UFC 226: Miocic vs Cormier

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?   

18 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

On 6/27/2018 at 8:10 AM, jimufctna24 said:

If Brock returns to the UFC, I have little doubt that the UFC will give him the easiest and most viable route possible for a title shot.  

It won't matter what route they give him if Stipe has the strap, because he'd get all kinds of fucked up in that fight.

Even discounting the stylistic nightmare, Lesnar is now 40 years old and has fought once in close to seven years, and even then he was on something and got slapped with a ban.

Miocic is a fucking wrecking ball of epic proportions. I honestly think that the way in which he wins this fight against Cormier will make a lot of people sit up and go "wow."

On 6/30/2018 at 8:10 PM, Egg Shen said:

Ive fancied DC since the day this fight was announced. Im not as high on Stipe as most, i dont really see him being elite at any one thing he just puts it all together well, that said i cant see him handling DC's wrestling. Seeing how DC threw other good wrestlers around at heavyweight i just fancy him to out grapple Stipe and possibly outbox him. DC by late TKO.

DC has beaten the likes of Roy Nelson, Frank Mir, Josh Barnett and Big Foot at heavyweight, but I honestly don't think any of them come close to the Stipe that exists today.

His last two stoppages at heavy were Dion Staring and Big Foot, and those were years ago. 

I can't see him taking Miocic 5 rounds for a decision, and I don't think he's stopping him. 

Miocic by KO in fairly devasting fashion is my prediction.

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply
23 minutes ago, David said:

It won't matter what route they give him if Stipe has the strap, because he'd get all kinds of fucked up in that fight.

Even discounting the stylistic nightmare, Lesnar is now 40 years old and has fought once in close to seven years, and even then he was on something and got slapped with a ban.

Agreed.

24 minutes ago, David said:

Miocic by KO in fairly devasting fashion is my prediction.

I am also predicting a Miocic victory. But I think it will go to the cards. 

For the first two rounds of their rematch, D.C was doing okay on the feet against Jones. I am aware that Miocic is probably a better boxer than Jones. However, Miocic was able to live with a fighter who had a considerable size and reach advantage against him. D.C has only ever been stopped once by Jones and has tremendous resolve. He took some hard shots against Rumble and Gusty, and managed to survive and get the win. 

Few places and people reporting the UFC considering adding Jeremy Stephens/Frankie Edgar for the interim 145 title to this. I am so not on-board for that.

Fucking stupid.

Idea is that Ortega will wait, face Max if he's fit and then the winner would face the winner of Stephens/Edgar OR Ortega goes straight on to face the winner of Edgar/Stephens if it turns out Max is worst off than first thought.

Let it go, WME.

3 hours ago, jimufctna24 said:

I am also predicting a Miocic victory. But I think it will go to the cards. 

For the first two rounds of their rematch, D.C was doing okay on the feet against Jones. I am aware that Miocic is probably a better boxer than Jones. However, Miocic was able to live with a fighter who had a considerable size and reach advantage against him. D.C has only ever been stopped once by Jones and has tremendous resolve. He took some hard shots against Rumble and Gusty, and managed to survive and get the win. 

It's the power that Stipe has that I think will be the difference. He has weird power that he can generate with punches that look like they shouldn't be putting people away.

I personally think that Miocic hits way harder than Jones does. He's a legit 245lbs, and he's light on his feet at the weight. He's taller than DC, has something like an eight-inch reach advantage, NCAA Div 1 credentials so he's no chump on the mat, 72% knock out ratio with some notable chins on that record.

I'd be incredibly surprised if this goes the full five. Can't see beyond a Stipe stoppage in the middle rounds, if DC makes it that far.

1 hour ago, d-d-d-dAz said:

Few places and people reporting the UFC considering adding Jeremy Stephens/Frankie Edgar for the interim 145 title to this. I am so not on-board for that.

Fucking stupid.

Idea is that Ortega will wait, face Max if he's fit and then the winner would face the winner of Stephens/Edgar OR Ortega goes straight on to face the winner of Edgar/Stephens if it turns out Max is worst off than first thought.

Let it go, WME.

I can understand them looking at an interim if Holloway's concussion is as bad as first thought, but man, they need to give it time to play out and see what the doctors are saying.

If Ortega is happy to sit until the dust settles then fair enough. If it then turns out that Holloway is out for a good chunk of time then they can look at what needs done.

I may be in the minority, but I don't really want to see Frankie anywhere near another title shot so soon. I know he's coming off a win, but I'm just fed up seeing the dude at the moment.

Where's Jose Aldo? He beat Edgar fairly comfortably last time they fought for the title, and okay, he's lost twice to Holloway, but surely he should be in the mix somewhere?

• Paid Members

They really don't need to replace the fight on this card. Unless Ortega wants to fight somebody else, then UFC should let it be. There's already a huge fight on top. Leave Aldo Vs Stephens on that Calgary card, and let it play out from there when they know more about Max. 

