WWE UK Championship Tournament

Onyx2

WWE UK will generate interest in British wrestling amongst Network subscribers who'd never stick with ITV's family-oriented, almost panto-style production.

World of Sport will generate interest in British wrestling amongst casual viewers who'd never subscribe to a £10-a-month streaming service dedicated mostly to American razzmatazz.

It's in British wrestling's interests for both to thrive, and there's more than enough talent to split between them - with many being more suited to one than the other.

• Replies 380
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

I like Pete Dunne.

Right, then get on it. He's top notch in this tournament. Stop fannying about otherwise I will drive up to Hull and destroy each of your poxy white telephone boxes one by one!

Do you actually think this tournament has had a detrimental effect on the WoS show?

I can't see how it can't tbh. The talent pool isn't infinate and whereas there's room for a number of major promotions in a market such as the USA, i'm not entirely convinced that's the case over here.

No matter how well the WWE tournament does, its still only going to gain exposure among the wrestling die-hards who already pay good money every month. The ITV show is the only chance of a real breakthrough and any kind of mainstream exposure.

I think you've grossly underestimated how much talent we have over here. WWE picked 20 names for their tournament, after WoS had already signed more than a dozen to theirs. There are loads of names that didn't make either show/event, people have been throwing names around all over the place saying how surprised they are at their omission. And again bear in mind that WoS signed their talent FIRST, they chose from the talent available, so whether the WWE UK tournament happened or not, the WoS line-up would have remained the same. Therefore in terms of talent, the WWE tourney has had no detrimental effect on the New Years Eve TV show.

Going forward, if WoS do start to run a show, then sure WWE UK have slightly narrowed the talent pool available if they want to add to their roster, but only by 20. That isn't a large number in the grand scheme of things, given the number of decent workers in this country. The talent pool is also likely to continue to grow as this will naturally have a boost on training schools.

As good as Pete Dunne, Tyler Bate and the others are, I don't think any future WoS plans are 'sabotaged' by them not being able to use these guys. To be honest, some of the guys in the tournament might not be ideal for the kind of TV show ITV will put on anyway. So if WoS does have a chance of making a a mainstream breakthrough, the lack of a Wolfgang or a Jordan Devlin isn't going to hinder them from achieving this.

• Paid Members

WWE-UK seems aimed at the people who subscribe to online networks and the people who fill halls every weekend. There was almost nothing in World Of Sport for those people, because "it wasn't aimed at us". 

• Paid Members

Was Nigel just hired for this or longer? Be good on NXT to let graves concentrate on raw

I'd be happier if he replaced Percy Watson, who is totally useless on NXT.

Wrong race

If we are to believe that he is on the team because of that of course

The only people that are going to know this exists are the people that already subscribe to the Network.

And it doesn't matter how many names there are. Anyone can wrestle. Anyone can go to a wrestling school, pay the money and learn, I could do it if I wanted to. That doesn't mean to say I have any place on a WWE show or a WOS sport show or any other indy show. Now granted, I've seen some of the indy shows on the Youtube and I've no doubt I could be more entertaining and get more heat than many of the guys out there just now but that's beside the point. They need real stars. Stars that can cross over into the mainstream.

Believe me I've thought about it, not because I've wanted to be a wrestler or anything like that, If i did I would have done it when I was much younger but if I can help the business in any way I can, even if it is just going out there for a short time and maybe selling some extra tickets and helping the companies out I'd do it. Try and get some of their younger talent over and try and boost the business.

Archived