How did you find out about Santa?

tiger_rick

• Paid Members

So, some moron put this on the front page of our local rag today. Ironically above an advert to go and see Santa.

image.thumb.png.95948e86169e74e764c555b6b156401a.png

How did you find out?

When I was about 8 or 9, my estranged Dad booted our front door in in the middle of the night on Xmas Eve and had a brawl all over the house with my Mam's new boyfriend. I spent Xmas morning cleaning up glass and Xmas trees and hammering boards over the front door panes.

Wasn't all bad, I got World Cup Cricket that year!

image.png.32d643dec149f67ecfe7013482af2c03.png

• Paid Members

I can't remember ever thinking it was real, though I probably did.  My parents definitely didn't bother to keep the fiction up at all that I remember, particularly my Dad who would wander loudly into my bedroom to put my stocking by my bed. Christmas wasn't any less ace because of that though. 

I was about 9 or 10, so we'd moved to the area quite recently and the subject came up with a friend. The kayfabe mask had been slipping for a while, but the whole business was completely exposed to me when he said he'd stayed up all night on the 3 previous christmas eves and santa never arrived. He had about 8 siblings so presumably they had a shift thing going on rather than him lone wolfing it. 

• Paid Members

I was about 7. We went away for a weekend to somewhere in Wales in the summer that year and my Dad drove us up. Not a massive journey in the grand scheme but as a 7 year old kid it seemed like that drive took fucking forever. So that Christmas came and I got to thinking about it. I said to my older sister (if I was 7 she’d have been 11 at the time) something like ‘you know how it took us ages to get to Wales before? How does Santa get all round the world in one night?’ Instead of keeping the dream alive, without missing a beat she hit me with ‘Because Santa’s not real you little div. God sake are you thick or something?’ I replied with a feeble ‘But...the mince pies we leave on Christmas Eve...’ She just callously cut me off with ‘Durrr, it’s Dad. Obviously.’ Bitch. We’re really close and get on really well now but still...bitch. Christmas was never quite the same after that. 

• Paid Members

Likewise with finding out wrestling was fake, I really can put my finger on when I realised it was all a fugazi. I remember for a long time sort of knowing that he wasn't real and playing along with it because I had a younger sister, so maybe 7 years old?

It might've been when I was watching BBC news in around 1992, and the reporter asked Mean Gene whether Santa was real. And Mean Gene replied with 'Well you know England are playing Denmark? I know who's going to win'. That's when I knew for sure he was fake. Actually, that might've been wrestling...

My daughter is 9 and astonishingly, she still believes. She normally doesn't miss a trick. She's guessed half of her bloody Xmas presents by the shape of the box, but still buys into some fat bearded guy coming through a chimney which we don't have. Ah, such innocence.

• Paid Members

One of our teachers at junior school year 3 or 4. She was a complete twat of a person, a bit of a bully in many respects. She told us all our parents were lying to us (some of us probably knew in fairness), but the way she did it was awful.

A lads mum came in and went fucking crackers with her about it, to which the teacher stood there and denied saying anything.

• Paid Members
6 minutes ago, PunkStep said:

I remember for a long time sort of knowing that he wasn't real and playing along with it because I had a younger sister, so maybe 7 years old?

Well you’re a better sibling than my sister then! This thread has really opened up an old wound for me. 

• Paid Members
5 minutes ago, wandshogun09 said:

Well you’re a better sibling than my sister then! This thread has really opened up an old wound for me. 

Nah, I used to dob her in for smoking all the time. I don't know why I decided to keep mum about Santa, it wasn't in-keeping with our relationship.

• Awards Moderator
41 minutes ago, Kaz Hayashi said:

One of our teachers at junior school year 3 or 4. She was a complete twat of a person, a bit of a bully in many respects. She told us all our parents were lying to us (some of us probably knew in fairness), but the way she did it was awful.

A lads mum came in and went fucking crackers with her about it, to which the teacher stood there and denied saying anything.

I'm sure a substitute teacher in America got fired for doing that last week!

Archived