UFC 226: Miocic vs Cormier

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?   

18 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I get the feeling that a lot of people are writing Ngannou off simply because he lost to Stipe, despite the fact that Stipe is one of the best heavyweights of all time.

I don't know of any other heavyweight who lasts through that initial onslaught, and that includes Lewis.

I reckon Ngannou wins this one in quite spectacular fashion via 1st round knock out.

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
9 hours ago, David said:

I get the feeling that a lot of people are writing Ngannou off simply because he lost to Stipe, despite the fact that Stipe is one of the best heavyweights of all time.

Definitely seeing a lot of this. A lot of MMA fans are fickle as fuck. It's all about how you looked in your last fight, which can be misleading when assessing a fighter because things vary from fight to fight. The level of opposition, the style of matchup, injuries, bad weight cuts, whatever. You can't right a guy off on the strength of one bad night. Especially, as you say, when they're up against one of the best of all time in their division. I think Ngannou still has tons of potential. 

Just watched the Weigh In. Fucking hell. I keep forgetting how deep a card this really is. Most cards would be knackered losing a fight like Max Holloway vs Brian Ortega but this still looks absolutely rammed. Says it all about how strong this one is. 

vVEgPD.jpg

Stipe vs DC is such a big fight historically. There's never been a time when there's been a fight with the reigning UFC Heavyweight champion vs the reigning UFC Light Heavyweight champion. And both of these two are in the conversation as being the best of all time in their respective divisions. There's only Fedor or maybe Cain you could make a case for over Stipe at heavyweight. And at 205, it's only Jon Jones you can put above Cormier and even then there are asterisks next to that. So these two are very much in that GOAT discussion. And we're seeing them fight tonight! It almost doesn't feel like it's really even happening. I've been leaning towards Stipe ever since the fight was made. It's why I was initially lukewarm on this fight even being booked. I don't want to see DC get battered. But I understand why the fight is on and definitely get why DC is going for this opportunity. It's a great fight but I just think it's asking too much of DC. He was a very good undefeated heavyweight early on in his career and he beat some good opposition. But the guys he beat weren't at the level Stipe Miocic is operating at today. And now Cormier is 6/7 years older with more miles on the clock and has already suffered a bad knockout against Jones last year. Plus he's not really a proper heavyweight IMO. I mean, he is in that the weight he walks around at is heavyweight. But you get my drift, don't you? He's a small, fat heavyweight. When he cuts to 205 he's much better conditioned physically but the cut is tough on him. Cormier is probably the best example of a guy who needed a Cruiserweight division. Say 220 or 225lbs. Because he's not quite big enough for heavyweight but he's a bit too thick and stocky for 205 long term. Just speaks to what a tremendous fighter he is though, that he's been so successful at both weights despite neither being optimal for his body type. I hope he pulls it off tonight. I really do. Nothing against Stipe, I'm just a DC guy. 

I've got Stipe by KO/TKO though. Probably sometime in the first 3 rounds. I hear the arguments that DC is the best wrestler Stipe will have fought and that's right. But the size difference could negate some of that and it's not like Stipe is some Kimbo level grappler, he's got a clue how to wrestle albeit nowhere near DC's level. Plus, while DC is the best wrestler Stipe will have faced, the flipside to that is that Stipe is undeniably the best heavyweight DC will have come up against. I mean, Josh Barnett was awesome but he was already slowing down when DC beat him. Just think this is a proper uphill battle for Cormier. 

B0GFEk.jpg

Ngannou vs Lewis is surely ending with a bang. The weigh in face off was intense as fuck. I think the stage might've collapsed if they proper got into it. Dana must've shat a brick having to get between these two. 

Going Ngannou by KO for the reasons I gave on the last page. Just think he's the better striker and Lewis is more likely to gas or fold mentally first. It's a question of who lands the bomb first so given how Ngannou throws cleaner punches and is faster, I'm definitely favouring him. You never know with the big boys but that's how I see it going. 

rkAGs3.jpg

Felder vs Perry being such a late addition to the card means we haven't even really talked about it but it should be fireworks. Perry only knows how to fight one way. He really is the modern day Phil Baroni. Really entertaining to watch but I find him such a twat I can't help rooting against him. On paper, Felder has the striking game to outclass him. We've seen Alan Jouban and Santiago Ponzinibbio school him on the feet with technical striking and I think Felder can do that providing he doesn't allow himself to be dragged into a brawl. 

