The Smackers Thread

PowerButchi

30 minutes ago, Supremo said:

I wonder what Cody’s doing whilst The Rock is re-posting positive videos on his Instagram, like a teenager trying to pretend everything’s going great?

Just giving blind people the best times of their lives, of course. He’s unbelievable.

This whole shitshow might be my own villain origin story. Furious.

The nice looking promo video they did for Rhodes/Rollins on smackdown, with the whole 'do you want to be ultimate warrior or ric flair? Do you want to be Hogan or Dusty?' Looked great, but fuck me it's completely the opposite of the point of Cody isn't it? His whole 'story' was proving that a Rhodes could be considered alongside the Hogan's and Warrior's, and could be the Champion in New York. Not that he could win an equivalent title to what his dad also won.

Edited by d-d-d-dAz

The suggestion they’re backed into a corner or will be concerned about this backlash is completely wrong. This backlash has achieved what they needed the reactions to - Vince who?

I wouldn’t be surprised if the extras around The Rock proposing he wins were purposely leaked. They leaked a few things before the Rumble about Cody not winning and pivots to Cody/Punk too when the plan was evidently Cody all along. I don’t buy that this wasn’t a short term call from the TKO higher ups on the back of the Vince news.

18 minutes ago, FUM said:

The suggestion they’re backed into a corner or will be concerned about this backlash is completely wrong. This backlash has achieved what they needed the reactions to - Vince who?

I wouldn’t be surprised if the extras around The Rock proposing he wins were purposely leaked. They leaked a few things before the Rumble about Cody not winning and pivots to Cody/Punk too when the plan was evidently Cody all along. I don’t buy that this wasn’t a short term call from the TKO higher ups on the back of the Vince news.

What's the benefit to them turning the fans on The Rock though? He's had a very good relationship with the fans for many years and that's always been important to him. Surely there's no way they'd deliberately tank that.

14 minutes ago, DavidB6937 said:

What's the benefit to them turning the fans on The Rock though? He's had a very good relationship with the fans for many years and that's always been important to him. Surely there's no way they'd deliberately tank that.

Fair comment.

I guess I still hold out on “they didn’t officially confirm it”.

5 hours ago, RedRooster said:

One of the most face-palming aspects of this is that they’ve fumbled one of the last remaining dream matches that they have to offer. A lot of the people pissed off by this would be genuinely interested in Reigns/Rock in different circumstances

Spot on.

It’s such a collision of events.  They knew they fucked it last year with Cody (I still suspect that’s a Vince decision) so they spent a year building up to do it properly.

Then Punk unexpectedly drops into their lap, so they have a rethink, tease a course correction.  Then The Rock decides he’s game for Wrestlemania which they just can’t ignore, and THEN the smouldering Vince story blows up.  Oh and Punk does a Punk.

They’ve tried to keep all these balls in the air and in the process messed everything up.

You’ve got fans upset about Cody, fans crying about people NOT being upset about Cody, wrestlers openly criticising the booking, The Rock acting like a teenager on Instagram.  All of which detracts from the interest that this dream match should have generated.

There’s no Mr McMahon to blame either, this is on HHH’s watch entirely.

I’m not sure how exactly they could have tied all this together and pleased everyone, but this definitely isn’t it.  That last segment on Smackers has closed too many options.

I may even cancel my The Rock Duvet Set order in protest.  I wonder if the Vin Diesel ones are still on special offer?

Edited by Loki

8 minutes ago, Loki said:

Spot on.

It’s such a collision of events.  They knew they fucked it last year with Cody (I still suspect that’s a Vince decision) so they spent a year building up to do it properly.

Then Punk unexpectedly drops into their lap, so they have a rethink, tease a course correction.  Then The Rock decides he’s game for Wrestlemania which they just can’t ignore, and THEN the smouldering Vince story blows up.  Oh and Punk does a Punk.

They’ve tried to keep all these balls in the air and in the process messed everything up.

You’ve got fans upset about Cody, fans crying about people NOT being upset about Cody, wrestlers openly criticising the booking, The Rock acting like a teenager on Instagram.  All of which detracts from the interest that this dream match should have generated.

There’s no Mr McMahon to blame either, this is on HHH’s watch entirely.

I’m not sure how exactly they could have tied all this together and pleased everyone, but this definitely isn’t it.  That last segment on Smackers has closed too many options.

I may even cancel my The Rock Duvet Set order in protest.  I wonder if the Vin Diesel ones are still on special offer?

Great post.

The fascinating thing about it, and what makes it such a spectacular omnishambles, is that they've written it in such a way that there is no easy outs and everyone is just going to look more of a cunt were they even to try.

Even people saying 'Jey Uso can talk sense into Cody'... even if you accept that their history means Cody looks okay having a rethink, then what? Is The Rock really signing off on a triple threat? Does anyone win by them running both nights with Roman?

Like I say, the closest I've got to seeing an idea that would at least half check out from a logical perspective is someone convinces Cody to have a rethink, and in so doing he exposes that The Rock is actually working with Roman and they were planning their own fingerpoke of doom moment but Cody foils it and overcomes the Bloodline en route to Rock/Roman in 2025. But... The Rock isn't pissing about as a bit part heel is he? So even that's completely stupid.

I don't think they have an out. I just think they've fucked it. 

