The Merry Christmas (and what are you doing and what did you get) Thread

SpursRiot2012

• Paid Members

I used to always start a Christmas thread here. But this year, I really haven't got into Christmas at all. Comes with being housebound over the period. 

What are you all doing for Christmas? Me and my partner are getting a lift to Guildford tomorrow for lunch with her family and then spending the afternoon in a care home, where her grandmother lives. Then back to London for an evening alone, watching It's A Wonderful Life. Actually, we might watch that tonight and watch something else tomorrow. 

This is also the place you can brag about all the cool toys you got and the things you bought for your friends or family. 

I don't know what I'm getting, although I have a suspicion that one item will be the Spurs 3rd shirt. For her, I've bought her some fucking crazy expensive designer lingerie from a friend who is a designer who designs ethical lingerie. This is at her request. I'm not just a perv. 

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's mine and the wife's first year celebrating Christmas as a married couple so we're just spending it the two of us then seeing her parents on Boxing day and mine on the 27th.

Watching Jingle All the Way and It's a Wonderful Life tonight.

We'll wake up tomorrow and take the dog out then have some bacon rolls and crack open a bottle of Bollinger that we got as a wedding gift. Have Christmas dinner about 3 (cooked the turkey already so all organised for that) then watch some Christmas films and drink for the rest of the day.

Have absolutely no idea what she's got me at all (I've asked for various toys and comics but probably won't get these). I've got her a few different things but we only spend about a hundred pounds on each other. Also got stockings to open in the morning. Our tradition for stockings (now in its fourth year) is to go to the pound shop with a tenner and buy the other person ten random things.

• Paid Members

It's the first time in 7 years me and the Misses are just doing Christmas alone at ours. Will be popping out for a pint with her Dad around 11am and then she and I are going home to cook, relax and pig out. I'm really looking forward to it as we're usually around her Mothers all day.

Merry Christmas you utter bastards. I Love ya. 

• Paid Members

Got the in-laws and my daughter here tonight, and dropping her back at her mother's later. 

The in-laws are here until Boxing Day, and then my daughter comes back here until New Year.

My Dad visited last night, and we're all off to my Sister's on the 30th (which is her birthday). 

No idea what presents I'm likely to be getting, but I suspect it will go way beyond the "let's not get each other anything this year" agreement that we originally had (funds are somewhat tight at the moment).

TV's been pretty crap so far. My traditional Xmas viewing requirements must include a Bond, a Star Wars (The Last Jedi will satisfy this), a live action Disney movie, a Hollywood musical and a Carry On.

So far there's been Carry On Matron, and that's it.

• Paid Members

Had our traditional Xmas Eve meal with our closest friends (including Burchills Buddy of 'I sell Yorkie terrier meat to Park Ji Sung' fame) a day early yesterday, as we're staying at the in-laws tonight UP NARTH (well, Lincolnshire). Had a lovely evening as usual and I cooked up some mulled cider when we all ended up back at ours.

Watching Muppets Christmas Carol as we speak and will be putting the kids to bed shortly, I'll read The Night Before Christmas to them after they put shit out for Faster Christmas and his hooved pals. We'll all open our stockings when we wake up first thing.

I'm hoping for one of those mini SNES things but I'm probably most hyped about playing my son's Lego Marvel Superheroes 2 (keep schtum, @johnnyboy!) with him after he opens it.

Have a good one everyone!

• Paid Members

I've really been pushing my girlfriend to change it up and make our tradition that we do Christmas gift opening on Christmas Eve. I don't know why, but it just strikes me as nicer than waking up at stupid o clock in the morning and there's something romantic, I think, about opening gifts on a cold, starry, Christmas Eve night. 

Am I right in thinking in the US they usually do gifts on Christmas Eve?

We've just had our traditional McDonalds Christmas Eve tea and annual watching of Arthur Christmas.

Tomorrow will be going round to the sister-in-law in the morning because it's her little boy's first proper Christmas (he was only 3 months old last time), some presents there. Then round to my mum & dad's for Christmas dinner and presents from them up until about 6:00 then it'll just be me and the wide back to ours to do our presents to eachother and then curl up and watch another Christmas film. We take turns each year and it's hers this year so it will probably end up being Elf when it should be National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation 

• Paid Members

Christmas at the mother-in-law's. We lost the wife's father in 2016 and she seemed fine but had started getting really lonely lately so I insisted we decamp here, even if I do get to sleep on the floor. The child is in bed, the presents are under the tree, Andy house is quiet. I'm reading about Atlanta hip-hop in The New Yorker.

It's a welcome bubble of calm in a horrible week where I've had to keep everything internalised and my stomach hurts. Christmas is nice. Merry Christmas, everyone.

• Moderators

Due to weird circumstances, Christmas dinner for me will comprise of whatever I usually grab at lunchtime, say, a pastie or something. I'm off to hang with extended family in the evening, but otherwise it's PUBG and Netflix for one. But unless you're a child or have children, Christmas isn't really a thing, is it? I've spent about half a dozen on my own and not yet crumbled into ash.

• Paid Members
3 minutes ago, Astro Hollywood said:

Due to weird circumstances, Christmas dinner for me will comprise of whatever I usually grab at lunchtime, say, a pastie or something. I'm off to hang with extended family in the evening, but otherwise it's PUBG and Netflix for one. But unless you're a child or have children, Christmas isn't really a thing, is it? I've spent about half a dozen on my own and not yet crumbled into ash.

When I left the point when Christmas was about all the gifts I was getting - so, around 15 years old - until the point where I met my current partner, Christmas was really just about getting really wasted and making a fool of myself. I remember spending one Christmas Day alone in a shared house (the one I shared with a bunch of Somalian dudes, I think I've mentioned this) with two black eyes, eating leftover Indian food, after having got into a vicious fight to the death (or just a drunken punch up) with a guy the night before.

So, yeah, I think generally you're right. But I do think you don't have to have kids to appreciate Christmas. I definitely prefer Christmas as I've experienced it with my partner, as opposed to Christmas as I experienced it as described above.

• Paid Members

I've lived in the US almost a decade not not noticed the Christmas Eve gift opening thing yet.

I'll be having a fairly quiet Christmas and unfortunately will not be seeing any of my side of the family since they all live in the UK.  I've been back for Christmas a few times over the years but the cost goes up and up every year as far as flights go.  We're heading back at the end of May, I think we saved around $900 by NOT going at Christmas.

We have prime rib with all of the trimmings, no turkey since we just had that for Thanksgiving.  I generally invite anyone for dinner that doesn't have anywhere else to go so we usually end up with a couple of strays :)

Hope you all have a great Christmas. 

Me and the missus have just come back from the in laws after a fish and chips takeaway, we’re off to my mum and dads tomorrow for Christmas Dinner and presents. 

I haven’t been bothered with presents since I was about 18, Just turned 31 so anything Walking Dead related would be lovely but I’m expecting loads off Lynx box sets.

• Paid Members

Had Christmas Dinner, which was the best one I’ve done for years, just finished watching Elf as usual, and have now put Scrooged on.  Will be doing the usual prezzie opening in the morning, over to see my side, then at the in-laws for the evening.  Will be a lot quieter at The In-laws as my nephew is serving in Kenya until January, and my niece bought a house of her own and is having a quiet Christmas with her other half, so will miss them, but they are happy, that’s the main thing.

Whatever anyone is doing, or how they are spending it either by choice or circumstance, have the best time you can, and if alls not good, don’t forget the Samaritans are there for you.  You may get my wife’s cousin who always volunteers with them at this time of year, being the cracking bastard he is.  Dial 116 123, and they will help you through it.

Archived