UFC 209: Woodley vs Wonderboy 2

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?   

18 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

I completely forgot about him missing weight before.

Fuck sake. McGregor vs Khabib might just be the most interesting fight in MMA at the moment for me. The way their styles are so different, the way their biggest strengths are the others' weakest area etc. I actually think that right now they're each the only man who can beat the other at 155. A genuine case of the best vs the best. Plus the contrast of their personalities would've made for a fun build up. It'll be shit if this ballses it all up over Khabib eating too much tiramisu.

Accumulator is set:

Woodley, Groovy Lando, Rashad, Overeem, Godbeer, Bektic and Alcantara.

Still beyond gutted that we aren't getting Khabib/Ferguson. Hopefully they manage to get it rearranged sharpish.

• Paid Members

Accumulator is set:

Woodley, Groovy Lando, Rashad, Overeem, Godbeer, Bektic and Alcantara.

Still beyond gutted that we aren't getting Khabib/Ferguson. Hopefully they manage to get it rearranged sharpish.

I've done this same accumulator, but I also put down a fiver on the same but with Elkins winning instead of Bektic - returns £487.

A few thoughts.

- Hunt got my hopes up when he landed those two elbow strikes in the 2nd round. 

- Rashad obviously cut weight properly. He looked like a proper Middleweight. Whether his performance was down to him being shot, or the southpaw jinx - is open to debate. Probably a bit of both. 

- The Main Event was a complete and utter dud for most of its duration. Woodley clearly won 3 and 5. Thompson clearly won 4. The first two rounds were hard to score, They were either 10-9 rounds to Thompson, or perhaps 10-10 rounds. Woodley had the better moments in the fight, but they were so few and far between that he didn't save much face. Even the late rally - where he had Wonderboy in serious bother - felt like he was coming much too late. I guess Thompson didn't do enough do become Champion, so the verdict was reasonable. 

Proper dud of a main event there.

First two rounds I gave to Wonderboy, fuck all happened in the way of action but Thompson was always the fighter looking to engage and held dominant control over the octagon for the duration of those opening rounds. Woodley took the third because of his takedown and top control, Wonderboy took the fourth because of his striking and Woodley clearly took the fifth, though I only scored that as being a 10-9. Such a weird fight though, it seemed though neither guy was even trying to push the pace to the point of ensuring victory. I can understand Thompson being tentative, given the risk of takedowns but even when he had Tyron right up against the fence he wasn't particularly looking to finish. Give Woodley the Maia/Masvidal winner and have Thompson take on Lawler now.

Lando/Teymur was a lot of fun, Daniel Kelly looked really excellent against Rashad and Overeem's performance held up really well. Given his dodgy chin I was surprised when he survived through some of those brutal elbows, and his finish at the end was lethal.

• Paid Members

Clearly just me, but I thought the main event was engrossing. Both men were very smart with the way they fought - thought the crowd booing was dumb; Cruz did a good job explaining at the end why. No doubt Woodley and Wonderboy clearly won two rounds each, but the 4th is the key one and I personally think it was a draw, at best, for Woodley there. So a draw or Wonderboy winning, for me.

The co-main did a grand job trying to make up for the cancelled Khabib/Ferguson fight. Felt like Tekken, at times.

Not quite sure what to make of the Rashad performance. He looked good and fast, but Kelly is hard. No idea if Kelly is that good or Rashad, similar to Anderson, has completely lost that explosive pop that made the difference. I'd like to see Rashad give it another go.

Gutted for Hunt, like, but Overeem winning is maybe best for the division. Overeem won't want it, but 'Reem v the Black Beast, please.

I thought Cruz was excellent during most of it and quite a few times did a great job expanding on a Rogan point, or even correcting some of his thoughts. This three man team is a big hit, IMO. DC maybe has more personality and chemistry with Rogan, but I think Cruz does a better job analyzing.

EDIT: Apparently, Overeem was battling food poisoning 24 hours before the fight, which makes his win more impressive. He also managed to break Hunt's tibia.

• Paid Members

The Elkins and Alcantara fights on the prelims were absolute belters. Well worth checking out. 

I thought the 3 man booth were absolutely superb last night. Cruz and Rogan have some amazing chemistry together and Cruz just adds fantastic knowledge whilst being a complete pro. 

