UFC Fight Night: Thompson vs Till - May 27

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?   

14 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Paid Members

I can't be the only thinking that was a shocking decision? I had it scored 49-46 Wonderboy, I had Till winning round 5 but before that he wasn't landing a lot was he, a lot of forward pressure but it was Wonderboy landing anything of note, a head scratcher for me.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

It was proper tight, Egg. I was listening to the Fight Companion during it and they said it was something like 44 to 47 in the strikes landed going into the 5th. Although, aye, the score cards were a bit wank.

Absolute dross fight, though. Till deserves credit for being equal for most of it, which I wasn't expecting, both were very good slipping out of the way.

Shame Till didn't make weight because I don't know what you do with the rankings. He was probably relying on some mad Ngannou KO to cement a title shot.

Octagon control is still a thing right? If it is then i'm not sure landing a jab to the body then running away for 4 mins every round is a great idea. Especially away from home where the crowd are cheering their guys every punch thrown.

Wonderboy is basically 0-2 against the champ in most peoples eyes and is coming off two really bad fights to watch. Till may have missed weight but he just got alot closer to a title shot. 

• Paid Members

I had Wonderboy winning, just, but it was one of those fights where so little was happening in the way of actual shots connecting that one strike here or there could've swung a round one way or the other. The number of strikes landed seemed stupidly close, and the stats back that up. So while the 49-46 scorecard sounds a bit funny (it did to me too at first) I can see it. The only round I felt was anything resembling obvious to score would be the 5th due to Till scoring the knockdown. The rest, the first four rounds were each so close that I could reasonably see any scorecard ranging from 49-46 Wonderboy to 49-46 Till and anything in between. It really does depend what you like in a fight like this. I wouldn't have been outraged at any score.

And that's what made it so frustrating to watch. It was a fight which, no matter what they say after the fact, neither man could've been too confident they were winning going into the old 'championship rounds', yet they never really upped the tempo or fought with any urgency at all. If it wasn't for the fact it was in front of a rabid hometown crowd for Till, you put that fight in any other city in the world tonight it gets shat on. The Liverpool crowd at least saved it from that. I mean, I know Wonderboy is tricky and I get that you can't just rush in on either of these two, I wouldn't have expected that. I got what they were doing but it got to the point where they seemed more concerned with fist bumping and hugging than putting any kind of stamp on the fight. There were loads of times when Till would back Thompson onto the fence, presumably exactly where he wanted him, only to do nothing but stare at him. Then you had Wonderboy getting in good positions to attack yet opting to dance away, or he'd land a shot that would freeze Till up for a second but instead of following up he'd run away. All easy for me to say of course, I couldn't have done any of that shit. But I'm not one of the best fighters on the planet, these two both are. No big deal in the big picture, the fans went home happy and it was probably the best result for the division (providing Till sorts the weight cut out), but they both left it too close and squandered too many chances to have any real grounds to complain about the judging.

It was a four and a half round feeling out process, followed by a two minute actual fight. You basically give the judges a free pass to pretty much flip a coin when you fight like that.

Till made a right prat of himself in his post-fight interview, I thought. And we couldn't even hear half of it. If only he'd shown that much aggression in the fight.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Cousin Jim Bob said:

Octagon control is still a thing right? If it is then i'm not sure landing a jab to the body then running away for 4 mins every round is a great idea. Especially away from home where the crowd are cheering their guys every punch thrown.

Wonderboy is basically 0-2 against the champ in most peoples eyes and is coming off two really bad fights to watch. Till may have missed weight but he just got alot closer to a title shot. 

It is, but im not sure if what Till was doing counts as octagon control, it was more pressure than control. Wonderboy going backwards and skipping off to the side might appear negative but he's controlling the octagon as much as Till in that kind of situation. That said, i fully understand why the fighter moving forward gets credited more than than the counter striker. It's the main reason another counter striker like Jorge Masvidal often ends up on the bad end of decisions when he should pick up a W. My primary reason for Wonderboy winning was that outside of round 5 he seemed to be the only person landing anything decent, and there wasn't much. Anytime Till decided to actually throw he seemed to hitting air.

As for Till's reputation, i think he saved himself a little in the fifth round with the knockdown so he'll march on, he'll no doubt have better fights, this was just a stylistic clash that didn't quite catch fire. If the fight was anywhere other than Liverpool i think the boo birds would have been on both fighters cases though.

It was a weird fight. For 2 rounds it was edge of your seat stuff, rounds 3 & 4 became frustrating though because of the lack of activity, and the little bromance going on between the pair which is a fucking annoying trait that MMA fighters have picked up. Im all for a tap of gloves at the beginning and at the start of the 5th round, but the smiling and touching of gloves after a decent strike is just annoying. The post fight crew said it best when they said it felt like it resembled a sparring contest

I'm going to have to watch this one again at some point. I had Till winning rounds 2 and 5. The Sherdog play by play team all scored round 3 for Wonderboy, as did two of the three judges, but I had it very close. I scored round 4 for Wonderboy, despite all 3 judges scoring it for Till. I think round 1 was an even round. 

