VeganMania

UK Kat Von D

• Paid Members

The mince was edible. Didn't taste too bad but nothing like mince and had no bite to it at all. Leaves a funny taste in the mouth after eating.

We'd have it again but it needs severe masking with other flavours, can't stand up on it's own.

3 hours ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

That’s the first time I’m calling bull shit. You telling me you’re gonna stop tattooing if your kid was disappointed in your line of work

How the fuck is tattooing comparable to killing animals? But yeah, if I had a 17 year old daughter who hated me for it I’d find another job. 

Does everyone on this forum just keep the first job they got after coming out of school or something? 

• Paid Members

I had those Quorn burgers the other day. My misses liked them but I thought they were horrible. I can't even describe how they tasted, but it was just wrong. No way I'm getting them again.

Have some mince and the fillets in the freezer still. Not sure I'm brave enough though. 

Edited by Silky Kisser

I had the Linda McCartney mozzarella burgers the other day, and thought they were shit, even with onions and lettuce and the like. Really disappointing.

The No Bull stuff is great on the other hand. The chilli and rice, and the paella I've both tried and really enjoyed. Went down to Asda tonight and bought a fuck load of veg, as well as some more quorn, and a couple of mint and asparagus burgers which sound lovely. I've been giving vegetarianism a go for a couple of weeks now, and although I'm not particularly noting any health benefits of yet, I'm really enjoying the alternatives and I'm finding it's leading me to do a lot more cooking, which was something I fancied doing at uni.

32 minutes ago, Silky Kisser said:

Have some mince and the fillets in the freezer still. Not sure I'm brave enough though. 

If you have them on their own, they're like cardboard, but it's all about what you cook them with.  That can't be emphasised enough.

21 minutes ago, AdamTH17 said:

I had the Linda McCartney mozzarella burgers the other day, and thought they were shit, even with onions and lettuce and the like. Really disappointing.

Agreed. Because I like the sausages I assumed all of their food would be of a similar quality.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Ralphy said:

i am new to doing the mince too, i tend to burn mine slightly, not got the hang of it yet, also, mine sticks like mad to the bottom of the pan, how do i prevent this? i use oil and sauce yet it still sticks, hard to clean off 

It's likely an issue of heat control. Try cooking at a lower temperature. Are you heating the pan and oil before adding the mince and sauce?

13 hours ago, Ralphy said:

i am new to doing the mince too, i tend to burn mine slightly, not got the hang of it yet, also, mine sticks like mad to the bottom of the pan, how do i prevent this? i use oil and sauce yet it still sticks, hard to clean off 

I know I run the risk of being banned for posting this, but it's worth it to save poor Ralphy's pans. 

We had the same problem, and found that when cooking the mince in the sauce, add a small amount of water throughout the cooking period. Usually the mince dries up really quickly and that's what causes the sticking and burning. As a guide I'd add half a cup of water whenever I noticed the mince drying up, usually adding water on three or four separate occasions throughout the cooking period.

EDIT: This can obviously dilute the sauce a bit, so add a tad more than you would normally, preferably at the end just as you're about to serve up. 

Edited by David

• Paid Members
12 minutes ago, David said:

I know I run the risk of being banned for posting this, but it's worth it to save poor Ralphy's pans. 

We had the same problem, and found that when cooking the mince in the sauce, add a small amount of water throughout the cooking period. Usually the mince dries up really quickly and that's what causes the sticking and burning. As a guide I'd add half a cup of water whenever I noticed the mince drying up, usually adding water on three or four separate occasions throughout the cooking period.

I think you are cooking it too high, I have never experienced this issue

• Paid Members

There is a vegan at work who constantly berates meat eaters for the animal cruelty it causes. I don't want to interact with her because she's scary but I do have some questions that I'm brave enough to ask in here!

Would vegans eat meat if they knew no animal cruelty took place? For example would they rear and eat their own pigs if they knew exactly how they were treated and ultimately killed?

Also what do vegans think of zoos?

12 minutes ago, waters44 said:

Would vegans eat meat if they knew no animal cruelty took place? For example would they rear and eat their own pigs if they knew exactly how they were treated and ultimately killed?

Do you think they might say that killing the animal is cruel is some way? Blimey.

If you don't grasp that basic principle, it's probably best you don't talk to her.

• Paid Members

I can grasp that principle, thanks. No need to shoot me down, I have a genuine interest in what I believe to be a noble existence and hoped this would be the place to come to find out more. I wondered if there were different attitudes involved, that was all, I’ve not read the vegan rule book. 

If anything involves killing an animal to eat it, then no, a vegan wouldn't eat it.  That's kind of the whole point.  I don't mean this flippantly, but try google for answers.  There is more nuance there from a world of answers than you'd get in here.

You are absolutely right about the finer points though, what may be vegan to one won't be to another (Vegan wine and beer for example, http://www.barnivore.com is a good source), but meat is a no-no from the off.