• Paid Members

I wasn't a fan of the main event. It's weird because it was edge of the seat stuff where you were always just waiting for the fight to catch fire. The problem is it never really did. I don't even blame either fighter it's just one of them things where their gameplans on the night just forced a bit of a stalemate. I guess it doesn't help that their first fight was so exciting. Measured up to that fight, the comparison isn't favourable. The last 30 seconds was good but it was like a cherry on top of a turd in the grand scheme of the fight.

I had Woodley edging it. Just about. This won't do Woodley's popularity any good. He'll swear it's racism but when you're constantly whinging and then you go out there and have a five round staring contest people aren't going to be clamouring for your next fight. Nor are money opponents like GSP, Bisping, McGregor or Diaz going to be keen on fighting you.

It's got to be the Maia vs Masvidal winner next for Woodley. Nobody else makes sense with GSP off frying bigger fish. I like the idea of Thompson vs Lawler above as well, do that.

Groovy vs Teymur was excellent. What a fight. I love Lando. Fucking loon. That cartwheel kick in the first round was ridiculous. Shame he lost but Teymur was impressive. Lando's the man though. Win or lose he's just one of those guys you can count on to deliver the goods. Never a dull moment.

Evans vs Kelly was a decent but weird fight. Right odd mish mash of styles between them. Gutted Rashad lost. Where the fuck does he go from here? This was supposed to be a fresh start in a new weight class and he's 0-1 right off the bat. I said in the OP that I thought Kelly was a tricky opponent for Rashad. He's just such an unorthodox fighter that you imagine he'd be a bastard to emulate in sparring. I think a combination of Rashad coming off a year layoff, his first cut to 185 and Kelly just being an awkward and durable cunt...the fight just got away from Rashad. On the plus side he looks tremendous physically at 185. We'll see how he looks next time out.

Oh and I loved Rashad's walkout. Seeing him relaxed and dancing to NWA's Express Yourself made me happy and optimistic for the fight. Didn't last long though :(

Cynthia Calvillo couldn't have scripted her UFC debut better than that, could she? She looks like someone worth keeping an eye on. I liked the way she was so relaxed and unfazed by the occasion during her walkout. Then the way she ran through Cooper and the finish was pretty sweet.

Overeem vs Hunt was pretty much as advertised, just lasted a bit longer than most expected. So sad seeing Hunt put out like that. That's easily the cleanest knockout I've seen Hunt suffer. He never looked completely out when Werdum and Manhoef stopped him. This was a heavy KO though. That knee was brutal and the way he just did the Flair Flop in slow motion was hard to watch. Like Jim I really got my hopes up when Hunt started connecting with them elbows. Fucking Reem. I second the call for a Black Beast vs Overeem fight now. I think the Beast getting the winner of this fight was always the logical next step.

FS1 prelims were a tale of two halves. Godbeer vs Spitz and Tybura vs Henrique did nothing for me. Found both fights so dull. The other two though...

Alcantara vs Sanders was a good fight. Sanders was really putting it on Iuri for a good round and a half. For Alcantara to come from behind and get the submission was awesome. Nice to see a leg lock finish as well, pretty rare these days.

And Elkins vs Bektic, fuck me! I hope these two got performance bonuses because this was a hell of a fight. And Elkins pulled off an even more spectacular comeback than Alcantara's. He was getting seriously fucked up, covered in blood, two rounds down easily on the scorecards then comes out in the third and smashes the unbeaten Bektic. Incredible stuff. If you're on the fence about whether to watch the prelims or not at least watch this fight. I'd even probably give it FOTN over Lando vs Teymur actually.

Didn't see the fight but shame to hear Paul Craig got put away inside a round on Fight Pass. Tyson Pedro looks decent from what I remember though so he might go on to do something in the division. Hopefully they both will. 205 needs some new blood badly.

So yeah a really good show with a flat main event.

• Paid Members

Oh yeah, how fucking sharp did Francis Ngannou look when they cut to him in the crowd?

ysqxH.jpg

Considering he was homeless before he started in MMA, the big man's done alright.

And apparently Overeem is saying he's up for fighting Ngannou next!

• Paid Members

You gem of a man! I saw that and made a mental note to find a screen shot for a new avatar. The boy looks $$$$$.

Weird that Overeem in now this company man. Dana White even came out during Overeem's post-fight presser and had a word in his ear, thanking him for taking the Hunt fight, despite being in hospital only a few hours before.

Archived