Horrible fight to make any sense out of. Put this one down to interpretation. 

Was in the Echo last night - the whole arena was convinced Till had won as soon as the final buzzer went.

Will rewatch on tv but at the time I was convinced it was 49-46 Till, giving Thompson the 3rd.  Could see an argument for 48-47 Till and giving Thompson the 4th too. 

Genuinely surprised to see how many of the media scored it for Thompson. Will have to watch on tv as I said, but have the commentators influenced viewers?

I think it's more likely the atmosphere influenced the live audience. You were surrounded by thousands of people cheering Till on, it's hardly surprising the consensus was he won emphatically.

I squeaked it for WB, but there was a fag papers difference between the two and could see any decision being justifiable as long as it was super close.

49-46 is bonkers, though.

Dana made me laugh with his wry smile and "what do I always say, you can't leave it to the judges man". He's been round the block.

What's a shame for Till is, all the key influencers in the sport (Rogan, Brett Okamoto, Ariel etc etc) seem to be coalescing around the idea that Wonderboy won and the judges cooked the books. That view will filter down to their listeners/fans and before long Till's win will mean literally nothing. Besides a few thousand scousers it'll soon be "fat fuck couldn't even make weight and still needed the judges to rip Wonderboy off."

He really needs to win his next fight impressively.

• Paid Members

not surprised by the arena thinking Till had won. The crowd were popping for everything Till was doing, even if it was missing, that sort of thing always sways an audience.

• Paid Members

if we are talking about bad decisions though... how about one judge scoring the Knight/Amirkhani fight 30-27 for Knight?!?!? thats up there with the worst cards ive ever read. Theres no justifying that.

• Paid Members
6 hours ago, jimufctna24 said:

I'm going to have to watch this one again at some point. I had Till winning rounds 2 and 5. The Sherdog play by play team all scored round 3 for Wonderboy, as did two of the three judges, but I had it very close. I scored round 4 for Wonderboy, despite all 3 judges scoring it for Till. I think round 1 was an even round. 

Horrible fight to make any sense out of. Put this one down to interpretation. 

See, I think I had Wonderboy taking round 1, Till edging 2, 3 for Wonderboy or even, 4 I can't even remember could've gone either way, and obviously Till got the 5th. At the end of the fight I felt like Wonderboy had squeaked it but looking back at how I had the rounds there, there was fuck all in it. The fact that so many people saw the same rounds differently is why I don't feel like the 49-46 card was as bad as it seemed at first. When you look at the fight as a whole you understanably think it was too close for a 49-46 score. But when you look at each round individually, which is how the judges have to score it, a lot of those rounds could've gone either way. If you're a judge and you've just barely scored the first three rounds to Till but you know they were all razor close, you can't go back and change a round to Wonderboy just because it's going to look too lopsided. I don't know if it's still the case but I'm sure the way it worked in the past was that the judges would score a round and have to hand in their scorecards after each individual round, then the total would be tallied up to make a decision. So even if a judge wanted to, they can't change how they scored a round. Each round is scored as if it's its own mini fight. If you look at a fight like Till vs Wonderboy, who the fuck won those 5 mini fights? Till won the 5th but the rest? Not one of them was clear cut. I'm cutting the judges a lot of slack on this one. I could easily see how a judge could've sat there after any of the first four rounds and scored any of them to either man. When all the rounds are close to 50/50 and could go either way like that, and you can see why the first four rounds could be scored either way, any scoreline from 2-2 to 4-0 going into the 5th can be justified. 

If I was in Team Till today I'd be pushing for a quick turnaround and asking for Santiago Ponzinibbio or even Robbie Lawler on one of the summer PPVs. They might seem a notch below a win over Wonderboy but, like Daz says, after a fight like this Till needs to get back in there and look good. Wash away any negatives from this. Ponzinibbio or Lawler would be good style matchups for him and almost guaranteed to be exciting because of their aggression. Plus a quick turnaround should make it easier to stay on track with his weight because he wouldn't have that off time to get too big. Last thing Till needs now is another layoff.

Great night of fights, really enjoyed the Arnold Allen fight, great comeback had him 2 rounds down coming into the 3rd, also a great first round finish from Darren Stewart. Unlucky for Craig white, a huge step up to fight someone like Neil Magny. The main event I thought was extremely close,could of gone either way. Impressive performance by both wonderboy and till. All in all was a great night of fights I enjoyed the f out of it 

Archived