Jump to content

Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, David said:

Double post to address the edit, apologies.

The method of us actually leaving should be discussed and debated, but the actual result of the referendum shouldn't. 

So the fact that 'Vote Leave' literally broke electoral law should be ignored? Really?

Edit - Like Chest said

Edited by Dead Mike

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Dead Mike said:

So the fact that 'Vote Leave' literally broke electoral law should be ignored? Really?

As C-Bomb mentioned, Tony Blair broke every fucking law in the book during his stint as PM and he's still free to lecture us all on how we should think. Shit happens, nothing is perfect, but the vote happened, the result was determined.

Honestly, if we go down the route of a redo it won't end well. The majority who voted to leave last time aren't just gonna shrug their shoulders and say "ah well, that's how it goes, eh?"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, David said:

As C-Bomb mentioned, Tony Blair broke every fucking law in the book during his stint as PM and he's still free to lecture us all on how we should think. Shit happens, nothing is perfect, but the vote happened, the result was determined.

Forget it, Jake, it's wadda. Waddaboudism.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, David said:

As C-Bomb mentioned, Tony Blair broke every fucking law in the book during his stint as PM and he's still free to lecture us all on how we should think. Shit happens, nothing is perfect, but the vote happened, the result was determined.

Honestly, if we go down the route of a redo it won't end well. The majority who voted to leave last time aren't just gonna shrug their shoulders and say "ah well, that's how it goes, eh?"

Tony Blair is the benchmark? I look forward to being able to use the defence of 'he broke the law too' in court.

TBH I couldn't give a fuck about the majority who voted to leave, they got conned by a bunch of careerist MP's & their tabloid friends. They voted for an undeliverable fantasy & this is the moment where reality smacks them in the face.

The fact that they'll likely get angry with the people who warned them about this in the first place, rather than the actual liars will just prove the claims that lots of them are just thick as fuck & want to be angry at someone, Whether that's the EU, brown people, Muslims, lefties, feminists or 'the elite'.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Dead Mike said:

TBH I couldn't give a fuck about the majority who voted to leave, they got conned by a bunch of careerist MP's & their tabloid friends. They voted for an undeliverable fantasy & this is the moment where reality smacks them in the face.

The fact that they'll likely get angry with the people who warned them about this in the first place, rather than the actual liars will just prove the claims that lots of them are just thick as fuck & want to be angry at someone, Whether that's the EU, brown people, Muslims, lefties, feminists or 'the elite'.

Well, that's your opinion and you're obviously entitled to it. Let's just hope that those who have the power to actually force through another referendum aren't quite so dismissive as I don't think it will end well.

I'm confident that we won't see another vote, although the watered-down deal that we get will likely see the likes of UKIP and Robinson rubbing their hands with glee regardless. Another vote that went the other way would literally be the far-rights dream result in all of this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, David said:

As C-Bomb mentioned, Tony Blair broke every fucking law in the book during his stint as PM and he's still free to lecture us all on how we should think.

Hold on a sec, Dave - I didn't mention Blair to defend the referendum; it was the exact opposite, and I'm pretty sure you know that. It's because of him that I'm even more adamant now in my belief that we shouldn't allow this to happen again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, David said:

Well, that's your opinion and you're obviously entitled to it. Let's just hope that those who have the power to actually force through another referendum aren't quite so dismissive as I don't think it will end well.

I'm confident that we won't see another vote, although the watered-down deal that we get will likely see the likes of UKIP and Robinson rubbing their hands with glee regardless. Another vote that went the other way would literally be the far-rights dream result in all of this.

The far right will always find something to be outraged about. You know what's more dangerous than telling them to fuck off? Pandering to them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Saying that the result of Brexit is untouchable because it'll gin up the far right smacks of people opining that the concerns of the midwesterners who were a massive part of putting Trump in the White House need to be front-and-center going forward because of some sort of righteous fury. Although that partially means a much-needed look at how the industrial heartland of the US can be put on a better footing going forward, it often also means "we need to bow down to a bunch of ne'er do wells who want to hearken back to a past that they only half-remember, at best. It's the worst kind of saudade, the kind that makes people want to smash up the machine just because it isn't doing what they like, and darkly pointing towards things "not ending well" and it boosting the likes of Tommy Robinson seems like a thin gauze covering the idea that bad policy ideas should be ground on with regardless, because it'll anger a segment of the population. Certainly, it was a slim majority win, but under shady circumstances where the system seems to have been gamed in several ways — so many parallels all over global politics right now. 

Short version — what Dead Mike said while I was typing.

Edited by Sergio Mendacious
Dead Mike is better than me

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Carbomb said:

Hold on a sec, Dave - I didn't mention Blair to defend the referendum; it was the exact opposite, and I'm pretty sure you know that. It's because of him that I'm even more adamant now in my belief that we shouldn't allow this to happen again.

Well, guess what? It will happen again. And again. And again. 

4 minutes ago, Dead Mike said:

The far right will always find something to be outraged about. You know what's more dangerous than telling them to fuck off? Pandering to them.

Yeah, but the far-right are primarily a fringe movement. It just depends on how keen we are to help swell those numbers up to the point where they become more of a concern than they already are.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, David said:

Well, guess what? It will happen again. And again. And again. 

Yeah, let's all give up now. Nothing ever changes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Chest Rockwell said:

How do you know what the wishes of those who voted to leave are?

As far as I know one of the key issues here is that no-one knows or has bothered to find out, and in a lot of cases even the people who voted to leave don't know.

 

Norway deal means 

accepting EU rules on goods, services, people and capital, as well as competition and state aid.

if you voted leave then that would be a major sticking point? 

 

Edited by quote the raven

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Carbomb said:

Yeah, let's all give up now. Nothing ever changes.

No one said anything about giving up, but I don't see it changing. There's as much chance of me becoming EU President as there is of Tony Blair seeing the inside of a jail cell.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, David said:

No one said anything about giving up, but I don't see it changing. There's as much chance of me becoming EU President as there is of Tony Blair seeing the inside of a jail cell.

Blair isn’t going to jail... he should but he won’t. The sheer amount of people implicated means nothing will ever come of it 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, quote the raven said:

 

Norway deal means 

accepting EU rules on goods, services, people and capital, as well as competition and state aid.

if you voted leave then that would be a major sticking point? 

 

That depends how big the "No one's talking about leaving the single market!" group of leavers are.  Although pointless when compared to being an EU member, if we're going to leave it would probably be able to command the lion's share (sorry PETA) of support as unless tons of remainers suddenly abstained it would only need a fraction of leave support to make it the most supported overall option.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...