UFC Fight Night: Thompson vs Till - May 27

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?   

14 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Paid Members

Your thinking seems to be how most people saw the fight. But when you say 'the only clear round was the 5th' how do you then say '49-46 was criminal'?  Makes no sense to me. If you admit that the first four rounds could've gone to either Wonderboy or Till, then 49-46 is a justified score either way. It's only in hindsight and knowing how close the fight was that the 49-46 seems wide. The judges don't have the luxury of hindsight. Watching it live, as each of the first 4 rounds ended, I wasn't confident either way who'd won those rounds. Each round I had my opinion like anyone else but there wasn't one round out of the first four where I couldn't see the argument for the other guy winning. 

And when people say a fight should've been a split decision it baffles me. What that actually equates to is if you said 'one judge should've disagreed with the other two'. That's all a split decision is. It doesn't always mean a fight was close. One really shit judge could've scored GSP vs Nick Diaz for Diaz by the narrowest of margins and that fight would've gone down as a split, despite it being a 25 minute spanking. And there have been loads of razor close fights over the years that could've easily gone the other way on the cards, or been scored a draw. Jones vs Gustafsson and Henderson vs Shogun 1 being two examples. Both mega close but both were unanimous decisions.  

Not having a pop at you mate, but there's been all kinds of goofy talk and overreaction to this fight. There's a difference between a decision like this in a fight where the rounds are all hanging in the balance and one strike can swing it, and say CJ Ross scoring Mayweather vs Canelo a draw in a fight Mayweather dominated. THAT was a terrible scorecard. There's been plenty of cases of actual legitimate judging incompetence in both MMA and Boxing iover the years, last night wasn't one of them. This was just a close fight that really could've gone either way. Nothing more, nothing less.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One of the worst fights to score was D.C vs Gusty. I had that fight either 50-45 or 49-46 to D.C. Yet, it could have easily been scored 48-47 to Gusty. 

That's an issue I have with the 10 point must system. It sometimes doesn't accurately represent how close an MMA fight can be. Personally, I preferred the system Pride used to use to score fights. The only downside to that system was that the judges didn't have to show their working out. All they had to do was write down who won the fight. It was therefore a bit too easy for the judges to fix a fight. 

• Paid Members

it definitely brings up the whole scoring in MMA debate.

Like wand. says a 49-46 score for Till makes it sound like a comfortable victory but it far from tells the story of the fight. 

• Paid Members

I thought Till came across like a Superstar during his walkout. I'm from the side of the fence that the post fight promo was a benefit, rather than a negative, despite the amount of profanity and censorship many would have had on their TV's. 

However, if you had told me a week ago that Darren Till beating Wonderboy wouldn't have really advanced his position, I'd have said you're mental, but that's kind of the way things are at the minute. Till and Wonderboy both need quick turnarounds after this, I feel. It's true that if that fight was anywhere else in the world it would have gotten a terrible reception, but it wasn't, it was in Liverpool and it felt like a damn big deal on the night. It's probably done ok in the ratings as well, with there being a bit of a swell of interest behind the fight this week.

Both could do with fighting in August or the beginning of September. Till could face Usman, Masvidal, or Ponzinibhio as well as the loser of RDA Vs Covington. Likewise Wonderboy Vs Ponzinibhio, Lawler, Maia, Magny or again the loser of the interim title fight, all make some sense. Till Vs Usman means one of them gets pushed into title contention. Wonderboy needs a fight with somebody that's not going to result in a staring contest. 

37 minutes ago, D@mm said:

Why don't the UFC just book Thompson Vs Till again in Thompson's home town as it was so close.

Thompson is from Simpsonville, South Carolina, population 18,238. Does that answer your question, or do you need it spelling out in crayon?

• Paid Members

Look at the state of this.

He went blind and they still carried on. Fucking HELL. Someone is going to die doing this. I have no idea what needs to be done, but something needs to change drastically.

The most telling part of all is that they even decided to released this footage. They'll think this helps validate Darren failing to make weight, and perhaps work as some type of apology to Wonderboy, but to anyone not inside the MMA bubble this just looks like the stupidest, most dangerous thing in the world.  That they can't even grasp that speaks volumes.

EDIT: They deleted the original video, I've had to link a mirror. So someone has obviously now realised how bad this looks.

There was a video about scrapping 170 and having 165 & 175 but guys are still going to cut ridiculous amounts of weight and Till is one of the worst, he wants that extra size advantage, he talks about being bigger and cutting down from 210lbs. It's nothing new either Anthony Johnson is massive and sometimes made 170, he then eventually settled at 205 and of the active fighters only really Cormier would be ahead of him.

They could do what One FC did and bump everyone up a weight class and do hydration tests and someone said USADA could weigh the fighters while drug testing but that's not their job, some main events in Boxing have weigh ins weeks before leading up to a fight and you have to be a certain weight but that would just be more weight cutting.

Whatever happens your going to see more cancelled fights at the last minute if they do more because fighters have got into a habit of extreme cutting for over a decade.

• Paid Members

I caught a snippet of Till on the MMA Hour and whilst he is pretty adamant in taking full responsibility for the botched cut, I hated to hear him complain about how hard the actual cut is. I mean, he's basically moaning that the massively unfair advantage he is trying to capitalise on is a hard thing to do. 

For fucks sake, fight at something closer to your natural weight. 

Archived