The perfect wrestling match

Maikeru

http://njpwworld.com/p/s_series_00049_2_2 

Subscription only; if by any remote chance you've never seen any works of art from this legendary feud then sign up for the free trial. Incidentally Meltzer's first ever 5 star match.

It must be virtually impossible to make a match with this number of high spots look so believable - but somehow these guys pull it off with a impeccable combination of athleticism, speed, perfect execution, selling and intensity. They seem almost super human - you blink for half a second you've missed a whole sequence; the timing off the charts, you can taste each man's burning desire for victory, the execution is like something out of a video game where the moves have been pre-programmed to absolute perfection and somebody's just tapping buttons to perform them in ultra speed mode.  

In my view Ospreay's the best in the world right now and Ricochet not far behind; I loved their performance at BOSJ that jealous types dismissed as an acrobatics show. However, Cornette and the like did have a point about it taking more to make the perfect wrestling match. These men knew that in 1983. They nailed every single aspect of what it takes with 10/10 results all round . Nobody since has been a 10/10 in every single one of the areas mentioned above (no not even Okada/Omega and their six stars!). 

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

In general any match ending in a double countout, or a DQ or sone other non-finish can't be 5* for me. Even if there's a reason for it, feels like a waste of my time.

• Awards Moderator

I must be one of those "jealous types" mentioned in the first post because I saw an Ospreay-Ricochet match around this time last year and I'd put it amongst the worst matches I've ever seen. The opposite of everything a perfect match should be - no drama, no suspension of disbelief, no investment in wanting either person to win or lose, no pacing to allow moments of reflection on what just happened, no sense of seeing something beyond anything done before... no thank you.

• Paid Members

This, for me, is the perfect match.

I remember when I saw it on Mania back in 1993 and jumping out of my seat when it happened. WWE has tried over and over again to replicate everything about this match, including shortly after when Barry Horowitz beat Skip. The difference is that nobody gave a shit about Skip and everyone cared about Razor Ramon.

From the introductions before the match, the match itself, the commentary, the aftermath, the crowd, absolutely everything about this match makes it. For a start, the commentators don't sell that anything is going to happen AT ALL. There are no hints beforehand. They take the piss out of The Kid and referenced him like just another jobber. There had been no hints the weeks beforehand when he was being jobbed out that he would do this.

The commentators are brilliant after the match. They react perfectly, like they genuinely didn't realise it was going to happen. All three of them are magic, they sold it perfectly.

The crowd reactions as well were amazing. People talk about when The Undertaker lost the Streak, and that was an amazing moment. But this wasn't far off. It helped that the crowd LOVED Razor. He was one of the very first heels who got a babyface reaction in WWE. So they could not have timed it better. Their response afterwards added so much to it and shows just how well scripted it was.

Plus it helps that you have two wrestlers who could tell a simple story like this without giving anything away and hitting all the spots they needed. It's a standard Razor squash until the ending. It was just all so unlikely as well, it came out of nowhere, and the fact that it happened to such a massive profile star in the company made it matter all the more.

I've watched it about 100 times and it's brilliant every single time. The only match I would personally put close to it would be Raven v Goldberg for the US Title, I adore that match as well.

THAT is wrestling. Not some ludicrous spot fest.

3 hours ago, HarmonicGenerator said:

I must be one of those "jealous types" mentioned in the first post because I saw an Ospreay-Ricochet match around this time last year and I'd put it amongst the worst matches I've ever seen. The opposite of everything a perfect match should be - no drama, no suspension of disbelief, no investment in wanting either person to win or lose, no pacing to allow moments of reflection on what just happened, no sense of seeing something beyond anything done before... no thank you.

Couldn't agree more. Wrestling at its worst (well, apart from the really bad stuff that goes on out the ring). Wrestlers should have you hanging on their every move. I mentioned an analogy recently saying the best matches are like great movies or novels. You should be there with them every step of the way. If Bret - Shawn or Bret - Austin were War and Peace or To Kill a Mockingbird then Ospreay - Ricochet was an issue of Nuts magazine.

90% of Miz's matches over the past five years have been better than that Ospreay-Ricochet fiasco. It might've worked in a heavily-edited Lucha Underground show but that's a different story.

Ospreay vs. Kushida was great. I don't know anything about Kushida, but I'm guessing he was the one who guided Ospreay on the match as when he's had matches with a Ricochet or Marty Scurll substance is thrown out of the window.

When Ospreay does those stand-off spots at the start of matches I'm like CMON! As I'm normally a fan of him and his style.

His defenders usually say it's the evolution of pro wrestling and that can get people uppity, as though their favoured style of pro wrestling is just gonna cease to exist. 

But for me it Is a big melting pot, I'll take my spectacular super athletes like Will even if they need to become better match workers in general, I'll take my massive scary hosses squashing the shit out of lads, I'll especially take the microphone masters and the charisma gods even if they work like Enzo, I'll take somebody who's funny as fuck and doesn't mind getting goofy and looking like a twat to entertain people I'll take gritty mat technicians you can really believe in who have their craft down to a tee and I'll certainly take those like Reigns and Cena who just ooze star power above all/most of their peers. 

To me part of the joy of being a wrestling fan is that all this stuff makes up the typical modern show, I don't dislike any of these things intrinsically and it helps me to ever stop getting bored of the stuff.

We saw Dave Meltzer award Okada v Omega 6 stars. Whilst he's given that rating on a couple of occasions before this. Don't you not think giving it that one makes a parody of the whole thing? Don't get me wrong, it is an immense match and you do have to wonder how they managed to even walk out of there. Especially with the stuff they did in that. May very well have to watch it again soon. They kept quite a pace going for 45 minutes.

Archived