General Adnan's Football 17/18

PowerButchi

• Paid Members

I'm glad we've got an interesting group for a change. After a year off, I've been craving a big European game (that isn't PSG), Atleti will do, the Conte/Simeone touchline war should be ace. Roma a good name from pot 3 too. Plus I get to find out where Qarrierbag is, beats the usual Porto/Schalke/Basel grind.

Rest In Piece, Tottenham.

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

I despair at Celtic fans sometimes. I lurk on a supporters forum and half of the posters are in agreement that 8-10 points is doable, there's optimism then there's delusion.  I'm happy enough  with the draw, couple of glamour games and the slimmest of chances we might sneak third.

Who watches the Belgian league? (Looking at you D-Mal) Are Anderlecht a good side? Any chance we could get something from them.

• Paid Members
13 minutes ago, stumobir said:

I despair at Celtic fans sometimes. I lurk on a supporters forum and half of the posters are in agreement that 8-10 points is doable, there's optimism then there's delusion.  I'm happy enough  with the draw, couple of glamour games and the slimmest of chances we might sneak third.

Who watches the Belgian league? (Looking at you D-Mal) Are Anderlecht a good side? Any chance we could get something from them.

Well they're not that great but I'll be extremely surprised if Celtic get more than a backs-to-the-wall goalless draw at their gaff. Should beat them at home though.

1 hour ago, stumobir said:

8-10 Celtic would have to be lucky (and rely on Bayern and PSG getting more than 10 injuries) and would love to see that. What I see it as is a chance for some players to sign and for Celtic to sell at the end of the season. Last season 4 teams that came 3rd got 3-5 points, generally when 2 top quality teams were in there so you could scrape 3rd with 3 draws if the team below lost their other 4 games. I think 3rd is a possibility. Club Brugge got 0 points last season. 

• Paid Members
5 hours ago, Shy Dad said:

Does anyone know for example why Real Madrid couldn't be drawn in Group D for the Champions League draw? 

Having watched the draw, Celtic are going to have a chance at finishing 3rd, but unless Neymar can't turn up on a cold night in Glasgow, they haven't a hope of first or second.

I missed the draw -- and I love needlessly complicated draws -- so am totally guessing but was it possibly a fiddle to avoid the having two teams from the same city playing at home on the same night?

Not to get carried away but a mate of mine follows Dutch and Belgian football and reckons that Rosenborg are a much better side than Anderlecht. They've only won 1 from 4 domestically so far and the win was 1 nil against the bottom side who've lost every game.

I think 3rd place is absolutely doable but even if we were to sneak a victory at home against Bayern or PSG, 2nd would likely still be out of reach because we could easily get cuffed 6 nil away in any of the 3 games.

25 minutes ago, MungoChutney said:

Not to get carried away but a mate of mine follows Dutch and Belgian football and reckons that Rosenborg are a much better side than Anderlecht. They've only won 1 from 4 domestically so far and the win was 1 nil against the bottom side who've lost every game.

I think 3rd place is absolutely doable but even if we were to sneak a victory at home against Bayern or PSG, 2nd would likely still be out of reach because we could easily get cuffed 6 nil away in any of the 3 games.

6 goal loss will happen if Celtic don't get another center back in. 

With regards to Rosenborg who knocked out Ajax I don't think people will give credit for putting them out as people see scandanavian clubs as piss 

8 hours ago, JNLister said:

I missed the draw -- and I love needlessly complicated draws -- so am totally guessing but was it possibly a fiddle to avoid the having two teams from the same city playing at home on the same night?

I wasn't able to watch it live this year either, but if Pot 1 was drawn first (as it usually is), then I can't see how all groups wouldn't have been open to Real Madrid at that point?

23 minutes ago, westlondonmist said:

Ollie Burke to West Brom for £15 million. Must say when I have seen him play for Scotland he has never come across as that good.

Seen him play for Forest a few times before his move. He impressed me a lot. Very direct and not afraid to run at a defender. He's a good buy for West Brom. And in the climate of the transfer market 15 million is an alright price. 

I think to be fair he was thrown straight into the Scotland team a bit early. He's only 19, isn't he? Strachan seemed a bit desperate to present him as the Scottish Gareth Bale straight away when he'd never even played an Under 21 game. I think he's got a lot of potential and could turn out to be a really good player. Bit gutted as a Scot that he's coming back to England so quickly - looking at players like Paul Lambert and John Collins, playing on the continent really improved them and I think far too few British players are willing to go abroad.

Archived