UFC 206: Holloway vs Pettis

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?   

15 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Paid Members

I'm dying to see McGregor vs Cerrone. The build up would be gold as Cerrone would give as good as he gets but I think the fight itself would be incredible as well. Cowboy's a big lanky 155er with awesome kicks and he blends his striking very well with his submissions. I'd pick McGregor but on paper I think Cerrone brings some of the same problems Nate Diaz did.

Edit - I'm assuming it'd be at 155. Although they've both fought 170 (and Cerrone still does), I think they'd end up doing it at 155 with the belt up for grabs. It's a way off yet though probably. McGregor's got enough on his plate personally and with the top current 155ers.

Whilst Nate was similar in height Wand, Nate could only do damage once Mcgregor tired. I can't envision Cerrone lasting the barage that Mcgregor would bring.

The kicks mind are something different to consider I agree, but Cerrone doesn't have the chin of Nate. 

I still would love to see it though although every time Mcgregor has gone up against Cerrone verbally, he's been able to shut him up easily. He's too quick witted for Cerrone. 

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

An interesting side to a potential Cerrone/McGregor fight is the McGregor trash talk. Cerrone has admitted in the past he got taken completely out of it when Nick Diaz wound him up and McGregor is superior at this than Diaz. Cerrone has said it will never happen again, but I'm not so sure.

Skill-wise, Cerrone is obviously incredible but few seem to be able to do much when confronted with that bloody left hand. With McGregor, the one issue you imagine coaches are looking to test out is his endurance during the later rounds, but good luck getting out the 2nd without some brain damage.

• Paid Members

Yeah, I'm not saying I think Cowboy would beat McGregor. Like I said I would pick McGregor to win that fight. Just think it'd be a really exciting fight however long it lasted. I do agree that Cerrone probably wouldn't have the toughness to withstand McGregor's onslaught though. Cerrone's great to watch but he's always been a bit of a frontrunner hasn't he? I don't really remember many fights where Cerrone came through some serious shit and came back to win.

I don't really remember many fights where Cerrone came through some serious shit and came back to win.

He got seriously rocked in the Melvin Guillard fight, then rallied to stop him. Barboza also had a lot of early success before Cerrone came back at him. I don't think McGregor would let Cerrone off the hook like those two did. Much like RDA, I think he would finish the job early on. I would also like to see it though. It would be a heck of a build-up, and the fight would certainly be dramatic, regardless as to whether it went to script or not. 

Cerrone, despite being a fan favourite and exciting to watch is a mental midget in my opinion, second only to Vitor in recent times.

If he looks strong and has his own way he's a fucking monster, but if things don't go as planned he crumbles, and he's easy to fuck with mentally. McGregor would handle him quite easily I think, despite the fact that I believe Cerrone has the skills to get the job done. He simply doesn't have the mindset.

To get past the mind games it takes a certain kind of fighter in my opinion. RDA was the blueprint for that, he's pretty unshakeable, and he has the skillset to give McGregor fits. I class Khabib alongside RDA in that respect.

• Paid Members

That was why I always thought Frankie Edgar would've been a trickier customer for McGregor than Aldo or whoever else at 145. Not just his wrestling but because he's cool under pressure and he doesn't seem to let anything bother him. Back when McGregor was just blasting the entire featherweight division in the media and stuff, Edgar was the only one who really seemed to take it for what it was and be level headed about it. I think he's like a mini Hendo in that way, he's a tough one to rattle mentally.

I always thought Edgar would be the toughest test for McGregor at 145 but, with hindsight, I think the sheer range of McGregor's frame would've caused Frankie all kinds of grief. I'd still be interested in seeing that fight if it ever becomes a possibility though.

I agree though, I think Khabib and RDA are the hardest fights at lightweight. I still think Tony Ferguson poses some problems as well though. When it comes down to it I'd pick McGregor to beat him but I think Ferguson has some tools in his game that could at least make him capable of giving McGregor a challenge.

Just realised all this has sod all to do with UFC 206. So yeah...

Who you picking? Holloway or Pettis? Cerrone or Brown?

• Paid Members

What's the deal with Cowboy's eye? When he released the photo of it on Instagram, it was dismissed as being makeup for a TV show he was doing. I'm sure I've seen photos of him since then with it patched up though.

Edit: it looks like it's healing in Embedded too.

• Paid Members

Yeh its weird. The inital pic he posted looked bad, but everybody put it down to being makeup for a TV show he's filming, but at the fighter union meetint thing last week he could still be seen sporting a black eye.

Archived