17 minutes ago, d-d-d-dAz said:

I'm guessing at such short notice they're probably limited to guys who live in the region of 145 at all times. Aldo's quite big usually, isn't he? Probably needs to longer to get the weight off.

Yeah, I don't mean for this weekend, I mean in general. It's as though they just discount any kind of common sense to try and get a title fight on the card. Doesn't matter who's fighting, as long as there's a shiny gold belt involved its all gravy, apparently.

13 minutes ago, WeeAl said:

They really don't need to replace the fight on this card. Unless Ortega wants to fight somebody else, then UFC should let it be. There's already a huge fight on top. Leave Aldo Vs Stephens on that Calgary card, and let it play out from there when they know more about Max. 

Apologies for the double post, but wouldn't the Aldo vs Stephens fight make more sense as an interim bout? By then they'll know more about Max and how he's doing, and regardless of who wins in Calgary we get a fresher opponent for Ortega than Edgar would be.

• Paid Members

I think all signs point towards Max wanting to go up to 155 from now on. I think they'll just leave Ortega off the card this week, the event still has its main event so they won't be desperate to fill that spot. Ortega vs. a Stephens for the vacant belt could be next.

1 hour ago, David said:

It's the power that Stipe has that I think will be the difference. He has weird power that he can generate with punches that look like they shouldn't be putting people away.

I personally think that Miocic hits way harder than Jones does. He's a legit 245lbs, and he's light on his feet at the weight. He's taller than DC, has something like an eight-inch reach advantage, NCAA Div 1 credentials so he's no chump on the mat, 72% knock out ratio with some notable chins on that record.

I'd be incredibly surprised if this goes the full five. Can't see beyond a Stipe stoppage in the middle rounds, if DC makes it that far.

I agree with the bolded. As I have stated previously, I consider Miocic to be a better boxer than Jones, and a tough stylistic match-up for him in general. However, Jones is more diverse than Miocic on the feet. Jones utilises his elbows and legs a lot more than Miocic does. It was a head kick that Jones used to finish off Cormier in their rematch. 

D.C has never been lit up by a straight boxer. He was knocked down by Rumble in their first fight, but managed to survive. He also went 25 minutes with Gusty, who is one of the finest boxers in the heavier divisions. Of course, Miocic is a taller task than Rumber and Gusty. But, I think you are underestimating D.C a bit. 

We shall see come Saturday night. Even with Max vs Ortega being called off, I am still looking forward to this one. 

• Paid Members

I don't think David is necessarily underestimating DC, rather he finds Stipe undeniable.

I think when discussing DC v power, it's worth remembering he's in there with maybe the best to ever do it. Rumble, for all his enviable physical gifts, has shown he's a bit of a bully and when things don't go to plan he can wilt. Stipe isn't made of that. Stipe by name, stoic by nature. No better example than his 'Reem fight, where under the pressure of fighting in his backyard, he not only overcame adversity, he managed to smash it in the face. Or even Ngannou where he survived a terrifying 3 minutes of fury. Stipe has death power combined with that Immigrant Mentality.

If DC can't establish his grappling and clinch work, then it could be a long night for him. Stipe may be a "straight up boxer" compared to the complexity of Jon Jones' weapons, but Stipe also can ruin your night after a bloody jab. Jones and DC don't have that.

Although I should add I'm not writing off DC. I'm still unsure about the outcome.

44 minutes ago, ColinBollocks said:

I don't think David is necessarily underestimating DC, rather he finds Stipe undeniable.

That's exactly it.

If this were DC coming up to face any other heavyweight I'd maybe think differently, but this isn't Bigfoot, Overeem, Barnett or Roy Nelson. And it sure as fuck isn't Rumble, Gusty or Volkan.

We're talking about what looks like the greatest heavyweight of all time. He basically has the full package, and I honestly don't think DC has faced a harder one-punch fighter in his career.

EDIT: If anything, people are underestimating Miocic. Same as they did when we were all sure that big Francis was gonna lay waste to him.

17 minutes ago, David said:

If this were DC coming up to face any other heavyweight I'd maybe think differently, but this isn't Bigfoot, Overeem, Barnett or Roy Nelson. And it sure as fuck isn't Rumble, Gusty or Volkan.

We're talking about what looks like the greatest heavyweight of all time. He basically has the full package, and I honestly don't think DC has faced a harder one-punch fighter in his career. I honestly don't think DC has faced a harder one-punch fighter in his career.

Certainly. 

But on the other hand, D.C will be harder to put away than any of the other fighters that Miocic has scored stoppages over.

- He doesn't make as many mistakes as Werdum.

- He isn't as fragile as Overeem and Arlovski.

- He isn't as shopworn as JDS.

- He's more well-rounded than Hunt. 

There’s a video doing the rounds of Holloway being interviewed via satellite by Bisping, and Bisping points out how out of it he sounds. Jeeeeeesus, I might be putting 2 and 2 together and getting CTE but shit, he sounds punchy as fuck.

Archived