KISS are retiring again.

IANdrewDiceClay

• Paid Members

Simmons announced their final tour. Which will be a world tour. I.e. they'll add more and more dates for it to last for years, in a con to increase ticket sales so you think it'll be the last time you see them (like they did in from 1999/2003.)

They're a shameless bunch. Made some great music in the 70s, though. Putting out nothing but shite for the last 25 years and the Disney in platform shoes philosophy of the band takes away from how good they were at their best.

• Paid Members

I am quite tempted as well. I'm not sure why, as I'm not normally one for going to see well past it legend acts (I've been burned by Sex Pistols) but I feel like they would have enough smoke and mirrors to pull of an entertaining live show.

My girlfriend already got us Download tickets for next year so I sincerely hope they're not the oldies day headliner. I have fuck all interest in seeing them. 

That being said I had no interest in Ozzy/GnR/Avenged Sevenfold either this year, and we had a ball regardless. The undercard being full of stupid shit like Disturbed is what'll do it for me. And bopping about with metal heads. They're the best festival people. 

38 minutes ago, ColinBollocks said:

Since Prince died, I've been on a "see them before they die" tour, so I'll probably grab a ticket. Are KISS any good these days? Or is it all pyro and half-arsed version of their hits - a bit Ozzy.

I wouldn’t say half-arsed versions, but Paul Stanley certainly can’t hit the high notes anymore, so Gene and Tommy cover a lot on backing vocals. But considering their age (Gene is 69, Paul is 66) to do what they do is still very impressive and they certainly still give you a hell of a show, and i’ll probably go for that reason. I saw them in 2015 when they headlined Download and had a great time, And was due to see them last year when they toured here but the Manchester Arena bomb happened a week before and it was (understandably) cancelled.

As for being a shameless bunch, it’s always been that way. Gene has never turned the chance to slap the KISS logo on something if he can make something from it, and it’s the fans fault for buying it for so long. It’s why they have shit like Swarovski Coffee Tumblers for $430 and Waffle Makers If Gene Simmons’ face and all sorts of other tat

• Paid Members
31 minutes ago, WyattSheepMask said:

As for being a shameless bunch, it’s always been that way. Gene has never turned the chance to slap the KISS logo on something if he can make something from it, and it’s the fans fault for buying it for so long. It’s why they have shit like Swarovski Coffee Tumblers for $430 and Waffle Makers If Gene Simmons’ face and all sorts of other tat

There's a book called KISS and Sell written by a member of their management which is fascinating. KISS were pretty much on their arse in the 80s. Its amazing they held out so long in putting the makeup back on.

KISS trying to rebrand themselves as a grunge act, well into their 40s is a very underrated period in rock history. Nobody ever seems to mention just how tragic is all was. Putting the makeup back on in 96 was a masterstroke. Those tours did monster business.

5507E0FF-producer-toby-wright-talks-kiss-controversial-carnival-of-souls-album-without-bruce-kulick-this-album-wouldnt-exist-image.png.d00108d3891d610540e984d3bdeada54.png

I don’t know what was more tragic, KISS trying to re-invent themselves as Grunge or Bon Jovi and his Flannel-shirt period (mid 90s time) were he tried to pretend he’d been building up to that moment his entire career and it was what he’d always wanted to do from the start

As for that book, is it KISS and Sell: The Making of a Supergroup by CK Lendt? Might have to hunt down a copy

1 hour ago, IANdrewDiceClay said:

Simmons announced their final tour. Which will be a world tour. I.e. they'll add more and more dates for it to last for years, in a con to increase ticket sales so you think it'll be the last time you see them (like they did in from 1999/2003.)

They're a shameless bunch. Made some great music in the 70s, though. Putting out nothing but shite for the last 25 years and the Disney in platform shoes philosophy of the band takes away from how good they were at their best.

A guy I know said he went to a Rolling Stones tour in the late 70's marketed as their final tour, not as if they aren't the only ones doing it.

• Paid Members
42 minutes ago, IANdrewDiceClay said:

KISS trying to rebrand themselves as a grunge act, well into their 40s is a very underrated period in rock history. Nobody ever seems to mention just how tragic is all was. Putting the makeup back on in 96 was a masterstroke. Those tours did monster business.

5507E0FF-producer-toby-wright-talks-kiss-controversial-carnival-of-souls-album-without-bruce-kulick-this-album-wouldnt-exist-image.png.d00108d3891d610540e984d3bdeada54.png

At least they had their singer unlike Mötley Crües wretched grunge period. 

I love unmasked KISS, the 90s stuff is unlistenable but Lick it up and Asylum are my favourite albums of theirs.

• Paid Members
47 minutes ago, IANdrewDiceClay said:

I never even knew this! Brilliant!

I saw KISS on the Revenge tour in about 92, they were wonderful.  Paul Stanley had the audience right in the palm of his hand.  He said something along the lines of "I bet you guys have American bands coming over and saying 'BirmingHAM' so HEY BURMINGUM, HOWS IT GOING".  What a man.

Archived