In defence of Gareth Hale, and to a lesser extent - Pace

PowerButchi

• Paid Members

They went on for a good 10 years, so pretty much ran out of ideas after a few series. But the first 2 series were fucking good. Much funnier than a lot of comics who give them shit. A lot of their ideas were original, too. Harry Enfield copied that dubbed movies sketch, and was lauded for it, but Hale and Pace's version is much funnier. They were class. Good physical comics, when they needed to be. Hilarious song parodies. I'll happily add a story to the physically altercations thread if anyone disagrees.

• Paid Members

My mate and I in school used to love the Tarantino parody they did."Pub Luncheon" but I can only find it in Czech on Youtube for some reason.

13 hours ago, IANdrewDiceClay said:

They went on for a good 10 years, so pretty much ran out of ideas after a few series. But the first 2 series were fucking good. Much funnier than a lot of comics who give them shit. A lot of their ideas were original, too. Harry Enfield copied that dubbed movies sketch, and was lauded for it, but Hale and Pace's version is much funnier. They were class. Good physical comics, when they needed to be. Hilarious song parodies. I'll happily add a story to the physically altercations thread if anyone disagrees.

Didn't they call Enfield out on it? I could have sworn that after they did, Enfield had one of his characters, an angry dad type, sat there watching TV.  The TV was full of fart noises, "Tits" "Willy" etc, basically an Astro screenplay, and the dad laughed and said "This Hale and Pace are very good".

Or did I imagine the whole thing?

• Paid Members

Agree with the above.  Were must see when they started, the microwaved kitten was the talk of school the day after, but eventually struggled hitting the same controversy and it started to feel very false, so they went mainstream which killed them off completely.

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, Keith Houchen said:

Didn't they call Enfield out on it? I could have sworn that after they did, Enfield had one of his characters, an angry dad type, sat there watching TV.  The TV was full of fart noises, "Tits" "Willy" etc, basically an Astro screenplay, and the dad laughed and said "This Hale and Pace are very good".

Or did I imagine the whole thing?

It's the slobs watching it, as you describe, then they switch over to Newman and Baddiel and the soundbites are "penis" and "mammaries". 

Archived