Post An Unpopular Opinion

Keith Houchen

I can’t remember exactly which episode it’s from, but there’s a scene we’re Homer is chasing someone in a speedboat and his has to avoid things along the way, one of them being a woman who is waterskiing whilst with her baby’s pram, that was the moment were it entered Family Guy-style ‘random shit for no apparent reason’ territory, and I did stop watching for a while. Part of that could be down to Mike Scully staying on as the main Show Runner, rather than stepping aside after a handful of series like they had done previously. I liked the movie, and still do in fact, and then started watching sporadically again, with the last couple of series producing some good episodes again.

Edited by WyattSheepMask

I still watch the Simpsons and all the new episodes

Whilst it can't be denied the last 15 years isn't a patch on the first 15 there are still some good episodes floating around from this time.

And I agree with the above the last 2 seasons have been the best of the past decade for sure

• Paid Members
17 hours ago, Chest Rockwell said:

If you have a lot of time on your hands and like to watch a lot of mindless shite, in sure you could do worse than the Simpsons. But there's too much actually consistently good tv out there these days for me to waste time digging around in that dirt for the odd gem.

This is one of the key reasons it’s pretty crap (on top of the points made by Accident Prone above). 

Not only is there really good TV series (and vast quantities, highly accessible) for general TV viewers, but there’s far better animated TV series too. If animation is your thing, you know what’s about and what’s good. It hasn’t even got it’s POS going for it anymore. 

It just relies on the fact it’s The Simpsons.

Edited by Kaz Hayashi

• Paid Members
48 minutes ago, Scott Malbranque said:

I'll be honest D-Mal. I've had a few and I'm watching Eyes Wide Shut with Aoife {the missus) because she wont watch anything rancher than this or Peaky Blinders and Cruise is crying into a pillow over a mask at a weird camera angle and I'm anfry and annoyed.

I do love yhe Shinning though 

But... Full Metal Jacket....

of the films I have seen I have seen I would say he can be a bit of a mixed bag from the amazing to the average. 

• Awards Moderator
7 hours ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

But... Full Metal Jacket....

of the films I have seen I have seen I would say he can be a bit of a mixed bag from the amazing to the average. 

In the case of FMJ, there are those who’d argue you’ve got “the amazing to the average” in the same film!

• Paid Members

The only one of of his films I actively disliked was Fear and Desire. Would never have guessed he would go on to achieve what he did after that, it's AWFUL. I love Eyes Wide Shut unconditionally.

I used to think that I liked the first half of Full Metal Jacket and not the Vietnam half but I changed my mind on that, they're both outstanding. My favourite is still The Shining, I watch it every Halloween, but yeah. I'm a fan.

• Paid Members
56 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said:

The only one of of his films I actively disliked was Fear and Desire. Would never have guessed he would go on to achieve what he did after that, it's AWFUL. I love Eyes Wide Shut unconditionally.

I used to think that I liked the first half of Full Metal Jacket and not the Vietnam half but I changed my mind on that, they're both outstanding. My favourite is still The Shining, I watch it every Halloween, but yeah. I'm a fan.

I only finally watched The Shining last Halloween after going to the horror maze at Universals Halloween Horror Nights. I don't think it is the scariest horror film I have ever seen, however I do think it is one of my favorites. If you haven't already seen it I recommend watching

Ready Player one

• Paid Members

The comic book artwork of Jack Kirby is bang average on his best day, and fuck awful on the others. Also, his stories were stupid, and his estate should be happy Stan Lee nicked credit. Also, Stan Lee's scripts were full of shit. Basically, the gold standard of Silver Age Marvel comics is wank, but just struck the right nerve in the 60s, a horrible decade.

• Paid Members
57 minutes ago, Sergio Mendacious said:

The comic book artwork of Jack Kirby is bang average on his best day, and fuck awful on the others. Also, his stories were stupid, and his estate should be happy Stan Lee nicked credit. Also, Stan Lee's scripts were full of shit. Basically, the gold standard of Silver Age Marvel comics is wank, but just struck the right nerve in the 60s, a horrible decade.

Wow that's blasphemy, this is the most shocking thing in this thread. Jack Kirkby is one of my all time heroes, he's certainly not the prettiest artist ever but the guy was a total visionary and you can recognise his stuff from half a mile away. For a gruff old time Jewish New Yorker his ideas were incredibly far out as well.

• Paid Members
1 minute ago, Bellenda Carlisle said:

Wow that's blasphemy, this is the most shocking thing in this thread. Jack Kirkby is one of my all time heroes, he's certainly not the prettiest artist ever but the guy was a total visionary and you can recognise his stuff from half a mile away. For a gruff old time Jewish New Yorker his ideas were incredibly far out as well.

I can recognize a puddle of piss from a good distance, doesn't mean I want to go anywhere near it.