UFC 226: Miocic vs Cormier

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?   

18 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Paid Members

Saw the news from the weekend. My takeaway is, Brock just looked head and shoulders bigger than every one in the cage. It was like a college kid wading into a school playground.

If we’re heading for a Brock vs. Cormier money match and Brock wins, that’s going to be some history right there. I imagine it would mean Brock be less active in WWE than he currently is, but imagine him when he does show up with the Universal title slung over one shoulder and the UFC belt over the other.

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
11 minutes ago, Your Fight Site said:

Saw the news from the weekend. My takeaway is, Brock just looked head and shoulders bigger than every one in the cage. It was like a college kid wading into a school playground.

Yeh, he looked monstrous. The whole thing was brilliant. Brock's getting whooped by the little fat bloke come fight time though.

• Paid Members

Brock's current contract with WWE ends in August. He can't compete in the UFC until possibly January at the earliest. Brock is entering a negotiating period now and he's in a strong position. WWE know he can go to UFC. UFC know WWE have more money than ever to offer Brock for not having to go through a real fight. I'm not sure if this is going to end up with Brock going to one group over the other, or if both will want him enough that they will compromise in order to share him. 

• Paid Members
17 minutes ago, WeeAl said:

Brock's current contract with WWE ends in August. He can't compete in the UFC until possibly January at the earliest. Brock is entering a negotiating period now and he's in a strong position. WWE know he can go to UFC. UFC know WWE have more money than ever to offer Brock for not having to go through a real fight. I'm not sure if this is going to end up with Brock going to one group over the other, or if both will want him enough that they will compromise in order to share him. 

I want him to moonlight. UFC fans’ heads will explode if a “fake wrestling champion” is also the UFC heavyweight champion 😂

• Paid Members
18 minutes ago, WeeAl said:

Brock was more interesting in those 2 minutes then he has been for about a year over in the E. I would rather he walked in August to go back to the Octagon

• Paid Members

If anything, 226 just hammered home to me why i love MMA and boxing so much. Recently ive found myself getting sucked back into pro wrestling more, not so much watching shows but just following it more and its hindered my interest in MMA cause i spend time watching/listening to wrestling related content over MMA stuff. Then you watch an event like 226 and you realise theres just no comparison is there? you cant create these emotions in a scripted environment. When MMA hits it out of the park and lets a story like Daniel Cormiers play out organically in front of your eyes theres just nothing like it, just incredible scenes. Brilliant.

Aye, it succeeded on all levels. It was a ton of fun, and it made me want to see fight all the more. 

I think MMA has failed lately when it comes to pre-fight hyperbole. Don't get me wrong, Romero vs Whittaker and D.C vs Miocic were two cracking slices of sporting drama. If you didn't get something out of those two fights, then MMA competition is probably not for you. But still, most of the theatre that came with these fights took place inside the cage.

Outside of the cage, MMA fans have been exposed to Colby Covington's unpleasant character and an Ortiz/Liddell rivalry that peaked over a decade ago. There has not been much fun to be had with either (IMO). Lesnar vs D.C made for a refreshing change in tempo. 

• Paid Members

Aye. When MMA gets it right it's impossible not to be completely invested in every facet of the game. It's never easy, of course, when you've got the likes of Blaydes knocking about who just doesn't get that MMA at it's best is basically pro wrestling 101. UFC have been guilty of moving away from the formula many times, only to come swimming back to that particular life raft when they realise they've hurt their business a bit. Appealing to those rubbish casual fans is what they did so well for many years.

They've lucked out with DC winning because he gets it.

Anyway, I came in here to say that I think one of the most impressive parts of Stipe's title run is that he seems to have completely zapped Ngannou of his confidence. Ngannou was the scariest man ever, according to some, but after 5 rounds with Stipe he could not have looked less confident in his abilities on this show. Lewis, with his bad back, was able to coast. We all agreed that most men don't make it out of the 3 minutes of hell Stipe went through when he fought Ngannou, but there is a chance we may never see that sort of terror again from Ngannou.

Dana was clearly livid that his project hasn't worked out at all.

Francis Ngannou vs Derrick Lewis was just a complete waste of time. On paper it sounded like a must see, but it was a non starter from the beginning. Disappointing since both are much better fighters than that. 

Pleased for DC, he seems like a really good dude and its a shame he's at the twilight of his career. Say he was ten years younger he could be the next breakout UFC star since we don't know what's going on with Conor, but hopefully DC will stick around for a couple more fights. Hes a really good analyst so I'm sure he will stay with the UFC when he retires. A future hall of famer without question.

The pull apart with Brock was great. Reminded me of Attitude WWF. Really enjoyable and in that short time made it a mark it on the calendar must see fight. 

Sly old dog.

He knows.

Brock/DC is huge either way, but it’s bigger if DC doesn’t get beat first. Get a big name with some residual interest, get a win and get after Brock.

He doesn’t need a real fight before then, he needs a patsy to beat.

Though, if Shogun knocked out DC there’d be a part of me who’d die laughing.

Though Anthony Smith is probably going to spoil the party first.

...Chuck Liddell?

• Paid Members

At least Bisping vs Hendo 2 had the backstory of their first fight though and the thing of it being Hendo's retirement fight and one last chance at a UFC title. There were some real promotional hooks there. And, in hindsight, Hendo proved he had one last great fight in him. He went out with a bang and nearly KO'd Bisping again. Twice. That was a proper FOTY contender. 

DC vs Shogun has nothing. It's dead. It's like booking Stone Cold Steve Austin vs Barry Horowitz on a PPV in 1998. And I say that as a massive Shogun fan. Just a waste of DC's limited time left in the sport. And a bad beating for Shogun. You know it's bad when as big a Shogun fan as me is arguing against him getting an unlikely title shot. Plus, DC's just been saying that any fight now needs to be a PPV shifter, Gustafsson doesn't generate buys etc. But he's up for fighting Shogun? DC vs Gus 2 mightn't set the world alight on PPV but there's no way DC vs Shogun does more, and it'd probably do significantly less. 

I don't like DC vs Shogun on any level. There's like 1% of me going 'BUT...What if? What if Shogun pulled it off?' But then the other 99% of me knows that's not fucking well happening. Ever. 

• Paid Members

True, but that's with hindsight. I think we all walked into the Hendo fight feeling pretty safe knowing Bisping was going to win. I just found it funny that after such a big momentous win, DC throws in that he wants Shogun. Gust is the fight, but DC just wants none of it. I suppose it's all graft for little coin.

Archived