Grub's Up

tiger_rick

• Paid Members

Right, not enough talk about food on here so here's a thread inspired by the "Off Menu" podcast. Pictures are fine but optional. as are specific examples.

Welcome to my restaurant. You're gonna get a starter, main with side and pudding of your choice. It can be anything you've ever had in your life from any time and any where. You can also choose what you want to drink. That's it, thems the only rules. If you want fast food, home cooked, etc, have whatever.

I'll start since I thought of it.

Starter

A toughie to start. I've never been one for starters but I've had two this year that I love. Went to a place in Leeds in the summer and had goats cheese and spinach croquettes that were superb but I'm going for Zizzi's Pea and Mozarella Arancini. I love Arancini anyway, there's an Italian guy in the indoor market in Hull who does a fantastic selection but his are huge. This isn't my pic because I devoured them before I could take photos.

image.png.a4845798258f5de66046e3bf93424ac7.png

Main

This is nigh-on impossible. I generally really like a burger when we eat out and I had a massive one in TGIs in London in 2009 that was incredible. I'm a big fan of Spinach and Ricotta Cannelonni too. I've had some pretty good ones all over but Pizza express are usually good. I'm going for spanakopita though. This one is from a place in Reading. Doesn't look as incredible as it tasted. Admittedly, it did seem slightly strange to have it as a roast dinner with veggie gravy but for taste it was 500/10.

image.png.26d14cb044804d8d69faeea85394e3de.png

Side

I'm pretty well set for a side with all that lot but given this is a one-off, I'll have the goats cheese and spinach croquettes I didn't have as the starter!

Pud

This one is the easiest for me. For all the hundreds of desserts I have consumed down the years, being a fat cunt an' all, I'd have the Jam Roly Poly and custard I made in Year 9 Home Economics. Genuinely don't think I've ever had a more satisfying cooking experience. I remember my Mam loved it which was the seal of approval for me. No pic for obvious reasons!

Drinks

Tap water with Ice and Lemon during the meal. Not because I'm cheap but because I'm a weight-watcher obviously! When I've finished, I'll have a lovely Estrella Damm.

No coffee for me, please, I'm stuffed.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Awards Moderator

This has taken some thought. I’ll probably go back and change all of this in a couple of hours but as it stands I’m happy with my picks.

Starter

I don’t normally do starters. I’m not great with lots of food and if I get full halfway through a meal it tends to do my stomach a mischief if I keep trying to eat more. But this is a hypothetical world and in that I can cope. 

So I’m having the Tomato and Basil Soup from the Tower of London cafe. I remember this being the most gorgeous soup I’ve ever had. You could do your own croutons as well so I went mad with them and it was good.

Main

It’s the Colombian Pulled Beef Wraps from my friend’s wedding buffet a few years ago. Her husband is Colombian so there were loads of things I’d not tried before put out for his relatives. This pulled beef was from heaven, I salivate just thinking about it. Could have sat there and ate it all night if we’d not already had the proper meal that afternoon.

Side

Because Yorkshire puddings probably don’t count as a side I’ll have the Sweet Potato fries from the Fat Hippo in Newcastle. Game changers. I’d go sweet potato fries over regular chips any day now and it’s all due to these wonderful guys.

Dessert

I’m a dessert guy so this is the real tough choice. My nana’s rice pudding was the stuff of legend. To have Mrs Luke’s rainbow cake from first school again... gelato from Rome ... but I’m going to have my mate Andy’s White Chocolate Cheesecake. I don’t know how he does it but I could eat a whole one and still want more. Ah.

Drink

Yeah, Tap water is fine for me too.

Good thread Rick!

• Awards Moderator

Great podcast that I've mainlined this week and great thread. Mine's not as poncy as you would expect. 

Poppadoms or bread? I'm having bread, and I had rolls once laminated with beef dripping and it was so beefy and moreish. Amazeballs. 