Felder by decision for me. 

bIfi8f.jpg

Chiesa vs Pettis should be a good 'un. Chiesa missed weight for this and he's said this will be his last fight at 155. These two were mouthing off a lot at the weigh in. Watching Embedded, Pettis was getting on his case for missing weight. Which Chiesa pointed out, is a bit rich considering Pettis didn't make weight against Holloway when they fought. I really like this fight. Very different styles of striking and if it stays on the feet Pettis should walk it really. The grappling could be incredible if they go that route though. 

Tough one but I'll say Chiesa on points. I can see his size advantage being a factor. Especially if they end up grappling a lot.

82xr26.jpg

Saki vs Rountree is one of those fights I keep forgetting is happening. Can't wait for this. Big fan of Gokhan Saki and I like the little I've seen of Rountree so far. Another intense staredown at the weigh in with these two. Almost 50/50 on this. Saki is the bigger name given his Kickboxing accolades but he's still very inexperienced as far as MMA goes. This is only his 3rd MMA fight, and Rountree looks decent. 

Fuck it. Saki by KO. Bit of a tossup so I'm going with a bit of wishful thinking. If Rountree comes to grapple this could get ugly for Saki but we'll see. 

hnEzHw.jpg

Hall vs Costa...man, this card is killer fight after killer fight. Another one I forgot about until the graphic popped up at the weigh in. Hall's always a difficult fighter to predict because you never know what you're getting out of him from one fight to the next. He's always dangerous though. He just seems to sleepwalk through some fights for whatever reason. 

I like Costa by KO here though. I really rate him from what we've seen. He's a wrecking ball. If Hall isn't on for every second of this then he's getting laid out. He's an incredibly naturally talented fighter, he just seems to have too many mental lapses in fights and I think Costa is going to ruin him. 

RIYQB6.jpg

Assuncao vs Font is probably going to be the least anticipated fight here and this is still a really good fight. Assuncao's very underappreciated and I think Font's got skills as well. Font can be a bit inconsistent for my liking though. He'll look great one fight, so-so the next. And if there's one thing Assuncao is it's consistent. He only loses to top level guys and even then he usually makes them graft for a hard fought decision. 

Assuncao by submission. I like how he's been looking of late and I think his experience and overall skillset trumps whatever Font brings.

Ri6vzJ.jpg

Vannata vs Klose is going to be a shot in the dark because I can't remember much of Drakkar Klose at all. I know I've seen him fight and I recall him being pretty solid so, combined with Lando and his wacky offence, this should fun. 

Vannata by decision. Purely guesswork and a Lando win is what I'm hoping for. He's one of the most consistently entertaining fighters on the roster for me right now. I always expect something wild out of a Lando fight now. 

QHKbVU.jpg

Millender vs Griffin is another hard call. Mostly because we just haven't seen enough of these two yet and don't really have all the data on their styles. I've been impressed by both their recent outings though. Griffin outpointed Mike Perry and Millender's striking looked fantastic in his UFC debut, stopping Thiago Alves. 

Again, bit of a coin flip but I'm saying Millender on points. I really think he could potentially be a contender down the line. Obviously we need to see his whole game tested but on first impressions I think he's got something. 

FwbX6f.jpg

Hooker vs Burns, like Ebb said, really should've been on the televised bit. Hooker has more than earned that given his recent knockouts of Jim Miller and Ross Pearson. He's in top form right now. And Gilbert Burns is no cakewalk opponent. He's 14-2 and a world champion BJJ black belt who has started knocking people out. This is a proper test for Dan Hooker. Great fight. 

I'm fancying Hooker by KO/TKO again here but it really is a tough one to predict. 

So my predictions;

Stipe Miocic by KO/TKO 

Francis Ngannou by KO/TKO 

Paul Felder by Decision

Michael Chiesa by Decision

Gokhan Saki by KO/TKO 

Paulo Costa by KO/TKO 

Raphael Assuncao by Submission

Lando Vannata by Decision

Curtis Millender by Decision

Dan Hooker by KO/TKO 

Jamie Moyle by Decision

• Paid Members

I'm not sure if I'm remembering correctly, but I think Ngannou is coming in for this fight 10 lbs lighter than against Stipe. That should benefit him. He doesn't need a super high level gas tank, just one that's better than Lewis, and he should win. I just don't think Lewis should be a 4.5/1 underdog. Really, no Heavyweight, of comparative skill level to his opponent, should be that much of an underdog. The Power that pretty much every HW has is an equaliser even if it doesn't look like they are better than their opponent in any category. I'm edging towards an Ngannou win early in the 2nd, but I still wouldn't be surprised to see Lewis try to get close and lean himself on Francis against the cage and attempt to utilise some wrestling in this one. He would be mad not to. I'm pumped for this one though, I have to admit. A perfect piece of matchmaking really.

