My Best Film: Tony Scott

Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members

Haven't done one of these for a while but I was inspired by this lovely tweet by Ellen Barkin about Tony Scott I just saw on Twitter:-

Regardless of extravagant cash gifts to great actors, Tony made a bunch of really enjoyable films. He never made the truly great film(s) that his brother made early in his career, but his consistency was fantastic.

I'm personally going to plump for Crimson Tide, despite Tarantino's attempts to ruin it with his stupid bits about comic books, but I feel sad! having to leave behind Enemy of the State, True Romance, The Last Boy Scout, Man on Fire, Top Gun, Deja Vu and Unstoppable.

I miss him.

• Paid Members

I do really like True Romance but I would have liked it more if it was a proper Tony Scott film rather than just basically another Tarantino film.

Anyone who likes Enemy of the State, I highly recommend trying to watch it back to back with The Conversation (which is Francis Ford Coppola's best film, incidentally). Scott's film is a sort of spiritual sequel that has some subtle allusions to The Conversation.

• Paid Members

I love Tony Scott movies. They never fail to entertain me and that's all I ask for when I watch a flick.

He's got quite the catalogue, but at a push, Man on Fire is my favourite flick of his. I'm an absolute sucker for a revenge or redemption tale and this flick pulls both off with outrageous style.

It’s tense, heartwarming, heartbreaking, clever and action packed in equal measures, and it’s also got the lovely Radha Mitchell going for it.

This track is a serious, SERIOUS hair on the necker backer stander upper.

“What I do best...”

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Devon Malcolm said:

Anyone who likes Enemy of the State, I highly recommend trying to watch it back to back with The Conversation (which is Francis Ford Coppola's best film, incidentally). Scott's film is a sort of spiritual sequel that has some subtle allusions to The Conversation.

I've not seen EOTS, but thanks for that recommendation - I really liked The Conversation; the closed-atmosphere tension, the paranoia, and Harry Caul's slow breakdown. That film re-emphasised to me just how damn good Hackman is; when Harry Caul has to contend with Popeye Doyle, Little Bill Daggett, and Rupert Anderson for top place as Hackman's best character (spoiler: it's Popeye Doyle), that should tell you everything.

• Paid Members

@Scott Malbranque - Man on Fire is absolutely superb. It really does show what a great partnership Scott and Denzel were that all that 'Creasy bear' stuff wasn't unbearable. It also absolutely craps on the terrible 1980s version of that story.

He really is so missed as a filmmaker. There are so few directors now who can rely on to make high entertainment blockbusters on a regular basis. Antoine Fuqua has had a go but he's not quite up to it.

It has to be Man On Fire for me.  It's kind of the perfect revenge thriller type film and it was bold enough to have a non-Hollywood ending.  I feel Denzel's been trying to do a sequel ever since, with varying degrees of success.

Honourable mention though, surely, to Top Gun.  There aren't many more testosterone-filled slices of celluloid than that.  I'm actually genuinely interested in seeing how the sequel is going to turn out as well.

As regards EOTS, I always assumed Gene Hackman's character was the same one as from The Conversation explicitly, so I'm surprised it's not official.

For basically the 90s, Tony Scott was the better Scott brother as a director.

• Paid Members

It's never been officially acknowledged that Hackman's character in Enemy of the State is Harry Caul but I think on occasions things like that are best left like that.

Top Gun 2 should be interesting although I'm not exactly enthused by them having Miles Teller in the cast.

Archived