I hate him, but I hope Rollins responds by being utterly furious and actually becoming good and him and Cody steal the weekend, whilst The Rock has a funny turn trying to do a jog. Stupid steroid munching egg.

Im still so super confused how this supposed fictional conversation went when Cody was getting advice from his mates, family and pet dog.

After many of them either suggestion he pick Roman (you were so close last year, and it would means so much to your father) or Seth (ooooh... you could make that belt something special, and Roman does have those nasty cousins on the outside) he decides to ring up The Rock.

Cody: Hey Rocky, need your advice; do you think I should face Roman or Seth at Mania?

Rock: Neither.

Cody: Huh?

Rock: Do you know what you should do? 

Cody: What?

Rock: Give me YOUR title shot. It's the last thing he'll be expecting. That way I can take the belt and be the new head of the table.

Cody: Holy.... that's.... THAT'S GENIUS.

Meanwhile Brandi is in the background desperately trying to wave at her husband and mouthing "NOOOOOOOO".

The whole thing narratively is rediculous. We need a episode of Being the Elite where someone wins a battle royale on Dynamite and Omega makes his return and just casually convinces them to give him the world title match reward. 

• Paid Members
6 hours ago, andrew "the ref" coyne said:

Cody: Hey Rocky, need your advice; do you think I should face Roman or Seth at Mania?

Rock: Neither.

That’s not really what’s implied. He’s going to choose Seth for his title shot so Rock is free to challenge Reigns. Cue weeks of shenanigans as Heyman tries to get Roman out of it. Or try and insist on non title. But we aren’t supposed to think Cody is giving up his title shot at Mania. He’s just not taking it at Reigns.

Any concerns that this whole wretched affair might give Seth a new lease of life seem to have been put to rest.

Crumbling? Mate, the old guard have just consigned you, and particularly Cody, to presumably the middle of Night 1 of the four night buy-one-get-one-free extravaganza.

Funny how WWE cut an angle last night at a house show where Nakamura spat in the face of Cody Rhodes. Freud is tossing (off) in his grave. 

Woke up still angry at the whole thing. Load of shite. Hope Rock has a headache.

1 hour ago, air_raid said:

That’s not really what’s implied. He’s going to choose Seth for his title shot so Rock is free to challenge Reigns. Cue weeks of shenanigans as Heyman tries to get Roman out of it. Or try and insist on non title. But we aren’t supposed to think Cody is giving up his title shot at Mania. He’s just not taking it at Reigns.

I'd say fair enough, but what's really weird is none of the official wwe accounts are saying he's chose  Seth. Only he isn't taking on Reigns...

This is from wwe.com smackdown results:

"Cody Rhodes made his shocking decision, choosing not to face Roman Reigns at WrestleMania, allowing The Rock to step up to the Tribal Chief!"

Makes me think wwe are withholding his official decision to see how it goes... or they are going triple threat route.

30 minutes ago, andrew "the ref" coyne said:

I'd say fair enough, but what's really weird is none of the official wwe accounts are saying he's chose  Seth. Only he isn't taking on Reigns...

This is from wwe.com smackdown results:

"Cody Rhodes made his shocking decision, choosing not to face Roman Reigns at WrestleMania, allowing The Rock to step up to the Tribal Chief!"

Makes me think wwe are withholding his official decision to see how it goes... or they are going triple threat route.

Whether they change course or not, I think the original answer to this is boring. They probably just want(ed) three bites of the news cycle cherry.

1) ROCK MAKES SHOCKING WWE RETURN AS CODY DECLINES ROMAN

2) CODY VS ROLLINS OFFICIAL FOR MANIA AS CODY SAYS: "FIRST ILL PROVE IM AS GOOD AS MY DAD, THEN ILL PROVE IM BETTER WHEN I BEAT ROMAN AT SOME POINT IN THE FUTURE. PROMISE "

3) ROCK V ROMAN OFFICIAL FOR MANIA AS BIG EGG DEFIES CARDIOLOGISTS WARNINGS AT MANIA PRESS CONFERENCE

....Vince who?

• Paid Members

This year at Survivor Series, d-d-d-daz presents.... Kinky Auntie Undertaker vs The Egg in a "Loser rebranded as Gobbledygooker" match.

43 minutes ago, Mr_Danger said:

What’s he got against Sid like the zoot suit twat.

Could be one of two things. He could either have been going for the "made champion because of image, not because of being any good" smark angle, or "he was a champion but you couldn't always guarantee he was coming to work" sideways jab at Roman.

Can I segue into talking about mid-90s WWF? Sid mentioned in the same breath as Warrior is funny given their history. First time round Sid famously stopped coming to work because he didn't want to deal with Warrior's bullshit anymore. Second time round they called Sid because they couldn't always advertise Warrior and guarantee he'd actually show up. 12 months later they eventually let Sid go for pretty much the same reason. Irony is apparently spelled S-I-D.

As there's 8 weeks to go - couldn't this just be chapter 1 in a story that sees it becoming Rhodes/Rock/Roman in a Triple Threat? I imagine with Rock then doing the honours so Rhodes becomes champ but Reigns can later come back to say he was never actually beaten. 

There's just such a long time to go and I reckon a lot of it could be to build further groundswell support for Cody.