UFC 206: Holloway vs Pettis

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?   

15 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Paid Members

I think Mousasi would have to be absolute last resort for them to be honest. Sure, the guy himself has nothing to lose by going back to LHW to challenge for the belt...

It wouldn't even be for the belt. Rumble isn't the champion.

Mousasi should leave this alone. If I was him I'd switch my phone off right about now. He's had a bumpy road to get where he is now in the middleweight division. He's in the best form he's been in since 2010ish and his momentum has probably never been higher. He'd be a fool to step in now at light heavyweight, and against a beast like Rumble, and on just a couple of weeks' notice. People might say 'well a loss at 205 won't effect his standing at 185' and yeah, it wouldn't effect his position in the rankings. But say he goes in there and gets brutally knocked out cold by Rumble (which there's always a high risk of when fighting that monster), it sets him back momentum wise. Plus it could mean he sits out on a medical suspension for months at a time when he wants to keep the ball rolling at 185.

There's just not much upside to it IMO. The risk isn't worth it for Mousasi. Not when he's worked so hard to get to the position he's in now at 185.

Edit - Best case scenario is Gus stepping in. Outside chance they throw a Shogun shaped bone Rumble's way :( but that doesn't sound like a PPV main event in 2016.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Probably. But even if that wasn't the case, Rumble already KO'd Manuwa just over a year ago and the fight was pretty shit apart from the finish.

I know beggars can't be choosers in a situation like this and I know Rumble also KO'd Gus not much longer ago than the Manuwa fight, but Rumble vs Gus 2 is more interesting than Rumble vs Manuwa 2. And more headline worthy.

They mightn't have a choice though. I can see them just ending up removing Rumble from the card altogether and this will become the most stacked FS1 Fight Night probably ever.

• Paid Members

I wouldn't be surprised to see Anderson step in to save the show for another few million payday. He'all get murdered, but I don't know if he cares at this point.

I was about to throw the same name out there, it's a very small possibility.

205 is so thin it's incredible. There really aren't many options to even try and offer it to, never mind whether those people could/would take it. What's Chuck Liddell's phone number?

Didn't Gustafsson just pull out of a fight? I'm sure he was meant to fight Lil Nog and Bader stepped in as a replacement.

They may as well just go freakshow and have a top heavyweight step in and Rumble doesn't need to cut, he has the power for that weight class anyway.

• Paid Members

Phone Mark Hunt. He's liable to take a hissy fit down the phone though, rambling about piss tests, so saving that, Big Country or Josh Barnett would be a lot of fun that's for sure!

You could have Rumble tear through Arlovski, but other than that one fight then fights at heavyweight would probably be a pretty big mistake.

• Paid Members

Rumble's already battered Arlovski in WSOF.

And yeah Mole, you're right. Gus was supposed to fight Little Nog this past weekend but pulled out injured, which is why we got Bader vs Nog 2 instead. So Gus is out :(

I'm really stumped what they do here. Either they feed Shogun to him, give him Bader again or give him a heavyweight. Or, what I think might end up happening, just take him off the card completely, make this a Fight Night with Pettis vs Holloway headlining and try rebooking the Cormier fight for another time.

Edit - I guess when you think about it, two PPVs in December is kind of overkill anyway with Christmas, New Years and coming off the back of the monstrous UFC 205. And if they were going to scrap one December PPV, it's better they lose this one than the Rousey one I suppose.

• Paid Members

Bloody Elbow reporting that the UFC are looking to make Max Holloway/Frankie Edgar for the main event for the 145lb Interim Title...thus promoting Jose Aldo to full Champion. Great fight but baffling decision, why keep the interim title active?

• Paid Members

I really hope they don't do that. It just makes the water even muddier in that division. Interim titles are a pile of nonsense to begin with but this would be more complicated than most with the McGregor issue thrown in the middle. Just bring in somebody for Rumble to smash and keep it a PPV, or take him off the card and make it a fight night.

Bloody Elbow reporting that the UFC are looking to make Max Holloway/Frankie Edgar for the main event for the 145lb Interim Title...thus promoting Jose Aldo to full Champion. Great fight but baffling decision, why keep the interim title active?

It's Holloway vs Pettis. Unless my news feed is slightly behind. 

I think they've dug up another version of the interim title to help give the PPV more prestige. Obviously, it makes things even more confusing, but I presume they were going to strip McGregor eventually, and promote Also to full Champion. Or perhaps let Aldo walk, making his interim title defunct. I suspect the former. 

• Paid Members

oh yeh, i meant Pettis.

it's stupid though, the Interim title is there to have an insurance policy in place in case the champion doesn't return. If they strip Conor and promote Aldo there is absolutely no point in creating a new Interim Champion, it's just decorative nonsence at that point.

Oh, I agree.

I just think they are creating "decorative nonsense" so they can save face. This card was always slated to be a big deal with GSP's return being initially touted. but that went tits up. They then saved the show by creating a wicked Main Card - partially off pull outs from the 205 card - and now that's gone down the tube. The whole thing is a mess. 

Archived