Paul Hardcastle's Domestic Football 18/nuh nuh nuh 19

PowerButchi

22 hours ago, Keith Houchen said:

The neutrals favourite definitely exists.  It is tied in with the "Everyone loves a scouser" thing which seems to exist as well.  The old salt of the earth scouse lad stereotype is one for a reason.  However I think that us against the world and we are all scousers mentality exist for a reason.  This is a city that the tories set out to smear and destroy.  Sure, they also closed and decimated industry and towns all across the north but with Liverpool, it was the city and the spirit they wanted to close, so I can totally get and applaud the mindset of Liverpudlians for that defensiveness and togetherness.

I don’t know if I’m misreading but aren’t the two points here opposites? Fwiw I’ve never ever met a (non plastic) Liverpool fan that thought we were neutral favs or that the scouser is a beloved archetype.  It’s infinitely more Liverpool vs everyone

Rick nailed it - everyone hates everyone now and I suspect the hates goes up more or less in lockstep with the level of coverage

• Paid Members
20 hours ago, Keith Houchen said:

Having won trophies in the past doesn’t give you a points head start. I’m sure it’s nice and all but ultimately it means fuck all in the here and now. 

Ask Villa,Forrest and Leeds. Means fuck all

• Paid Members
On 12/30/2018 at 12:31 PM, Louch said:

I have always hated Liverpool and never put it down to one thing, but they always seem to come along with something new to keep my hatred fuelled. However I want them to do well enough to keep Koop in a job as I want to keep Gerrard at Rangers for a few years yet as he and his coaching team have not only gotten what Rangers are about, they are also coaching players to be better and seeing improvements across all the squad they inherited as well. 

If Rangers finish well behind a Celtic league win, or, God forbid, finish third then Gerrard is gone. No way he'll be staying after that stuff. I assumed it was always the case. Gerrard would stay one season (if he didn't win the league), then Gary McAllister would step in. Exactly like the Warburton (when he got a better job) and Davie Weir would get the job, but he ended up going too, so that mucked everything up there and then we had that Mexican I can't even remember the name of.

Edited by bAzTNM#1

• Paid Members

The wheels would have to come off spectacularly for that to happen. From outside, Gerrard looks a great fit for Rangers, they worked hard to attract him and he's made a great start. I don't see them giving that up. In fact, he looks to be in a position of real strength. Even if they fall away, he must have done enough in a short time having built a side with pride, fight and no little ability that has impressed in several Europa League games and some big ones domestically. 

Surely everyone at Rangers is now sitting down and working out what they need to take the next step. In Gerrard, they've got a guy with winning mentality.  They were clearly hoping for another Souness and that's not a million miles away. To me, they seem to have struggled to break down some of the smaller sides who get a load of players behind the ball. They either need some real creativity behind the striker or midfielders who can move the ball quicker.

Certainly have plenty to build on. They were outstanding at the weekend. 1-0 flattered Celtic.

1st or 2nd he’s here next season. Only had one transfer window so far to address a 6 year long problem and we have went from 11 points behind at new year last year to level. Few adjustments in January, and we can get challenging rest of the season

• Paid Members

Chelsea have signed Christian Pulisic from Dortmund (but have loaned him back until he end of the season). A dangerously sensible signing and I just hope he gets to play with Hazard, rather than replacing him. Both Willian and Pedro are creaking on the wrong side of 30 and we have done fuck all to integrate youth players (Hudson-Oddoi), despite him surely deserving a few more run outs in recent weeks.

• Paid Members

Seems a very Chelsea signing. He'll get in the way for Hudson-Odoi, who might even go to Bayern, and cost a fortune. Similar to signing Ross Barkley and Kovacic and stunting Loftus-Cheek's development. I see your point on Hazard, Willian and Pedro but bet a pound to a penny that they'll be replaced with big money signings. All this does is stick a very promising player in the way of another promising player at a big loss.

Edited by tiger_rick

• Paid Members

Yeah, it definitely is a Chelsea signing. Not that this is ever going to happen, but I don't think theoretically would have to stop CHO getting minutes next season, as I wouldn't be shocked if two of Hazard, Willian and Pedro leave this summer. What that means is that we'll just sign someone else in the summer though! 

The RLC situation is a pain (although he's been unfortunate in injuries over Christmas), as he's been very good in all but one appearance I've seen and Kovacic hasn't quite reached the level you would have hoped for during his loan spell so far. 

It's definitely a two year process under Sarri though. You can't play clog ball for the best part of 15 years and expect to become an incisive attacking team overnight, irrespective of how good the personnel is or isn't. 

Edited by Gus Mears

• Paid Members

Pulisic is already a higher standard though. He was excellent for Dortmund last season and would probably be having another decent season if Jadon Sancho wasn't a freak of nature. In the England VS USA friendly, Pulisic looked very impressive, everything went through him. He should be a very good signing, probably/hopefully a Hazard replacement.