Dave Meltzer

Brewster McCloud

• Paid Members
8 hours ago, tiger_rick said:

The same way any journalist does.

But look whos telling him stuff. They are not doing it to help out his new letter and or podcast. Hes being fed info by some of the best bullshitters on the planet. He cant investigate the story because no one will talk to him.

Edited by quote the raven

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, quote the raven said:

But look whos telling him stuff. They are not doing it to help out his new letter and or podcast.

How is that different from anyone leaking stuff to a newspaper? People don't tell the Guardian stories because they want to get their print run up. 

• Paid Members
30 minutes ago, gmoney said:

How is that different from anyone leaking stuff to a newspaper? People don't tell the Guardian stories because they want to get their print run up. 

Newspapers can’t just print everything they are told. He has zero way to investigate anything he’s told he just prints it. Newspapers  get sued or have to print retractions when they fuck up. He just brushes it off. He has never ever been in any booking meeting. He does not get to do a press conference with Vince once a week. He gets 3rd hand info from people out to push and a narrative and then reports it. 

• Paid Members
On 12/8/2018 at 7:50 AM, Brewster McCloud said:

I don't like it when people like Prichard and Bischoff use the "you weren't there!" argument, as the people that were there are bunch of lying self-serving carnies who wouldn't recognise a true statement if it power bombed them through a Spanish announce table.

Yet the people feeding him his news are the very same self serving carnies...

• Paid Members

I should preface this by saying that I don't think he's infallible, or some amazing beacon of journalism. That said, how far do you think you would get by just printing anything anyone told you? Do you think you would have Meltzer's accuracy rate (and I'd say over however many years, he's been very accurate) if you practised journalism like that? Do you think good journalism is printing what you told at a press conference?  

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, quote the raven said:

But look whos telling him stuff. They are not doing it to help out his new letter and or podcast. Hes being fed info by some of the best bullshitters on the planet. He cant investigate the story because no one will talk to him.

What are you talking about? How do you think he'd have been as successful as he has been for so long if "no one will talk to him"? Just admit you don't like him instead of coming up with half-baked reasons as to why you don't think he's any good.

Bischoff and Meltzer got on pretty well it seems up until only a few years ago. Don't know what happened, but Eric seems to only remember Dave was wrong about stuff, despite having no 'memory' about other stuff. Same with Prichard.

Vince Russo tells so many lies I doubt he remembers the truth.

54 minutes ago, quote the raven said:

Yet the people feeding him his news are the very same self serving carnies...

Including Eric himself, who used to talk to Dave on a regular basis. 

The anti-Meltzer kick is funny in how desperate it is. Starts as a shock jock deal on the Prichard show (which didn't need it to be interesting since the show was largely very good anyway), then Russo tries to join in but nobody cares (not sure why there's even a question about Russo's role in TNA getting dropped from Spike, the timing of it is pretty clear), and then Eric dogpiles on like the sad old hound he is. I'm more confused by the fans you see who seem so gullible to lap it up. Yeah! FDM!!!!! That...GUY!!! Who writes things!!!! Huh? I'm not clear what the underlying reason for that is, perhaps you can let me know.

I'm all for holding journalists accountable for mistakes, but if he was a guy who just spit out bollocks he was fed and that was it, then he'd be every cut-and-paste website headline from 2001 revealing that Goldberg was spotted backstage at Raw *CLICK HERE*.

Is there a degree of having to sort through bullshit and avoid being worked? Of course, but if wasn't good at it, why is he Dave Meltzer and nobody else is? I hate to say it this way, but when the day comes that the Observer is no more, I dread to think what the state of wrestling coverage and news will be.

• Paid Members
54 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said:

What are you talking about? How do you think he'd have been as successful as he has been for so long if "no one will talk to him"? Just admit you don't like him instead of coming up with half-baked reasons as to why you don't think he's any good.

I don’t care about him one way or another. I just don’t understand how he’s become the worlds authority on wrestling having never worked in any major federation. Nor has he had the inside access to the people in charge. 

He hears something about wwe. You think he picks up a phone and calls Vince? Of course not vince wouldn’t give him the time of day 

The people that matter won’t talk to him. 

But you keep putting words In my mouth 

• Paid Members
2 minutes ago, quote the raven said:

I just don’t understand how he’s become the worlds authority on wrestling having never worked in any major federation.

Like those people who make a great living reporting on football when they've never played the game. Fuckers.

• Paid Members

Aside from Vince, who didn't Meltzer have access to? They weren't all giving him the stories but he could talk to almost anyone or talk to someone who could. Face it, he built an incredible network of contacts and he had access to shows most of us will never see. He hasn't produced a crammed newsletter every week for decades by luck.