Finding Their Sound: Early Forays in the Music Business

gmoney

14 minutes ago, Kaz Hayashi said:

Daft Punk used to by Star Dust, who had a hit with ‘The music sounds better with you’.

I appreciate it’s not a caterpillar in to a butterfly scenario like most of your submissions. Still though.

It was a Daft Punk side project, not a previous band. 

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
15 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

It was a Daft Punk side project, not a previous band. 

Shit yeah of course it was. Apart from adding another member, what was the point out of curiosity? It’s not exactly a million miles away from the Daft Punk sound, so I assume there’s more to it?

8 minutes ago, Kaz Hayashi said:

Shit yeah of course it was. Apart from adding another member, what was the point out of curiosity? It’s not exactly a million miles away from the Daft Punk sound, so I assume there’s more to it?

It was only one of Daft Punk and two other guys.

• Paid Members

It was Thomas Bangalter (who many believe is the more talented of the two) from Daft Punk and Alan Braxe, who is a fantastic producer in his own right (see Intro and Lumberjack). I think there was a third person involved, DJ Falcon perhaps?

Edit- Falcon wasn't involved, he was one half of Together along with Bangalter. Another cracking track.

• Paid Members

I guess Bowie would be the ultimate example in this thread, no? Whilst it was more a case of him deliberately changing it up frequently rather than just finding his sound, the sheer scale of the ch-ch-changes his music underwent was pretty damn drastic. Probably the most drastic was 1. Outside - Bowie doing drum n' bass is still uncanny to listen to, awesome as it is.

Most of the good ones are already taken, but meet Underworld Mk. 1. An altogether limp, uninspired synthpop-gone-stale effort. 

Fast forward a few years, a couple of doves and a DJ Darren Emerson later and you've got the best progressive house album of the nineties in Dubnobasswithmyheadman.

A film about skag later, and they'd have a comfortable hit with a tune about lager and megamegawhitethings. 

Archived