Fatty Facesitter's Snooker Loopy thread

Fatty Facesitter

• Paid Members

Wallop. That was so much fun to watch. It has to be said though, it's more to do with Ronnie absolutely shitting the bed. Allen, Higgins or Selby won't give him that kind of chance to play a session like that I feel. He can definitely win it, but he's always gonna rely on his opponents game not being on point.

Hoping for Si vs Brecel semi though. That will be absolute chaos.

• Paid Members

file-8.thumb.jpeg.b4b5d6fcbc7d7b029ffa720fc2d088db.jpeg.e6eacaf132acfebb665ee3151db02848.jpeg

An old picture from my first Crucible stint and the branding is now out of date, but to me there are few finer sights in sport than the one-table Crucible setup. Spine-tingling stuff. 

Luca Brecel is fast becoming one of my favourites. Who else prepares for just 15 minutes before getting smashed and playing Fifa with his mates? Strikes the ball so quickly and beautifully. Mesmerising to watch. 

Si Jiahui has has the tournament of his life - the kid's 20 years old and he's been slugging it out since round two of the qualifiers at the English Institute of Sport, playing over 100 frames of snooker in this spell. To hold his own against McGill in that decider was something else. Whatever happens from this point, I hope he can avoid the pitfalls if his compatriots caught up in he match-fixing scandal and I hope he can sustain this sort of form rather than dropping like a stone in the rankings next season, because he's excellent to watch. 

Mark Selby is probably the favourite now and let's give him his flowers - he's an absolute titan in this competition. You could argue he's already amongst the greats with four titles to his name, but five would cement his status as a legend long before he hangs up his cue. At this point he's the most likely to catch up to Ronnie and Hendry's magnificent 7. 

Mark Allen didn't play his best stuff against Jak Jones, but his season has culminated superbly and it would be fitting for him to take the crown after a bumper campaign. On his day there's nothing he can't do on the table. He seems to have really turned his life around off of it too and perhaps winning here would allow to him really close the chapter of the first part of his career and move forward with a new leaf. 

Bring on the semis (Super Bacon don't you dare put that in out of context). 

I've seen quite a few comments saying Si can't win with his lack of defence game and while he does need to get a lot better at that, if you was his coach you'd surely be telling him to keep doing what he has been. The way he plays has brought him to the semi-final of the world championship so something has been working.

If he was to get to the final and face Selby he's not going to keep up with him in the safety department so he may as well attack and play to his current strength. 

I've absolutely loved watching Si Jiahui play this tournament and really hope he wins the entire thing.

For the love of god could we please all chip in and get him a better suit if he makes the final.

Looks like he's borrowed one off his big brother for his first job interview.

Si/Brecel Vs. Selby would definitely have a nice Dry Pragmatism Vs. Completely Insane tinge to it where you'd figure Selby would be a strong favourite, but with there definitely being something to cheer on for the final at least. 

I'd love for Si to go all the way now. Something so breakneck and unexpected that content editors at Eurosport and BBC must be busy as we speak scrambling to stitch together "Wait, who the fuck is this guy?" explainer videos. 

Edited by Gay as FOOK

I don't think I've seen someone miss so many balls at the Crucible and yet do so well as Si is doing. 

He's reminding me of watching Jimmy White when I was a kid. He can pot balls from anywhere on the table but will miss a simple black off the spot. And for that I can't help but be rooting for him.

What an entertaining semi final between Si and Brecel. Really wish it was the final because I'm just as happy to see either win and enjoying being able to just thoroughly enjoy the snooker on display.

As good as Allen and Selby are as players I don't particularly like either and for me the feel of a face vs face semi and a heel vs heel semi at least gives me a vested interest in the eventual winner come Monday regardless of the outcome of the semi's, which is a nice change.

• Paid Members

Pretty much the perfect day of snooker to me. Watching two young guys knocking them in off the lampshades, and two experienced match players try and outwit each other. I love both sides to the game and I LOVE that each semi-final offers it's own intrigue. It's always odd to me when I enjoy watch a long interesting tactical frame, and then Hazel starts apologising for it 'that wasn't fun to watch!' Well speak for yourself Hazel, I fucking loved it.

Snooker is neither one thing or the other, it's both. That's why I love watching it so much. People who say it should only be played one way (looking at you Hendry) are talking out of their arse. As long as the standard is high I'll gobble up every frame the BBC shows.

Still hard to believe Brecel or Si can win it for me, I just can't see Selby or Allen giving them the chances they need to score. But it'll be fun to watch either way.

1 hour ago, Chilly McFreeze said:

Snooker is neither one thing or the other, it's both. That's why I love watching it so much. People who say it should only be played one way (looking at you Hendry) are talking out of their arse. As long as the standard is high I'll gobble up every frame the BBC shows.

As much as I enjoy good break building I love watching a good tactical battle or players just taking on crazy shots that they probably shouldn't. I forget who's match it was but a few days ago they just kept nudging on to the same red over and over until the referee stepped in and told them to move things along. While some probably thought it was terrible I was loving it.