Minor News & Random Shit

Egg Shen

• Paid Members
33 minutes ago, Dead Mike said:

There's a new series added to Netflix which I noticed last night..'Bare Knuckle Fight Club'. Apparently a docuseries following fighters/promoters in the UK bare knuckle scene. I haven't watched any yet but my wife is out on Saturday night so if it's not completely shit I'll likely plough through it then.

There was a documentary on Channel 4 a few months ago under the same name that was really good, so maybe it's a spin off of that. 

The characters involved were mostly dodgy like the Scouse debt collector/bare knuckle fight promoter Shaun Smith. It was mostly about his shady past and trying to make bare knuckle a bigger attraction in the UK. But it also delved into his personal life with his girlfriend and kids. Interesting stuff. There was an Irish fighter on there called James McCrory, who looked like a young Ricky Tomlinson as well. I remember liking him but he seemed nuts. And there was a story about a young lad getting into bare knuckle who was going to fight his mum's boyfriend on one of Smith's promoted shows. 

It'll be well worth a watch if it's along the same lines as the one I watched. I'll have to give it a look myself. It's ugly and dangerous but organised bare knuckle fighting is something that always fascinates me for some reason. 

Edit - found the doc I was on about on YouTube but Channel 4's blocked it the cunts. 

Edited by wandshogun09

• Paid Members
1 minute ago, wandshogun09 said:

There was a documentary on Channel 4 a few months ago under the same name that was really good, so maybe it's a spin off of that. 

The characters involved were mostly dodgy like the Scouse debt collector/bare knuckle fight promoter Shaun Smith. It was mostly about his shady past and trying to make bare knuckle a bigger attraction in the UK. But it also delved into his personal life with his girlfriend and kids. Interesting stuff. There was an Irish fighter on there called James McCrory, who looked like a young Ricky Tomlinson as well. I remember liking him but he seemed nuts. And there was a story about a young lad getting into bare knuckle who was going to fight his mum's boyfriend on one of Smith's promoted shows. 

It'll be well worth a watch if it's along the same lines as the one I watched. I'll have to give it a look myself. It's ugly and dangerous but bare knuckle fighting is something that always fascinates me for some reason. 

The bloke on the icon for the series on the Netflix browser looks like Paul Hollywood. I've seen a couple of things in the past, a good Vice documentary & I'll deffo check out the C4 programme. I've also always had a morbid curiosity with this, the fights are almost always shit & since MMA went mainstream you'd think there'd be no appetite for this kind of stuff but stock any documentary with 'Bare Knuckle' or 'Gypsy Fights' in the description & I'm all in.

• Paid Members

Ha, I think the Paul Hollywood bloke is Shaun Smith! 

I think I saw the Vice doc you mentioned. It covers some of the same people as the Channel 4 one. Think James 'Jim Royle' McCrory is on both anyway. 

The 'Knuckle' documentary covering the Joyce vs Quinn-McDonagh blood feud is what originally sucked me down into the bare knuckle rabbit hole. Between the backstories to all the family feuds and the hilarious callout videos, I just can't look away from it. 

"Ya have a head that size. And it's all swelled and innocent. Ya dirty good for nuttin' bastard, ya!"

Edited by wandshogun09

• Paid Members
4 minutes ago, Egg Shen said:

you aint the only one wand, its a fascinating world.

Whatever happened to Dawg Fight 2?

I'd hazard a guess that after the Kimbo/Dada 'fight' happened a lot of the intrigue went away?

Has anyone ever been to one of the 'bare knuckle' type events we've been seeing old MMA/UFC fighters turn up to? There was one scheduled near me but it got pulled due to licencing issues. I went to some proper sketchy UK MMA events back in the day (more fights in the crowd than in the cage) & I'd be up for attending one of these.

• Paid Members

BKB are running every month or so and bring in the ex-UFC guys. They run some pretty big venues too (The Echo in Liverpool/Indigo at the o2), it looks like a pretty professional operation in terms of logistics, on film/promotion wise though it looks horribly dated, if they have any hope of getting on TV or widening an audience they need to overhaul that side of their game.

I think Dawg Fight 2 was still going ahead after the Kimbo/Dada thing, id love to see a sequel and have it touch on that fight, im fairly sure the Dawg Fight crew were following Dada around going into it.

Eddie Bravo was on Joe Rogans podcast, they spoke alot of stuff MMA, conspiracies, stoner talk & a video of Duke Rufus getting leg kicked to hell in a Kickboxing, Thai fight, by a Muai Thai guy, basically the UFC 1 for American Kickboxing fans, similar to the original Kickboxer film, as Americans didn't think leg kicks worked back then etc but they did talk about a new Combat Sport Jui Jitsu with open hand strikes Eddie's launching, meaning you can palm strike your opponent while rolling, certain top BJJ studs find it difficult to transfer their stuff to MMA, vecause some submissions you don't have to worry about strikes, like locks, this could address that balance, especially for new guys

• Paid Members

Anyone hyped for Sakuraba and Barnett's new Quintet show (aka submission survival series).

It's teams of five, each with a total weight limit, and they pick a running order. Number 1 from each team faces off in a submission match with an 8 minute time limit. Winner stays on and then number 2 from the other team fights them and so on. If it hits the time limit, both guys are out. If it comes down to one on each side and they hit the time limit, each side picks one guy for a match to a finish.

Because the weight limit means most teams will go for one bigger guy and four smaller guys, any match with more than a 25 pound weight difference only has a four minute limit. There's also a few banned moves like closed guard (to speed up fights) and heel hooks (to avoid serious injury.)

The initial show is four teams, so two semis and the the final. Whatever your running order is in the semi, it's reversed in the final.

Airs Wednesday morning our time on Fight Pass.

• Paid Members

yeh i was gonna post about that. Ive never fully got into BJJ as a spectator, plenty of promotions are trying to put their own spin on it to make it exciting but this one looks to be the most interesting for me. Its basically The Survivor Series in BJJ form. Lots of MMA notables involved too.

• Paid Members

Is it all necessarily BJJ though? I'd have thought that, with it being Sakuraba's and Barnett's event, there'd be a fair few catch wrestlers in there too.

• Paid Members
5 minutes ago, IANdrewDiceClay said:

I'm well out of the loop with everything both wrestling and MMA related, but is it true CM Punk's going to be fighting some sheet writer with record as shit as his at a UFC show in the future?

Yep, completely correct. He's fighting Mike Jackson, who originally fought Mickey Gall for the opportunity to face Punk on PPV. Gall beat Jackson, then beat Punk easily.

2 hours ago, IANdrewDiceClay said:

I'm well out of the loop with everything both wrestling and MMA related, but is it true CM Punk's going to be fighting some sheet writer with record as shit as his at a UFC show in the future?

Jackson is really the level of guy Punk should have fought originally. 

• Paid Members
17 hours ago, Carbomb said:

Is it all necessarily BJJ though? I'd have thought that, with it being Sakuraba's and Barnett's event, there'd be a fair few catch wrestlers in there too.

well no, but the event is being fought under BJJ rules (albeit modified to suit the event).

• Paid Members
7 hours ago, Egg Shen said:

well no, but the event is being fought under BJJ rules (albeit modified to suit the event).

Ah, I see. Thanks for that. That's probably sensible, although I wonder whether it affords advantage to the pure BJJ guys. I'm hoping the modifications help even that out for the other styles.