UFC 232: Jones vs Gustafsson 2

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?   

17 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

The run that Rousey had was really fun. For me, BT Sports was my introduction to UFC and I'd never seen anything like it. Even Mrs Panhead came onboard for Rousey. I genuinely think if it wasn't for her then we wouldn't both love MMA as much as we do now. We even went to UFC 204 together and it all started from Rousey/Tate II. I suppose it's a similar thing to 1990/91 Hogan when my Dad first got Sky.

I'd love to see Nunes fight Holly Holm. I don't know if she's really deserving of a shot at either title really, but I think her counter-striking and patience could frustrate Nunes.

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

That magazine cover was comical, even at the time really. She was always a grappler. Still, the crowing from some boxing fans after the Holm loss was silly. ‘Haha a look what happened when she fought a boxer’. Conveniently missing the point that Holm’s performance was as MMA as it gets, showing excellent defensive grappling and clinch work, and finishing the fight with a fucking kick. Yet it was a win for boxing somehow. 

But yeah, Ronda’s refusal to take constructive criticism and make changes in camp was mad. How do you work on your weaknesses if you won’t admit or acknowledge you have any? How a fighter rebounds from a loss always fascinates me and sadly Rousey bodged it in every single way. She completely buried her head in the sand. Even when, as you say, her own mum was highlighting the problems. I get being loyal but Edmond was fucking useless.

Although, the more I think about it I’m not convinced she’d have done much better if she’d gone to AKA or Jackson-Wink or ATT or whoever. She’d no doubt have got better coaching, she’d probably have improved her striking and overall MMA skills etc. But in the end, the variable none of us knew about was that she’s just not mentally cut out for MMA. We didn’t know that until she lost. It’s easy to be the badass when you’re winning and everyone’s telling you how great you are and 50 year old men are crying about how you’re a “once in a lifetime inspirational figure” on their podcast and stuff. But taking a comprehensive arse kicking and a loss like the Holm one is something very few on the planet are wired to deal with. Not even a knock on her. I know I couldn’t do it. But even if she’d sacked off Edmond, wherever she’d have trained they couldn’t have put that ingredient in her. Fuck, they even had to excuse her of media duties before the Nunes fight and I don’t think they showed the Holm headkick once in the build up. They had to walk on eggshells to not upset her. Compare that to Bisping doing the FOX analysis for say Gastelum or whoever’s fights and he’s seeing himself KO’d in Gastelum’s highlight reel over and over. I’m sure it’s not nice but he deals with it and does his job. 

Sooner or later, Ronda would have lost and unravelled. It might’ve taken a fight or two longer but that day was coming. You look at how she handled that loss to Holm then look at how Cyborg dealt with this Nunes loss on Saturday night and it’s night and day. You look at guys like Wanderlei Silva, Arturo Gatti and Michael Bisping and the losses they had over the years yet they kept bouncing back and wouldn’t fuck off or let it break them. It’s cliche but it’s that warrior mentality. Then there’s others like Rousey or Lesnar or Mike Tyson who crumble a bit when it gets tough. Even McGregor to an extent, amazing fighter, but there definitely seems to be a bit of that frontrunner mentality there. McGregor and maybe Lesnar (maybe even Ronda somewhere down the line) will be back at some point because there’s money to be made. But I’m not sure how much they really love the battle. 

Christ, I’ve waffled. 

3 minutes ago, wandshogun09 said:

Christ, I’ve waffled. 

With good reason.  Rousey was the perfect example of "If it isn't broke, don't fix it".  But no, Eddie convincing her she was an elite striker made me think of that South Park episode where Satan fights Jesus and Satan was the only person who bet on Jesus.  Bet Ed had Holm to win via KO, the prick.

2 hours ago, wandshogun09 said:

It went further than that. Before Cyborg was in the UFC and at the height of the UFC/Rousey love-in, Rogan was saying all sorts of vile shit on his podcast like ‘Cyborg would have to cut her dick off to make 135’. Schaub is all supportive of Cyborg now but I could swear he was laughing along with Rogan when he made comments like that. Cyborg’s boyfriend was on Schaub’s podcast a year or so ago and said to Schaub’s face ‘I know you and Joe Rogan are boys but tell him from me he’s a fucking idiot’ or something. Schaub didn’t know where to look.

Shit, I didn't know that. Rogan can be a total dick sometimes. I get that he's a comedian and some of the things he says are for shock value/comedic effect, but he really needs to wind his neck in quite often. I like the guy, but Christ almighty, for a reasonably intelligent chap he doesn't half come out with some moronic stuff. 

• Paid Members

This video gives a good summary of what I describe there. It’s all in here. The Rogan ‘dick’ comment, Dana’s ‘Wanderlei in a dress’ comment and the ridiculous impression of her walk, and Cyborg’s fella setting Schaub straight. It’s all there. 

Regarding Sonnen and Jones. They had this exchange in September - http://www.punditarena.com/mma/ccunningham/chael-sonnen-jon-jones/

Probably explains why they aren't on the best of terms. 

Oh, and I don't buy that Dana would have baulked at signing Cyborg. Dana will do business with his worst enemy if he thinks he can profit from them. Tito Ortiz was re-signed in mid-2009 under Dana's watch. To say that Tito and Dana had previously parted on bad terms would be an understatement.  Tito turned up to the weigh-in of his last UFC fight in May of 2008 wearing this:

Screen_Shot_2016-05-23_at_8.33.02_PM_cop

2 hours ago, wandshogun09 said:

Apparently Jon Jones had a pop at Bisping when the post-fight show went off the air. 

Here’s Bisping on about it on his podcast; 

I listened to that before and everything bisping says in that is completely correct. If he tests positive in his post fight piss test rhe fight should be declared a no contest but it won't happen as it seems the ufc are making loopols left right and centre for Jones 

11 hours ago, Kfogg1991 said:

If he tests positive in his post fight piss test rhe fight should be declared a no contest but it won't happen as it seems the ufc are making loopols left right and centre for Jones 

If he tests positive in any post-fight test the matter wouldn't be handled by the UFC, it would be handled by USADA, as it always is.

It absolutely astounds me the number of seemingly intelligent people who believe that all of this is down to the UFC "making loopholes" and acting shady on Jones behalf.

• Paid Members

Dunno if anyone mentioned it but Chad Mendes retired post-fight. Still only young but as a Urijah Faber protege i'd imagine Mendes has his business sorted out away from the cage so wont struggle financially. Hell of a career though, just always fell short at the final hurdle. I felt he basically knock a knee against Volkanovski because he wasn't enjoying the pressure and the kind of fight it was turning into, probably a good time to step away. 

As for Volkanovski, what a beast. I wouldn't be surprised if he goes on to win the title, nasty little bastard who seemed to thrive on getting hit and coming back harder. It was the first time we'd seen him challenged in the UFC and he impressed the hell out of me. 

Having heard a couple of interviews with Mendes during his enforced hiatus from the sport, it sounds as though he's found that he actually enjoys life more when he's not fighting. Fair play to the guy, it's always nice to see someone get out young and healthy.

Archived