Bombastic Thurman Bob Sparky Plug Sparkplug Hardcore Holly

Onyx2

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Awards Moderator
22 minutes ago, Fox Piss said:

What the fuck was Bob doing in 96/97? I can't remember him at all during that period. 

As per wiki

Despite lasting nearly 40 minutes in the Royal Rumble, Holly made very few television appearances in the WWF throughout 1996 and 1997.

I guess he was working the house show circuit (I'm sure cagematch could confirm) but creative had nothing for him. Until that terrible New Midnight Express, sure. 

• Paid Members

In two minds. I was never really into him outside of the Hardcore stuff around 1998-2000, took offence to him being put in a PPV main event at any point and fell for all the "Holly is evil" stuff after the Cappotelli beating. 

With a bit of hindsight though, I find his "big shot" stuff even funnier than I did at the time and I've a greater appreciation of his ring work. He was really good and his stuff looked great - even when he wasn't actually stuffing folk. His selling is good, his punches are great and his comebacks have bags of fire. He just was never that interesting doing it.

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, Fox Piss said:

What the fuck was Bob doing in 96/97? I can't remember him at all during that period. 

I remember Austin beating him on Raw in the run up to his Survivor Series 96 match with Bret. That’s it. Don’t recall seeing him again until the New Midnight Express bollocks in 98. 

Holly was OK. Can’t pretend I was a big fan at any point. I liked his brief team with 123 Kid, some of his hardcore title run and his stuff with Crash. 

He also had a little one show angle and match with Triple H on Sunday Night Heat in 2000 that I was fond of. Which, if my memory serves me correctly, started because Triple H caught Bob eating fruit out of the McMahon-Helmsley dressing room. Serious shit.

And here it is;

• Paid Members

He was at a Southside show in Nottingham a few years ago.  I was in the toilet having a piss before the show and Holly walked in in a grey tracksuit.  He obviously needed a shit, but all the cubicles were taken.  Just to be sure, he went up to each one and lightly thumped on the door.  When none opened, he walked off looking a bit perturbed.  That is my abiding Hardcore Holly memory.  

2 hours ago, wandshogun09 said:

I remember Austin beating him on Raw in the run up to his Survivor Series 96 match with Bret. That’s it. Don’t recall seeing him again until the New Midnight Express bollocks in 98. 

Holly was OK. Can’t pretend I was a big fan at any point. I liked his brief team with 123 Kid, some of his hardcore title run and his stuff with Crash. 

He also had a little one show angle and match with Triple H on Sunday Night Heat in 2000 that I was fond of. Which, if my memory serves me correctly, started because Triple H caught Bob eating fruit out of the McMahon-Helmsley dressing room. Serious shit.

And here it is;

Always remember that match of what a difference a few years make.

At Summerslam '95 they were in the second match of the card in a nothing happening match with Hunter Hearst Helmsley beating Bob "Sparkplug" Holly clean and convincingly.

In June of 2000 Triple H is having a decent main event match where Hardcore Holly more than holds his own and doesn't lose the bout.

• Paid Members

I don't know why, but I always quite liked Bob Holly. I think it's because he had a legitimacy about him, I found it easy to buy into him being a proper hard bastard. I know it's become a cliched criticism, but you can't say that about many of them these days. His miserable old prick persona was also a perfect foil for so many of the WWE's over-the-top characters. He knew his role and played it well.

• Moderators

The opening post has sunk to a new low for picture posts (I think we all know what he looks like in different stock photos, it's not the several gimmicks of Barry Darsow), but I'm a big fan of Bob Holly.

Indeed, I brought in "The Holly Rule" on this forum. His book is fantastic, straight as an arrow. Not afraid to admit his shortcomings. Real solid hand too. I'd say if someone found their level and thrived, it'd be Bob Holly. Great dropkick, solid worker. And "You Little Shithead" was probably the highlight of Wrestlemania 16.

Except for when he was shagging Julia Roberts in the first few SMW tapings then had to leave to become a welder again, He didn't work from those tapings till Corny got him back in in 94

• Awards Moderator
6 hours ago, PowerButchi said:

The opening post has sunk to a new low for picture posts

I'm sorry you don't like it Butch. I like photos punctuating text; you've made it clear for years that you don't. Not everyone does remember, nor was alive when these photos were taken so helps nudge people along. 

Different people have different styles of learning and absorbing information and I know I'm incredibly visual. You clearly get on with text-only and more power to your elbow. 

Still, what a dropkick eh? 

kf3a3dipwy611.gif

• Paid Members

Had the pleasure of meeting Mr. Holly at WrestleCon last year. My brother and I have a running joke where 'Hardcore Holly' is his favourite wrestler. So, naturally when we booked for Mania, I booked to get his signature and what not for him. We ended up having a ten minute chat where Bob referenced his book, a book that my brother had never read, quite a few times. I of course, had read it. He's still incredibly bitter that his Brock match got cut short. That said, he was a jolly nice fellow and despite the joke, me and the bro are pretty big fans.

'You broke my damn neck Brock!'

• Paid Members
11 hours ago, Arch Stanton said:

I don't know why, but I always quite liked Bob Holly. I think it's because he had a legitimacy about him, I found it easy to buy into him being a proper hard bastard. I know it's become a cliched criticism, but you can't say that about many of them these days. His miserable old prick persona was also a perfect foil for so many of the WWE's over-the-top characters. He knew his role and played it well.

I think this sums it up for me as well. I liked him as Hardcore Holly - he came across a bit like the Dudleys, in that people knew they weren't main event, but no main eventers wanted to have to fight them if they didn't have to. Regal was similar, to a certain degree. They'd sometimes get booked as opponents against main eventers as a way for the GM or commissioner to have a go at any wrestler they were at odds with - sort of a "punishment beating" opponent, to put them through hell instead of just winning against them.

Archived