The White Dog Turds Thread

BomberPat

• Paid Members

No idea where Bacon is living, more Jumpin' Jehovas around where I live than ever before. Even have them daily outside of places like Trowbridge station, which no one in their right mind would choose as a prime location to espouse God's word.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

We used to get Jovos bothering us on Sunday mornings up until about eight to ten years ago. Don't see them at all except at the local shopping centre with their stands for their copies of Watchtower. 

Mentioned it before on Paid* , but we used to come up with all sorts of ways to get rid of them. I had a rather effective one: when the doorbell rang, it woke me up, so was still too discombobulated to figure out it was them and let it ring, so threw on the bathrobe and ran to the door - had been sleeping in my underwear, so it made me look I was nude underneath. When they saw me answer the door, they asked "Oh, sorry - did we get you out of bed?" to which I replied "Yes, actually, I was having sex with my boyfriend", at which point they mumbled a quick apology and left pronto.

My sister's one was the best though. Muslim family, and she'd held on to her faith the longest out of us three siblings. When they asked her "Do you have some time to talk about Jesus?" she simply said: "Hold on a sec, my dad's the person to talk to", and then yelled up the stairs "DAAAAAAD! INFIDELS!"

*hey, if you wanted this premium content sooner, you should've stumped up

• Paid Members

Lots of JWs in Croydon. They're not very pushy or animated though, they tend to just stand by a selection of their leaflets, not talking to anyone. There's quite a few street preacher types in the pedestrianised area, from all sorts of religious backgrounds. It gets heated occasionally, but generally it's not so bad. Makes shopping a bit more colourful anyway. 

• Paid Members

I fondly remember when I was out flyering some arsehole town in Somerset for a Shitwres show about ten years ago.

One of the others wasn't the sharpest tool and merrily walked into a Jehova's Witness meeting that was just breaking up and started handing out flyers for 'September Slaughter II' to complete bemusement.

A taste of their own medicine.

I definitely lament the death of the local games store.  Back in the day they were a real hub of geeky activity.  If you wanted import games from Japan you had to go buy them for ridiculous prices from your local neckbeard, who'd try to sell you a Virtua Boy at the same time.  Proper bartering over second hand games, swopping two gameboy carts for an Atari Jaguar cart and regretting it for the next 6 months. 

Going even further back, the joy of perusing a shelf of Sinclair Spectrum tapes looking for a copy of Target Renegade is something that is burnt into my cortex.

• Paid Members
On 10/20/2018 at 1:03 PM, Gus Mears said:

That's amazing! It's like a deliberate attempt to live up to the sort of t'up North stereotyping that people down here have. 

In what way? I don't think it's an attempt to do anything of the sort, it's just reality. There is genuinely an area of Hull called Gypsyville. Loads of areas of the City are still covered by ancient rights for gypos that allow them to leave horses all over and park their caravans all over perfectly good football pitches. And some of them still pollute the roads with horse-drawn carriages full of scrap. That's just a reality.

The whole KCOM thing is a debacle. The white phone box thing is a nice little novelty but otherwise, it's a shit monopoly that no-one has any control over. The flotation did build our football stadium though so small mercies.

Otherwise, people just accept where they live and, hopefully, take some pride in it. Seems to be the same almost everywhere i've ever been. Except London, which everyone seems to moan doesn't really belong to them all the time.

• Paid Members
11 hours ago, Loki said:

Going even further back, the joy of perusing a shelf of Sinclair Spectrum tapes looking for a copy of Target Renegade is something that is burnt into my cortex.

A couple of years ago, I was driving along and the sign for the old games shop I used to buy my speccy games from had been unveiled by the removal of a modern sign. It was there for a couple of weeks but I didn't go take a picture which I really regret now. They put up a new sign for a new shop fitting (hairdressers) and it's disappeared back into the mists of time.

• Paid Members
10 minutes ago, tiger_rick said:

In what way? I don't think it's an attempt to do anything of the sort, it's just reality. There is genuinely an area of Hull called Gypsyville. Loads of areas of the City are still covered by ancient rights for gypos that allow them to leave horses all over and park there caravans all over perfectly good football pitches. And some of them still pollute the roads with horse-drawn carriages full of scrap. That's just a reality.

Because not being an expert in or ever having gone to Hull, I wasn't aware it was anything to do with Gypsies. 

• Paid Members
11 hours ago, Loki said:

I definitely lament the death of the local games store.  Back in the day they were a real hub of geeky activity.  If you wanted import games from Japan you had to go buy them for ridiculous prices from your local neckbeard, who'd try to sell you a Virtua Boy at the same time.  Proper bartering over second hand games, swopping two gameboy carts for an Atari Jaguar cart and regretting it for the next 6 months. 

To further pump up my adoptive home of Croydon, we have PlayNation, which is much as you describe, and sometimes even smells of BO.They sell Amiga games. Shit ones, mind, but it's nice to have a look.

• Paid Members
19 minutes ago, tiger_rick said:

Otherwise, people just accept where they live and, hopefully, take some pride in it. Seems to be the same almost everywhere i've ever been. Except London, which everyone seems to moan doesn't really belong to them all the time.

Well, here's one to break that trend. I'm London-born and raised, and I am proud of the place. It's the most cosmopolitan city in the world, and yes, it has its problems, but then where doesn't? It's over-priced, the housing market is obscene, it's over-packed, it's had far too much preference shown it by successive governments, and people can be unfriendly and selfish on a daily basis. Politically it's a bit iffy sometimes, evidenced by the fact that Londoners voted in that utterly corrupt, fucking abject wretch Johnson in as mayor twice.

BUT: it's home to countless museums, historical sites theatres, music venues, and all sorts of other attractions/distractions. It's got some of the world's best architecture, an incredibly vibrant cultural scene, practically every cuisine and culture from all over the world can be found here, and it has one of the best transport networks you'll ever see (admittedly, it's on a bit of a downslide at the moment, which usually results from a combination of over-crowding and the Tories getting up to their usual conniving again). It's actually a pretty great place to live - with certain caveats in place, of course.

Archived