Underseen, Underappreciated, yet easily found!

PowerButchi

• Moderators

Basically, here's a thread to point out matches which might not get much love as they've been forgotten, or not seen, but they;re easy to find with big names in them. Essentially "Awesome C-Show Match thread".

I thought I'd start with this, Texas vs Tennessee on Shotgun Challenge in June 1998. 

Blackjack Bradshaw/Terry Funk/Dustin Runnels (as a firey face before god bothering) vs Jerry Lawler/Brian Christopher/Scott Taylor

I can only find it in Spanish, but it's an absolute beast of a 10 minute match

• Paid Members

That is a bloody good match. Dustin was great as Goldust, but I always felt it was a shame we never got more of his bad-ass American Nightmare look with the jeans, tank top, and gloves, and the style that came with it. You'll know better than I do, but I always wondered why he never got past Goldust in WWE when he had that in his locker. Cool as hell. Also, that fist-drop counter to Taylor's monkey flip attempt is fucking skill.

Particularly loved the call-back to the Lawler/Funk rivalry. Tons of fun - although I was surprised to see Lawler jobbing out his big finish piece like that. It makes sense, I suppose, in that it's only a C-show match, and if you want to have a quick face-in-peril bit, fastest route to it is to hit a couple of nasty piledrivers.

• Paid Members

It's been removed, oddly, but I was watching a Shotgun Saturday Night (5th April 97) which started with a Mankind vs. Bob Holly match. Not going to claim it was a great match but I was really impressed with Holly. Obviously we know he can sell but his firey offence and great punches were better than any main eventer you'll see these days. Because he was such a shithead, you forget Holly could go.

• Paid Members

3 Minute Warning vs Tommy Dreamer, Spike Dudley and Maven - Heat, 13/04/2003. Starts at around the 14 minute mark.

I remember loving this match. Haven't watched it since but I assume that it's still great and has aged brilliantly in 15 years. I'll give it a go later on, see how it matches up after all this time. I had a quick glance at the finishing sequence and it still looks good to me.

I have particularly fond memories of it as it came on the same Sunday morning that my Dad had a little weekend surprise for me and my little brother by buying The Scorpion King on Box Office and taping it. Watched this cracking 6-man then dove straight into Dwayne Johnson's opus whilst sat on the floor munching on Pick&Mix. 

1 hour ago, Accident Prone said:

3 Minute Warning vs Tommy Dreamer, Spike Dudley and Maven - Heat, 13/04/2003. Starts at around the 14 minute mark.

I remember loving this match. Haven't watched it since but I assume that it's still great and has aged brilliantly in 15 years. I'll give it a go later on, see how it matches up after all this time. I had a quick glance at the finishing sequence and it still looks good to me.

I have particularly fond memories of it as it came on the same Sunday morning that my Dad had a little weekend surprise for me and my little brother by buying The Scorpion King on Box Office and taping it. Watched this cracking 6-man then dove straight into Dwayne Johnson's opus whilst sat on the floor munching on Pick&Mix. 

Why the bloody hell was Spike Dudley's titantron like he was in A-ha's Take On Me video? 

• Paid Members

Is that Terry Taylor on commentary? Nice little cameo from Supply & Demand in the recap segment as well.

• Paid Members

With the talk about Doc in the minor news thread (RIP) here's a worthwhile little match with his buddy Regal, good example of how you can still have a beginning, middle and end when you're only given four minutes.

Archived