UFC 226: Miocic vs Cormier

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?   

18 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

1 minute ago, Keith Houchen said:

Cheers, I'll employ a bit more blue sky thinking and pick off the low hanging fruit when we touch base next.

Haha. Don't. I used to be the number one 'caller-outer' of people who spoke in wanky terms.

Then I started working in marketing and i'm now definitely a prick.

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

I started a diploma in Digital Marketing, but never finished it. Picked up some useful stuff, but I got the distinct impression that qualifications have less value than on-the-job experience, because the technology and marketing mix models evolve so fast.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/11/2018 at 11:23 PM, Carbomb said:

I don't know, man. I don't think they need to rely on his quotes. If anything, I'd say that sort of thing is [theproducers] exactly why [/theproducers] he needs a promoter and a marketing machine. A system that will gloss over his inability to articulate anything except stupid statements, and hype up all his strengths, i.e. that he's an amazing fighter that none of his contemporaries have ever come close to beating, that he's the longest-reigning champion in the UFC, that he's the only Flyweight champion, that he beat a guy with a German suplex-to-armbar combo, that he's never been beaten at Flyweight, etc. etc. There's more than enough there for the UFC to work with, and they've managed to put videos together for fights less appealing than that. That's why it's so aggravating: they've shown they can promote almost any fight they want when they want to.

I wasn't suggesting they try and promote the fight based on the dumb things he says. But fighters do all sorts of pre-fight promotional work in press conferences, interviews and so on, so they need to be careful about what they say. Twenty years ago problem things said in interviews could easily be swept under the carpet, but with social media and news going worldwide in minutes people need to be more media savvy. Some fighters have the ability, whether learned or simply instinctive, to be able to promote fights with a few words. Others, such as DJ, say things that would substantially reduce interest in a fight. Who's going to pay $50 to see a fight where one participant admits he's got no chance of winning and it's a cash grab? DJ definitely does need a promoter and marketing machine, but he also needs to be able to work with them. As soon as he's told who/when he's fighting, one of the first questions he should be asking is "what can I do to help promote the fight?". 

• Paid Members

Brian Ortega talking about his fight with Holloway getting cancelled and Dana being a bit of a knob (not his words). If you can stomach Schaub interrupting it's worth a listen. 

Dana's a fucking baby. I get that it's got to be a ballache when fights drop out like this but it's going to happen in a sport like MMA. I think Ortega's right as well, he should've got something for showing up, making weight, doing double the media in English and Spanish to promote the fight. Not even like he was asking for his full purse, show and win money etc. Just something to cover his training camp expenses etc. But because he won't take an eleventh hour opponent switch against a last minute replacement in a fight where he has everything to lose and nothing to gain, he gets nothing. I absolutely don't blame Ortega for saying no. He's stepped in on short notice a few times in the past, including against Frankie Edgar. Seriously, who fights Frankie Edgar on short notice? Most can't handle him after a full camp, Ortega KO'd him in a round on 3 weeks notice. He's already the number one contender. An interim title does fuck all for him at this point. He's already there. It makes zero sense for him to risk the position he's grafted to get to and earned, by recklessly going in against a switched up opponent, who he hasn't prepared for, on a couple of days notice. I'm sure he's confident he can beat anyone but why stack the odds against yourself like that? 

I hope Holloway is alright and hopefully the Holloway vs Ortega fight can get rebooked for one of the PPVs later in the year. It'd be a shame if that fight ended up never happening. 

Is anyone else getting the feeling that we're seeing Dana get real old, real fast these days?

He's trying to apply promotional tactics that worked for him in 2005 to fighters who are a lot smarter than many of the guys of that era. He simply doesn't seem able to adapt to the fact that in todays MMA world mutherfuckers want paid! It's not good enough anymore to try and appeal to them on the grounds of "being the man, sucking it up, being a badass" and all that shit.

These dudes are professional fighters. Pay them, Dana. If a fight falls through you take the hit, pay them their base rate and carry on. Someone agreeing to an opponent switch late-on should be a fucking bonus, not expected.

21 minutes ago, Egg Shen said:

Its possible, but its hard to guage Dana as much as we were used too because hes not in the spotlight anymore.

We don't need to actually hear from him though, we just need to hear from fighters like Ortega who've had to deal with him. He needs to shift his mindset a bit and realise that fighters are more savvy today than they've ever been. 

• Paid Members

Reebok, new owners, Bellator and Conor have melded together at the same time to create this environment.

A lot of fighters got shafted with the Reebok deal, with "all the money is going to the fighters" never happening. The new owners are basically invisible, where as the previous ones were savvy enough to create a team/family atmosphere - with the help of backstage bonuses. Bellator are spending some serious cash, so good fighters know they can earn a good living elsewhere. And, of course, Conor making the money he has in the way he has definitely woke up a lot of fighters as to their worth and how they can go about getting it.

We've also now got the massive new telly deal money coming in too, which I'm sure won't be going to raise fighters pay.

Part of the appeal of the UFC to the current owners, despite the risks, is a small percentage of UFC revenue goes to the fighters.

Anyway, I doubt Dana will change, even if fighters are slowly starting to become aware that they're worth more - even the ones that aren't.

Archived