Starter

The buffalo wings Chili's used to do. Dripping in feckin' hot Frank's vinegary sauce, cooled by the blue cheese with a crunchy shell there's nothing that hits all the spots. 

Main

Rib eye steak for two that my wife and I shared at an anniversary meal at Barbecoa. Just pure savoury, with crusty bark on the outside and blushing pink near the bone. We sat and ate this overlooking St Paul's, a fab meal. 

Side 

Roast potatoes, duh. Yukon gold, in pork fat with lots of garlic, rosemary and thyme. 

Dessert 

The honeycomb cheesecake at Pizza Express is so much better than it sounds. It's sweet and crunchy, with creamy filling.

Drink

Full fat coke. I just love it. It's my biggest weakness. 

• Paid Members

Yes!! 
OK, so i'm tackling this in the mind frame of someone who isn't on a diet and each is a signature dish from specific restaurants. It's meat heavy and all could pass as mains in fairness.

Drink - Pints of Weird Weather by Mikkeller. It's alcohol free and one of the best beers I've ever tasted.
weirdweather.jpg.10028beca3ef31b06b6e5d28ee65fed6.jpg

Starters - Beef & Leek Noodle Soup (from Nudo, Newcastle). First dish i had there and it's such a tasty classic.
16148728_beefleek.JPG.ca2c5c33e804511656d84dd129b30c99.JPG

Main - Bikkuri Donkey Burger (from Japanese upmarket fast food chain, Donkey Burger). I had a meal at one of their 'Fast Food' restaurants when i was over there in 2006 and they basically make the perfect burger. I had exactly this meal with a bowl of fries. Lovely. (It's not donkey).
135222552_donkeyb.jpg.e9c2ba27549fcc00cb18d1daac6cf643.jpg

Dessert - Lumberjack all day breakfast (from Good Enough to Eat, in New York). Bacon on pancakes with Strawberry Butter & Maple Syrup.
bacon.jpg.94f669737d21ec413e6a5391c4755ad1.jpg

I plan to have 3 heart attacks rather than coffee for afters. 

• Awards Moderator
23 minutes ago, Frankie Crisp said:

Soup.

Corned Beef Hash.

Vienetta.

Some bad Tory food in this so far. You’ve changed.

Better than that prole breadline gruel you've mustered there. What is this, #EATCLEAN?

• Paid Members

Starter

TGI's Jack Daniels flavoured chicken strips. Think the pic below is actually part of a main, which also wouldn't be a bad shout. Divine. 

tgi-fridays-sesame-jack-strips-copycat-recipe_1.jpg.32c3fe5f2d0f03f6b4a7b1bb77814932.jpg

Main

I might be massively cheating here and I don't have picture evidence, but Mother Facesitter put in an absolutely monumental shift for Christmas dinner. We had some extra family over this year so she was effectively running a small restaurant by herself as front of house, cook and waitress, and she put on an absolutely monumental spread, including not just the turkey, but also chicken (in case we ran low on turkey!), extra pork, pigs in blankets, roast potatoes...I mean there was just loads. It took her the whole day to get everything sorted and she didn't want any help. And it all tasted absolutely bloody wonderful. In terms of quality, quantity and enjoyment of surroundings I think it's up there with my all time favourites. And we still had some leftovers for the rest of the week. Absolute hero. 

Side

I'm a French Fries man myself. Unless it's a chippy dinner. 

Pudding

I was going to say Hagen Dasz Belgian Chocolate until I saw johnnyboy's pudding. That looks incredibly rude. Failing that, a trusty child-like three scoops of different flavours will do me. 

Drink

Um Cerveja, por favor. 

