The White Dog Turds Thread

BomberPat

In addition to the various men and vans that have been mentioned so far, in Glasgow we had a guy known as either the candy apple man or welks and mussels man. He sold both but people only called him one or the other.

No van for this chap he just walked around with huge bags shouting 'weeeelllllkkkkssss, mussellls, caaaaaaaaaaaannnnnnnddddyyy appppppuuuuuulllllssss' at the top of his voice.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

The men with the vans still exist everywhere Gustavo, it's just now they deliver stuff we've all purchased online. I would say that the man/van to house ratio is roughly the same as 30 years ago. Having your shopping delivered by Tesco is only a glorified version of the grocery van that used to come around. The only difference now is that Sylvia at number 1 isn't giving blowjobs in exchange for part of her weekly shopping, but only because Tesco won't give her club card points for them. 

• Paid Members
54 minutes ago, Gus Mears said:

Just doesn't recapture the magic of the man with his horse-drawn carriage selling three types of lemonade and some smoked kippers; Hovis music blaring out of a windup grammaphone.

You laugh but I spent most of last year living in Hull and there actually is a man that goes around on a horse-drawn carriage collecting scrap, I used to see him loads. Hull is a fascinating place, relatively small city but they’re proud as punch of their little insular ways.

KCOM is absolute (white) dog turd though, even having moved to Beverley I’m not relieved of their shitness. Suppose I could add good bandwidth to things I don’t see anymore. 

• Paid Members
16 hours ago, Lion_of_the_Midlands said:

Never had a specific cheese man Bombers, but we did have a mqn come around who used to sharpen the knives. 

No worries - there was never a cheese man, I just wanted to see if I could help wind up @PunkStep - his incredulous post about the LEMONADE MAN made me chuckle.

EDIT: Ooh, serious contribution: you don't see those huts that sell seafood any more. Used to be able to get pots of cockles & mussels (alive-alive-oh), and also crabsticks before they had to be renamed "ocean sticks".

Early 90's memories of being given a quid to give to the Pool's man, answering the door to the insurance man, popping up the shop with a handful of shrapnel for a 50p paper bag mixup (and an envelope with the paper money in). We still get a guy in a van "ANY OLD IRON...ANY OLD SCRAP IRON", he's pretty popular as he undercuts the councils appliance removal service.

On the subject of penny sweets, one of the greatest joys was holding a huge 50p and spending hours deciding how to spend it on penny sweets. 50 x 1p? 30 x 1p and 10 x 2p? Or go all out on the 5s and 10s? Or the joy of being told we were going into Woolies and I could get a quarter of Pick n Mix.

Drinking in Old Portsmouth, I'm still spoilt with Viviers fish market and the little hut by the Dockyard (They still exist here @Carbomb). Nothing quite like finishing an afternoon session in the Ship Anson and grabbing a pot of cockles drowned in vinegar and black pepper before chips at JR's before the train home.

Saying that, the ice cream man hasn't been round in a while (he came round through the snow in March so seasonality isn't a concern)

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, stumobir said:

You laugh but I spent most of last year living in Hull and there actually is a man that goes around on a horse-drawn carriage collecting scrap, I used to see him loads.

That's amazing! It's like a deliberate attempt to live up to the sort of t'up North stereotyping that people down here have. 

• Paid Members

We had a rapey insurance man. He creeped me out. Years later I found out he tried it on with my mum and the dog attacked him. My dog was as friendly as can be and hated him he never came back much after this. We also had a mobile library,pop man,pools man (my dad)

2 minutes ago, theironshake said:

We had a rapey insurance man. He creeped me out. Years later I found out he tried it on with my mum and the dog attacked him. My dog was as friendly as can be and hated him he never came back much after this. We also had a mobile library,pop man,pools man (my dad)

Rapey insurance men. Can't find one for love nor money these days. 

15 hours ago, MungoChutney said:

In addition to the various men and vans that have been mentioned so far, in Glasgow we had a guy known as either the candy apple man or welks and mussels man. He sold both but people only called him one or the other.

No van for this chap he just walked around with huge bags shouting 'weeeelllllkkkkssss, mussellls, caaaaaaaaaaaannnnnnnddddyyy appppppuuuuuulllllssss' at the top of his voice.

In my part of the outlier reaches of Glasgow groups of kids who were playing in the street when the aforementioned candy apple man was out doing his thing would constantly answer his screams of "caaaaaannnndddyyyy appppuuuullll" with "stick it up yer arsehole."

This was a proper sign that the autumn had arrived, and suddenly the allure of playing "jingles" in the street started to fade in favour of hanging around the closes of the new build 8-to-a-floor four storey blocks.

Activities at that point varied depending on who you were and who the crowd in that particular block were. The more dodgy kids would sniff glue from old crisp bags, while those of us who weren't complete degenerates would either continue playing jingles for money, or we'd play cards.

Every now and then one of the glue sniffers would go mental and try to slash someone with a Stanley blade. The things 13 year olds got up to then, eh? Those were the days.

Archived