Best Films On TV Tomorrow

Devon Malcolm

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The fact that it's HERZOG elevates it above the other film with the similar name.  I don't want to call it a remake because it isn't.  Abel Ferrara made a big song and dance about it, saying they'd butchered his vision or some bollocks.  HERZOG said something along the lines of "I don't know who he is and I've never seen his film".  

Read that in his voice.

• Paid Members

FRIDAY:-

Riff-Raff (1947) (Movies4Men, 06:00) - Entertaining, witty and offbeat noir as Pat O'Brien plays a 'fixer' around Panama City and ends up getting in a fix of his own regarding a treasure map. Pat O'Brien is great in the lead.

The China Syndrome (1979) (Movies4Men, 09:20) - Anxiety-inducing thriller about the investigation of a dodgy nuclear plant with Jane Fonda and Jack Lemmon putting in among the best performances of their careers. Utterly absorbing.

The Violent Men (1955) (Film4, 11:00) - The Glenn Ford / Barbara Stanwyck / Edward G. Robinson acting masterclass that you would expect, with some predictably scintillating exchanges, all wrapped in a terrific western from the underrated Rudolph Mate.

The Goonies (1985) (TCM, 18:45) - GO WALSH!

For Your Eyes Only (1981) (ITV4, 20:00) - I only relatively recently started to really appreciate this one. It still suffers from the lack of a memorable villain and Lynn Holly Johnson is incredibly annoying but it's one of the fastest-moving Bonds with two or three superb scenes - at least.

* D-MAL'S STAR CHOICE - Commando (1985) (Film4, 21:00) - It's extremely tiresome when people think you like this ironically, like it's not one of the greatest pure action movies ever made or something. I still want to know what was in that butty Alyssa Milano made for her dad.

Se7en (1995) (TCM, 23:10) - David Fincher will never make another film as good as Se7en, mainly because David Fincher's not nearly as great as has been made out. Mind you, few directors in history would be able to top this. Probably the greatest crime film of the 1990s.

The Guest (2014) (Channel 4, 00:40) - Adam Wingard's superb action-thriller turned slasher film with the brilliant soundtrack and Dan Stevens passing his Bond audition with flying colours. Rewatch this endlessly.

• Paid Members

I finally watched Triangle after it was recommended here and recorded it. I really enjoyed it, so thank you. 

I use this thread as a basis to record films for when my mom has nothing to watch. Keep up the good work Devon. 

On 9/27/2018 at 8:12 PM, Devon Malcolm said:

For Your Eyes Only (1981) (ITV4, 20:00) - It still suffers from the lack of a memorable villain

Whilst it is true that Julian Glover is easily one of the worst Bond villains, FYEO does boast the baddy with the most smackable face...

fyeo_46_500.jpg

• Paid Members

He should definitely have been the lead villain. Julian Glover's a great actor but he was given a duff character.

Sorry about missing the last couple of days, work and all that. There's not much on tomorrow aside from True Grit (the Coens' version) and Bone Tomahawk, both of which are on Film4 and both of which are very highly recommended.

• Paid Members
6 hours ago, Devon Malcolm said:

He should definitely have been the lead villain. Julian Glover's a great actor but he was given a duff character.

Sorry about missing the last couple of days, work and all that. There's not much on tomorrow aside from True Grit (the Coens' version) and Bone Tomahawk, both of which are on Film4 and both of which are very highly recommended.

Bone Tomahawk is one of those movies that I'd love to watch but that scene means I never will. Fuck that.

• Paid Members

Jesus. No thanks. I had a similar experience when I got chatting to a mate about William Defoe, and he told me about a film called 'Anti Christ' that he said was amazing. Luckily, I had enough sense to quickly search for reviews and that's where I learnt of the movie's horrifying content. Really glad I gave that one a skip too.

Archived