How did you find out about Santa?

tiger_rick

This might get me some stick, but we’ve never mentioned Santa to our two children. 

Me and my ex have incredibly bad relationships with our parents (very similar circumstances growing up), and most of the issues come down to trust and being lied to, so we never ever want that to happen to our children.

Now, it’s not as if we’ve said that he doesn’t exist, just as both of us are atheist and the girls go to a CofE school, and when Jesus and God or whatever is mentioned we don’t say “lolz, he doesn’t exist” as that’s a bit mean to a 5 and 9 year old. 

So Santa has never been part of their Christmas. God, the grief we got from family. We even had my stepmum tell us we were robbing our kids of the magic of Christmas. Yeah course we were, what with them having a happy, loving home and a wonderful festive period every crimbo.

Its not as if I would ever tell anyone how to raise their children and they’ve been told not to tell other children he doesn’t or does exist, it’s just we decided to have it this way. Same with the tooth fairy. And this maybe hypocritical as there’s no way you can go through life without lying to them, but it’s a conscious decision we made very early on. 

To be honest, he’s everywhere and they’ve never once questioned it. Might seem strange to some but there we are.

16 minutes ago, PunkStep said:

Seriously though, not gonna begrudge you and your ex over that decision at all. I am surprised that they haven't picked it the Santa thing from friends, school etc though. Do they think he's just a mascot?

Oh they know that some people think he delivers presents, and as I said they know better than to say anything about him not being real or whatnot. I think they see him in the same way they see, Superman for instance. That he’s just a fictional character.

9 hours ago, PunkStep said:

My daughter is 9 and astonishingly, she still believes. She normally doesn't miss a trick. She's guessed half of her bloody Xmas presents by the shape of the box, but still buys into some fat bearded guy coming through a chimney which we don't have. Ah, such innocence.

It was this for me, I think. Such a big part of the ruse is the idea that Father Christmas comes down the chimney overnight, and our house never had one of those when I was growing up. I can't recall a particular moment of realisation, but my Mum insists she can remember the look on my face when I figured it out. Fairly sure I must've been younger than 9 at the time. 

• Paid Members

I must’ve been 8 or 9. I was opening a present and looked at the label first to see who it was from. This one said from Father Christmas but the handwriting was exactly the same as my mums. So I asked her there and then why that was. She stumbled over her words to try and lie to me but it was already too late. I knew. And felt indifferent. I think I found out about a year later that wrestling was fake. After being told repeatedly by my parents that it was fake, it took Triple H hitting someone in the head with a sledgehammer and not murdering them that made me realise. 

My 10 year old niece found out last year when a kid from school told her. She confronted my sister and when told it was true, she was heartbroken. She did try and blackmail my sister into getting more presents or she’d tell her younger sister about “the lie”. But it ended up not happening and the youngest still believes.

I don't remember ever believing, probably did but can't be sure. I think when I was younger I left carrots for reindeer. Part of it I think was having brothers who were 5 and 6 years older. The chimney thing was something I also thought. 

At work a woman said sadly I believed til 9, and I said "what you wished you worked out earlier" and her and my boss said that was early and kids don't find out til at least 11. I wanted to say kids should really twig before 11 but I couldn't be bothered to argue with them. I said that I remember none of me or my mates believed in it by 9. Fucking hell they started implying my parents were shit. Thank fuck I left that place. 

• Moderators
21 hours ago, gmoney said:

I can't remember ever thinking it was real, though I probably did.  My parents definitely didn't bother to keep the fiction up at all that I remember, particularly my Dad who would wander loudly into my bedroom to put my stocking by my bed. Christmas wasn't any less ace because of that though. 

Same for me, this. I can't remember ever thinking he was real but I assume I did. But I think my older siblings pretended for my benefit, so even when I knew I decided to pretend I didn't, and not let on that I knew just in case my folks didn't buy as many presents* if they I knew he wasn't real. Everyone got the 'Santa' presents so really my deceit was beneficial to everyone except my parents who were spending the money.

* as we had presents from them and from 'Santa', I thought the latter would just not get bought.

Archived