UFC 209: Woodley vs Wonderboy 2

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?   

18 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Paid Members

Hype-wise, for me, Khabib and Ferguson have both carried this card. I bring it up because Woodley was on the MMA Hour bitching about their bitching, but they've both done a superior job creating some hype. I can understand, for Woodley, it's almost impossible to talk smack about someone as likeable as Wonderboy, but he's done nearly nothing of note to help build the card, other than call folk racist.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

I agree with you both. Personality wise both Thompson and Woodley are just vanilla, so it's hard to get really hyped to see them.

That said, if you watch the countdown segment, as always, it does get you pumped up for it. I can't wait for this fight card and it's going to be a great weekend of sport. 

• Paid Members

I quite enjoyed Super Sage's little cameo in the Countdown. They showed a clip where Woodley was cooking some chicken (racist? See I'm looking for it now), and Sage is all like 'you're gonna season both sides? Gee whizz!' He must've lived a sheltered life, he seems amazed by everything.

I think I went for Woodley in my accumulator for this one.

Woodley because he's got a clear path to victory. He was really hurting Wonderboy from the top position in the first round, and I've got no fucking clue why he didn't go back to it to grind out a victory. He's also stupidly powerful, as demonstrated within the first fight, and inflicted a lot more damage than Thompson did. I think Wonderboy will do exceedingly well to finish Woodley - his kicks, dangerous as they are leave him seriously vulnerable to being taken down which is the last possible thing he wants, and I can't see him picking Woodley apart for 25 minutes without getting rocked at least once. As successful a striker Wonderboy is, he's going to have his work cut out to keep Tyron at distance for all that time, and if Woodley can get into the pocket by avoiding Thompson's strikes, he's either going to smash him in the chin, hold him against the fence or just take him down at will. There's a fair few more avenues which would allow Woodley to win this one.

Echo the love for Sage as well. I don't think there's a bad bone in his body, bless him. Seeing him featured in Embedded and Thrill and the Agony videos showcase what a hilarious creature he is. He's like Perfect Peter.

PPV MAIN CARD

Tyron Woodley vs Stephen Thompson - Welterweight Title

Khabib Nurmagomedov vs Tony Ferguson - Interim Lightweight Title

Rashad Evans vs Dan Kelly

Lando Vannata vs David Teymur

Alistair Overeem vs Mark Hunt

That is a beast of a main card. It has a bit of everything. 

• Paid Members

Indeed. If it had a genuinely massive fight / grudge match on it, there would be more "Best card ever?" talk. It's in the running, for me. Hopefully it delivers.

Outside of maybe a McGregor/GSP match, I don't think I can be more excited for a fight than Khabib/Ferguson. Two of the hardest men ever are about to go to war!

UFC lightweight Khabib Nurmagomedov was transported to Sunrise Hospital & Medical Center Thursday evening due to weight management medical issues.

He was treated and has been discharged, UFC officials confirmed.

The scheduled interim lightweight championship bout between Nurmagomedov and Tony Ferguson at UFC 209 has been cancelled on the doctor’s recommendation.

UFC 209 emanates from T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas, NV. Saturday night live on Pay-Per-View at 10pm/7pm ETPT. Tyron Woodley takes on Stephen Thompson with his welterweight championship on the line in a rematch from their 2016 Fight of the Year contender at UFC 205.

Archived