. It's been a banner few days for me; Handsome Hoss, Family Man Wilson and the Milkman all getting through.

So pleased for Milkins generally. One of the few 'everyman' where the label fits. Wallowing in debt and on the piss half the time to a pair of titles titles, a run at the Crucible and that players series bonus in his late 40's. Made up that he isn't having to worry about putting food on the table for his kids any more.

Edited by Gus Mears

I know it's unlikely but I'd love to see Milkins go all the way. What a story that would be.

I'm a big Judd Trump fan and it's hard to doubt him as he's such a good player but he was in New York a couple of weeks ago having a good time partying. It's probably not the best preparation for the world championship.

4 minutes ago, Pork Pie said:

I'm a big Judd Trump fan and it's hard to doubt him as he's such a good player but he was in New York a couple of weeks ago having a good time partying. It's probably not the best preparation for the world championship.

I dunno, I don't think this is fair. Everyone prepares for things in their own way and if that's what he deems OK before the World's, can't really blame him.

What is he supposed to do, sit quietly in a room holding his cue for 18 hours a day? I bet that's what Murphy does actually. 😆