When Brock leaves...

Arn Anderson's Darb

• Members

So without doubt Brock's appearances have been good for business (most of the time) but before Goldberg, things were starting to get a bit stale. Never one for overstaying his welcome, it's probably safe to assume he'll be finishing up in the next year or two, if nothing else because there's not much left for him to do. So for a bit of arm chair booking, if Brock gave his notice, how would you like to see him finish up?

Assuming he's facing Goldberg at mania, you've got 12 months on a similar schedule. What would you do with him?

I'm asking because it would seem a waste for him and Goldberg to finish up together, and riding off into retirement with no full time talent getting any rub from them surely (and let's face it, Goldberg isn't sticking around to lose to Dean Ambrose).

So what do you do? Is it worth putting Reigns over him clean at this point? Turn him blue eye and pass the torch to Strowman? Build up Big E for a singles run?

• Paid Members

Dunno what the long term goal is but in the short term, I'd go Reigns vs. Goldberg at Mania with Goldberg taking the title. Then Goldberg vs. Lesnar at SummerSlam with Brock taking the title. Then transition it at WM in 2018 to the next guy. That could be Strowman or maybe one of the NXT lot.

I was thinking he'd probably retire at WM34 when his contract is up tbh but i'm not really sure now.

I've said Taker is retiring for the last few years and he keeps coming back for more. If they continue to pay Brock the same and offers the schedule he wants, then maybe he'll stick around for another few years.

• Paid Members

Never one for overstaying his welcome, it's probably safe to assume he'll be finishing up in the next year or two, if nothing else because there's not much left for him to do.

What? Why is that safe to assume? I'd say it's as safe as going bareback into Missy Hyatt.

He'll stick around as long as they keep paying him I imagine.

GIVE THAT MAN A GOLDFISH. Brock's a businessman, not a mark for the business. He won't give a shit how stale he's perceived by smarks like us, as long as they pay him. And they'll pay him for as long as he draws.

Never one for overstaying his welcome, it's probably safe to assume he'll be finishing up in the next year or two, if nothing else because there's not much left for him to do.

What? Why is that safe to assume? I'd say it's as safe as going bareback into Missy Hyatt.

. And they'll pay him for as long as he draws.

In what way is he drawing though, do the ratings surge when he is on? I haven't seen evidence of that, house shows didn't spike when he turned up either. It would be interesting to see if Network subs or trials go up when he is in a program/on a PPV, but I guess we will never know those statistics. Brock coming through the curtain causes a big pop and a gasp from the live crowd but is he actually affecting business, and if he is, is it enough to warrant paying him millions of dollars to stand next to Heyman smiling?

How are his merch sales, I see plenty of Suplex City shirts, but how does he compare with New Day/Cena/Reigns/Ambrose/AJ etc??

I ask these questions because I basically don't know the answers.

• Members

GIVE THAT MAN A GOLDFISH. Brock's a businessman, not a mark for the business. He won't give a shit how stale he's perceived by smarks like us, as long as they pay him. And they'll pay him for as long as he draws.

Because he's done everything there is to do. Who is there left that for him that is worth what he's being paid? Fair play that while there's money on the table keep taking it, but he's a guy that notably enjoys being at home as much as possible and you have to assume that by now he doesn't need the money. How many years did Goldberg say no despite the money on offer? By all means come back when there's something worth coming back to but where does he go after Goldberg and maybe Reigns?

• Paid Members

House show attendances likely didn;t spike because the people that buy the tickets for house shows probably knew he wouldn't be turning up for them.

• Paid Members
but he's a guy that notably enjoys being at home as much as possible and you have to assume that by now he doesn't need the money.

He is at home as much as possible though, he works like what- a dozen nights a year? Maybe 20 max? Most of those involve walking to the ring, standing there next to Paul Heyman and then walking back again. For those small dates he gets paid an absolute fortune. He might not need the money, but why wouldn't he do it? For the amount he is being paid for the small number of days he has to work, he'd be mad not to.

This would never happen but assuming it was in the next 12 months I would love to see Baron Corbin Brocks career. 

I say it will never happen as Brock is going nowhere anytime soon and both are heels so not sure how the dynamic would work although I do think it maybe could work if he was then not wasted afterwards. 

So without doubt Brock's appearances have been good for business (most of the time) but before Goldberg, things were starting to get a bit stale. Never one for overstaying his welcome, it's probably safe to assume he'll be finishing up in the next year or two, if nothing else because there's not much left for him to do. So for a bit of arm chair booking, if Brock gave his notice, how would you like to see him finish up?

Assuming he's facing Goldberg at mania, you've got 12 months on a similar schedule. What would you do with him?

I think Brock'll be around for years yet, but this is a nice fantasy booking scenario. If I've only got Brock until Mania 34 I'd use each of the "Big 4" shows between now and then to milk every money combination out of Brock, Goldberg, Reigns, and Samoa Joe, in the hope that Reigns and Joe are at something close to Brock and Goldberg's current status by the end of it.

• Rumble '17: Lesnar throws out 6 or 7 jabronis but fails to eliminate Goldberg because of the intervention of a debuting Samoa Joe, who he ends up doing the double elimination over the ropes with. Goldberg wins the Rumble, Reigns wins the title. Lesnar and Joe decidedly have an issue.
  • Mania 34: Lesnar beats Joe in the latter's WrestleMania debut, but not without a considerable struggle. Joe goes close several times but can't slay the beast. Heyman declares that Brock is back to his best and intends to challenge whoever wins out of Reigns and Goldberg in the near future. A heelish Roman Reigns retains his Universal Title against Goldberg in the main event.
  • SummerSlam '17: Lesnar's title shot rolls around and he takes the belt back from Roman Reigns. He's on top of WWE once again, but Goldberg is still lurking and with a 2-0 record against Lesnar he's worth a rematch.
  • Survivor Series '17: One year on from the match which shocked the world Goldberg challenges Brock for the title which he couldn't take from Roman Reigns at WrestleMania, and this time it's title vs. career. Brock wins. Finally registering a win over Goldberg and sending him into retirement. An increasingly impressive Samoa Joe beats Roman Reigns in the semi-main.
  • Rumble '17: Brock retains his title in a competitive match against AJ Styles or Nakamura or whoever else seems suitable at the time who could play a good underdog to Brock's beast. Idea here is to provide a bit of variety away from the King Kong v Godzilla matches Brock's now been having for the last year. Later that night Samoa Joe wins the Royal Rumble, eliminating Undertaker or John Cena or even Goldberg (who gets a one off chance at a come back if he can win the Rumble or something) last.
  • Mania 34: Samoa Joe beats Brock Lesnar in the main event of WrestleMania to become Universal champion. Brock rides off into the sunset while Joe assumes Brock's former mantle as baddest man in the WWE (hopefully full time, hopefully for a few years).

House show attendances likely didn;t spike because the people that buy the tickets for house shows probably knew he wouldn't be turning up for them.

Which house shows that he's been advertised on has he no-showed?

It was in response to Ambulance Chaser's (daft) point that Brock wasn't a draw becase among other things house shows attendance didn't increase once he came back, mainly because as Geoff points out he didn't do the house show circuit except previous advertised one offs

• Paid Members

I'm not going to wade into facts and figures, Ambulance Chaser, I know not and care less. But what's self-evident is that they had Brock for three years on his bit part player megabucks deal from 12-15, and saw enough benefit that he was worth signing on for longer. We know Brock has other options and doesn't come cheap, draw your own conclusions.

Archived