DC Vs Cormier. . .what a fight this could be. This could be a fight of the year in the making of the stars align on the night. I really don't want to see either man lose. DC has got to make it a trench battle. Get in close and work like a man possessed. Win rounds by any means. If those goes to a decision I think DC is the winner. If it doesn't, then I imagine it'll have ended via an early KO for Stipe. 

Paulo Costa could wreck Urijah Hall in their fight. There is big potential there at MW for Costa, especially with a lot of the division, bar Whittaker and Gastelum, getting that bit older. It's a good fight for both to see where they are at. It's the step along for Costa, or if Hall beats Costa then he really is back on track if he can put an L in the column of that animal. 

Felder beats Perry almost everytime you run it, I feel. All he has to do is be smart. The old saying of 'everyone has a plan until you're punched in the mouth' most certainly applies in a fight against Mike Perry. However if Felder follows the game plan he no doubt will have, stick and move, cut angles on the feet, and grapple where you can, then he's better than Perry everywhere. The difference is Mike Perry has C4 in his right hand. Get hit with it at your peril. 

Well, Jesus fucking titty Christ.

Cormier by first round knockout. His little fatass damn near murdered Stipe.

And, then, BROCK FUCKING LESNAR!!!

USADA need to take a little fucking day off so we can see this next. Novitsky is a cunt. Everyone was like ‘woo, we got this happening in November’ and then he snakes in like ‘well actually he’s got 6 months testing to complete’.

Fuck off. USADA is the worst thing to happen to this sport in forever. Brock Lesnar going crazy made me realise how much better the world was when he was juiced up, running around with a Coors light and threatening to bang his wife.

I’m so pumped for Lesnar. Fucking brilliant.

Actually thought DC came across like a turd bragging about knocking out his training partners.

”Let me tell you something. I walked into this building and watched the heavyweight disasters from the beginning. Ngannou, the piece of shit. Miocic, the piece of shit. DC! I’M COMING FOR YOU MOTHERFUCKER!”

Oh, baby. I’m so there for this. UFC must be fucking hard as a rock that DC won. You’re not getting that final segment with Stipe. He wouldn’t get the pro-wrestling side of it at all. DC was having the time of his life.

Sucks to be Stipe, though. He’s complained for ages that he doesn’t get any respect, then within 5 minutes he’s out of the GOAT discussion and being mugged off by the WWE champion whilst everyone has a laugh.

Also, all those mid level fighters complaining about the confrontation on twitter; there’s a reason they’re going to have to find jobs after their career is over, isn’t there? It’s a fucking entertainment industry. And Brock brings the fucking party.

• Paid Members

After all the shit and the heart breaking losses to him, DC has managed to stick it to Jon Jones in the best way possible. 

Becomes Heavyweight champ decisively and is now on course for a bumper pay day fight with Brock Lesnar. That in cage stuff is certain to divide opinion but I fucking loved every second of it. 

All in. 

• Paid Members

Yeah, Jones will play it off like he doesn't care with little digs on twitter and stuff but deep down, he wanted that Brock payday. And he's even said in the past that if he ever went up to heavyweight it'd have to be "the right fight" and didn't sound keen at all on fighting Stipe. DC's gone up and took on the scariest heavyweight we've ever had and knocked him out in a round. DC's success, getting that Brock payday and making history like this is the best 'fuck you' to Jones imaginable, other than actually beating him. 

Look at this. What a 12 months. 

image.jpg

The negative response is fucking baffling.

The mainstream success of the UFC is pretty much solely responsible for the global popularity of not just MMA, but traditional martial arts forms like BJJ, Muay Thai etc. That success is itself based, in no small part, on narrative, drama and storyline.

If little Timmy Triangle and his mates from Bristol BJJ had their way, there’d be no UFC and probably no Bristol BJJ in the first place.

The ‘KEEP IT PURE’ brigade are way worst for the sport than the ‘JUST GIVE US BIG FIGHTS’ brigade, on balance. 

I do understand, to a point, that the sport has to stay credible: BUT THATS BROCK LESNAR AND DANIEL CORMIER. Of course that fight should be booked and be promoted using every trick in the book.

