The Smackers Thread

PowerButchi

Dreadful booking. Typical WWE can't read (or refuses to) read the room again. All that build up and then just nah, not doing this. 

I agree there isn't anything wrong with Rock-Reigns per se, but to replace it after what they've been building up, bit shit really.

46 minutes ago, wordsfromlee said:

Maybe they'll do a kind of 10 year anniversary special of the Daniel Bryan storyline and say if Cody can beat Seth for the title on night one, he'll be put into the Rock/Reigns match on night two. Ends up walking away from Mania with two belts.

At this rate you'll get a 10 year anniversary of trying to finish the story.

11 minutes ago, The King of Old School said:

It's been pretty obvious they have wanted this match with Rock/Roman for years, good to do it while they can.

Plenty of time for Cody to finish this never ending story he's telling.

Will we care in a year? I doubt it. Rock vs Roman is Saudi level shite. Stick it on there so nobody has to be subjected to it. 

'...the story', to the extent it ever meant anything in the first place, is over isn't it?

Last night, they had Cody Rhodes finish the story.

After a year of saying Rollins title was great but not the one he wanted, of Triple H saying he was the future, and of hinting they were going to do Roman/Cody.. the character of Cody Rhodes decided against it. He won the Royal Rumble, had all the cards in his hands, looked into the eyes of Roman Reigns and said 'no thanks lad.'

It's over. The story is finished. And, like every story the WWE has told since 2001, the ending was 'wasn't 1999 good?'.

1 hour ago, JNLister said:

There's nothing wrong with doing Rock-Reigns at WrestleMania.

There's a lot wrong with putting all that effort and storyline logic into building up Rhodes-Reigns and then doing Rock-Reigns.

I think it's this.

Rock v Roman is fine, and was a dead cert to happen at some point, but I don't think the plan was to do it this year. After the rumble it was 100% telegraphed that Rhodes was going after Roman to finish the job, other wise why waste the back to back rumble wins as well, if the plan was for him to challenge Seth there were other ways to get there.

Then with the injury to Punk, the Vince fallout and seemingly Brock being banished I guess it threw all plans into chaos and left them reeling trying to do something to divert the attention. 

Even though I am 99.9% sure he is just gonna turn up on Raw and accept Seth's challenge I am slightly intrigued that he didn't confirm that on Smackdown and alluded to still coming after Reigns. Is there ANY chance at all that he could challenge and beat (stupid as it may be) Roman at the Chamber and then have his first defense at Mania, or beath Seth and then beat Roman at Backlash to put the nail in the coffin...which completely wastes splitting the belts.

Both are stupid ideas which won't happen, but we are in a very weird place right now...

7 minutes ago, TheScarlettChad said:

Will we care in a year? I doubt it. Rock vs Roman is Saudi level shite. Stick it on there so nobody has to be subjected to it. 

Is it though? It's absolutely a Mania worthy match and I think any suggestion otherwise is just blinded by the fact they've gone about it in such a terrible manner.

1 minute ago, thatvinylgeek said:

I think it's this.

Rock v Roman is fine, and was a dead cert to happen at some point, but I don't think the plan was to do it this year. After the rumble it was 100% telegraphed that Rhodes was going after Roman to finish the job, other wise why waste the back to back rumble wins as well, if the plan was for him to challenge Seth there were other ways to get there.

Then with the injury to Punk, the Vince fallout and seemingly Brock being banished I guess it threw all plans into chaos and left them reeling trying to do something to divert the attention. 

Even though I am 99.9% sure he is just gonna turn up on Raw and accept Seth's challenge I am slightly intrigued that he didn't confirm that on Smackdown and alluded to still coming after Reigns. Is there ANY chance at all that he could challenge and beat (stupid as it may be) Roman at the Chamber and then have his first defense at Mania, or beath Seth and then beat Roman at Backlash to put the nail in the coffin...which completely wastes splitting the belts.

Both are stupid ideas which won't happen, but we are in a very weird place right now...

I'm convinced he beats Rollins, is immediately attacked by Solo and Priest cashes in to win the title.

Then, to try and rebuild Cody and apologise to him in story form, they run an angle where Roman Reigns is so self conscious about Cody not choosing him, and worried that Cody outshines him as a star, and that Triple H called Cody the future, he sent his cousin to try and take him out.

Is it likely that originally cody was gonna be in the main event possibly in a triple threat match with the rock and roman and rollins v punk on night one? If so you can see wwe's dilemma. They had a solid main event for night one. But then punk gets injured. They don't have another wrestler that is really viable. So the only thing they can do is put cody on night one and have the rock v roman on night two. 

If anyone can save it, it's Cody. He's got the connection with the crowd and has delivered several epic promos since coming back.

Now they've done this, the key now is how Cody explains it on RAW going forward, him and Seth need promos knocking it out the park for the next few weeks and you might just be about be able to salvage Cody and get that feel good moment at WrestleMania when he wins the belt on night 1. I trust Cody can deliver.

Worst thing to happen now is for Seth to end up not being fit in time, Codys story is really fucked then if he ends up in some weird match for a vacant belt. 

Rock vs Roman is massive though, intenet forum geeks like us might cry about it, but as was seen in the arena last night, they're up for this. It'll get huge mainstream attention, the crowd reactions for Rock will be off the charts leading up to it. Wrestlemania night itself might be slightly different as we know the type of crowd's that go to that, but you're kidding yourself if you think it's not a big match and no one wants it.