Finding Their Sound: Early Forays in the Music Business

gmoney

• Paid Members

I'm facinated by bands or artists who started somewhere and ended up in a completely different area. I know there is the quite famous example of Pantera starting as a glam band (and trying to hide that fact later), and below I present the example of Ministry. Got any others?

Ministry  1983 - Sound like the Thompson Twins, no discernible guitars, sax solos. Lead singer Al Jourgensen looks like he might get cast in 90210

0a4959d6ebf21df5c31f513e46551b49.jpg

Ministry 2018 - Discovered a lot of amphetamines, followed Skinny Puppy down an industrial rabbit hole and emerged with speed and thrash metal influences. Lead singer Al Jourgensen looks a fucking state. Would cross road to avoid. desktop.jpg?t=1517348543

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Rivers Cuomo is an odd fish. I love the Blue album and Pinkerton, but after that, his strangeness just became clearer. It was like he always wanted to be Kiss, but couldn't quite do it. He's in his late 40s now, still singing about teenage stuff for the kids. God bless him.

A good shout would be Status Quo. Pictures of Matchstick men is very different to the blues boogie sound they got comfortable with later. 

• Paid Members

It's probably not anywhere near as obvious in a visual sense, but Soulwax would fall into this category. Leave The Story Untold was a middling indie album, and I know they were doing 2ManyDJs and stuff on the side, but your actual Soulwax has morphed over the years into a pseudo Krautrock duo. Not as full-on Krautrock as some of the stuff they stick out, write or produce for Deewee records, but you can see where they want to go if they had the chance.

• Paid Members
Just now, Egg Shen said:

great idea for a thread! can we include some complete de-tours mid-career too? they always fascinate me.

Like Metallica's "Country" period with Load &  Reload?

When I were a lad, Anathema were this new Doom Metal band.  A few years ago, a mate posted a Mogwai-esque post rock song by a band with the same name.  I joked about how they were nothing like the Doom band from years ago and how it could get awkward if you went to a gig from one expecting the other.  Yep, they were the same band and I got back into my box.

Archived