220px-Sagresbottle.jpg.a42deacf6e91517158a29ebafc28ea59.jpg

STARTER - 3 salt and pepper wings from my local chippy, right blend of crispness,  saltiness and heat

MAIN - the melt in the mouth rib eye steak from this wonderful dockside restaurant I visited when I went to Portugal in 2017, the actual service area was a boat deck and the view was incredible, pairing that with the house Bernaise sauce they did and the sweet potato fries from Byron Burgers as my SIDE, the best of those fries I've had by far

DESSERT - a big old slice of Costco's red velvet cake, one of the nicest RV cakes I've ever had

DRINKS - a cold bottle of Kopparberg Mixed Fruit cider 

• Paid Members

Starter.  The Blooming Onion from Outbacks Steak House at Orlando Airport.  A big fuck off onion dredged in seasoned flour, deep fried until crisp and served with a tasty dip in the middle.  Just everything you want in a savoury dish.  Could only manage a third as I had a steak coming, so I got it wrapped and finished it on the plane, stinking it out as we went.

Main.  22oz Porterhouse from the Longhorn Steakhouse, international Drive, Orlando.  I must have eaten at least a few dozen cows worth of steak in my time, but this was perfection.  Seasoned perfectly, and seared over wood to a perfect medium rare, crisp bark and soft as butter, juicy middle, I am moist jus typing this.

Side. My grans chips.  She took spuds, cut them with a crinkle cutter, threw them in a lard filled chip pan (it was the 70ks and 80’s), and then presented these wonderful golden sticks of salty, greasy love.  These chips would make even Onyx appreciate the spud even more.  One of the many, many reasons I miss her to this day.

Dessert.  Orlando again, the build your own sundae at Ben and Jerry’s at Universal Studios.  Base of Cookie Dough and PhishFood, toppings of brownie, Reece’s pieces, marshmallows and lashings of Hot Fudge Sauce.  Bliss.

Drink.  Root beer.  Not the arsey stuff you get in a glass bottle at BBQ joints in this country, I want the canned fizzy shite like A&W, freezing cold, served over ice chips.  And a straw.

• Awards Moderator
18 minutes ago, Thunderplex said:

These chips would make even Onyx appreciate the spud even more.

😍

My nan had a way with chips that defied the modern method. Hacked shards of potato in stove top oil (I think she used Crisp 'n' Dry) and kept them going until they were very dark brown. Divine with lashings of Sarson's, these crunchy things were so good after school. 

She also made bacon incredibly crisp, in a doorstep of bread sandwiched with Lurpak. Never been able to recreate it. 

• Paid Members
59 minutes ago, Onyx2 said:

😍

My nan had a way with chips that defied the modern method. Hacked shards of potato in stove top oil (I think she used Crisp 'n' Dry) and kept them going until they were very dark brown. Divine with lashings of Sarson's, these crunchy things were so good after school. 

She also made bacon incredibly crisp, in a doorstep of bread sandwiched with Lurpak. Never been able to recreate it. 

They just had that knack without any of the gadgets we rely on.  Amazing really.

Starter- I'm going with the whitebait from Istanbul Turkish restaurant in Sheffield. If you eat in you get plied with olives, salad and the nicest, warm bread I've ever tasted while your meal comes out so I'm counting that in with my starter. Loads of garlic mayo for dipping.

Main- Was initially going to say my own slow cooked pulled pork but when I'm out it's all about burgers. I've had some cracking ones all over the place but for sheer gluttony I'm having the Double Donut Burger from Hungry Horse. 2000 calories of deliciouness. There seems to be two camps on this- you're either disgusted by the idea of it or are desperate to try one. I managed to have one before they pulled it from the menu after The Daily Mail went nuts over it. Two glazed donuts instead of a traditional burger bun, grilled on the outside so the sugar caramelises, two burgers and bacon. Magnificently artery clogging.

26BB342500000578-2998330-10_-a-5_1426603078262.jpg

Side- Unsurprsingly my heart attack on a plate of a main comes with fries, onion rings and coleslaw so I'll have some of my home-made pulled pork aswell. Just a little bit though, I'm watching my weight.

Dessert- I'm not a big pudding guy but a lad at works mum makes an amazing rum and ginger cake that comes in at about three units of alcohol per slice if that taste is anything to go by.

Drink- Southern Comfort and Lemonade, ice, two slices of lime.

Archived