• Paid Members

Absolutely brilliant. Up there with Conor beating Aldo and Bisping beating Rockhold. I couldn't happier for Cormier.  Fuck anyone who's ever booed him. He's the nicest guy in the world and watching him achieve his dreams was so awesome. Then the Brock stuff was just the icing on the cake. Anyone complaining is a moron. This is the best thing that could happen to this stale, boring, stagnant company. I fucking love it.

EDIT: I've watched it back about ten times now. I love how happy Cormier is playing pro-wrestler with Brock. You can tell he's having the time of his life. Dana's shit-eating grin telling Brock to get out is hilarious too. Finally, it feels fun again. It's coming home.

Also, credit to them for having two belts this time. I was worried they'd fuck up the photo op again by only having one belt.

• Paid Members

Yeah, I think you need a balance. What you usually hear are the extreme sides of both arguments. The 'keep it pure' side can be fucking insufferable. It's prize fighting at the end of the day and there'll be times when you have to bypass the rankings and make the big fight. There's nothing wrong with that. On the other end of the scale you get the fans who are obsessed with buyrates and money talk and that's also mind numbing when it's ALL they ever bang on about. There's a healthy middle ground.

Like I said, in some cases you have to bite the bullet and make the big fight. And in this DC vs Brock example, it also actually makes sense timing wise. The way Stipe ran through all the top heavyweights over the last few years, there really isn't an obvious next challenger at the moment. They're all trying to rebound. I mean, there's Volkov and Blaydes but I don't know. I like them both but is anyone, even the fucking 'pure sports' mob, that is going to tell me with a straight face that they'd rather see DC vs Volkov or Blaydes over DC vs Brock? Brock doesn't deserve a title shot on merit. He just doesn't. But when a division is as thin on top contenders as heavyweight is right now, there's a window there to just throw in a mad fight like this. And DC vs Brock is a monster. Plus, you have to factor in that Cormier is planning to retire next year. He's realistically only got one or two fights left. Do people really want him to waste one of them on fucking Alexander Volkov or Curtis Blaydes? 

In years to come, nobody will be crying about that Cormier vs Volkov fight we never got to see. But if they've got the chance to make Cormier vs Lesnar and they pass it up, 1) they'd be fucking morons and 2) we'd always look back and wish it happened. Even the purists would, they'd just never admit it. 

It has to happen. I wish it could happen on the MSG card. Fuck USADA. 

image.jpg

• Paid Members

I love Cormier so much, but you know what'd be great? If they do the fight and somehow Brock wins. Just imagine the uproar from the Pure n' Simple Brigade if Brock Lesnar ends up as the UFC Heavyweight Champion again. I'd burst.

• Paid Members

No way. I like Brock but I can't pull for him knackering up Cormier's retirement tour. 

DC was saying a few weeks back that his plan was to beat Stipe, then fight Brock, then fight Jones again, then retire. 

I didn't think he'd get the Stipe bit done in all honesty. And I was sceptical that the DC vs Brock fight would come together. But here we are. Watch now, he'll batter Brock and then Jones will come back and break all our hearts again the horrible, horrible cunt. 

Just imagine though. Just imagine DC's plan actually comes to fruition and he beats Brock and then somehow finally beats Jones? Fuck me. I honestly think I'd put him as the GOAT if he did that. I'm saying it right now. I might have him edging GSP. And what a boss way to retire that would be. Double champ, avenges his only career blemishes against his arch nemesis, and leaves with all the gold, money, accolades and Popeyes chicken he can dream of. 

I enjoyed all of that. 

In the early stages, I got the feeling that D.C might have bitten off more than he could chew. But alas, he hadn't. With that victory he is easily in the top 10 fighters who have ever lived. A case could be made that he's in the top 5. 

D.C vs Lesnar? Sign me up. It's a fun fight and should be a great spectacle. 

I hate the fact that they’re talking about DC taking a light heavyweight title first.

Fucking USADA.

It should be Brock at MSG, Jones next in March (if he wins) and then a gentle ride off into the sunset.

Brock looked SO much bigger than DC.

I’m with Supes, if Brock wins I’ll burst. I like DC, but for me Brock coming back and promo’ing his way to a world title and a match with Jon Jones would be too good to turn down.

Brock managing to chuck the mic at the camera despite the fact that Rogan had a good grip on it made me die laughing. It will make a great visual on the promos, too.

Archived