UFC 206: Holloway vs Pettis

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?   

15 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Paid Members

I hope they've got their shit sorted with Aldo now. Because if they have we really can't lose with either Aldo vs Holloway or Aldo vs Pettis after this, can we?

I fucking love every combination of those three and they're all fresh fights too.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

All of the options between those three could indeed be barnburners, and it'll be very interesting to see who comes out the otherside as the Champion.

The loser of Pettis/Holloway to fight Edgar with the winner fighting Aldo?

• Paid Members

Makes sense to me. And again, that's a fresh fight either way as well. Edgar hasn't fought Holloway or Pettis.

Maybe I was wrong in the 'what's your favourite/least favourite weight class?' thread when I said featherweight had got less interesting recently. It's suddenly looking brilliant again now there actually a direction for the division again.

Winner of the interim to take on Aldo for mine.  Aldo vs Edgar was done at 200 and 50-45 or 49-46 five round fight at best.  Edgar needs at least one more 'W' (maybe against the loser of the interim strap fight?) before coming back into contention for me.  

Aldo must have backtracked on the noises he was making because no way would UFC have handed him the strap if there is a chance he could walk out.  

• Paid Members

Yeah that's what WeeAl was saying. Winner of Holloway vs Pettis fights Aldo to unify the titles. And the loser fights Edgar. Despite the quality of their two fights, I don't think anyone's clamouring for Aldo vs Edgar 3 anytime soon. Although saying that, I could see them both beating everyone else and a third fight being a must before too long.

Card's been reshuffled a bit again. Mein vs Meek now opens the PPV.

• Paid Members

Yeah that's what WeeAl was saying. Winner of Holloway vs Pettis fights Aldo to unify the titles. And the loser fights Edgar. Despite the quality of their two fights, I don't think anyone's clamouring for Aldo vs Edgar 3 anytime soon. Although saying that, I could see them both beating everyone else and a third fight being a must before too long.

Card's been reshuffled a bit again. Mein vs Meek now opens the PPV.

Yeah I can't see many people wanting to see a third Aldo/Edgar fight either, but if Edgar works back through the division then that may end up being inevitable. I think Edgar can make 135 though if he wanted too. Whether that's a good thing or not is another matter.

Edgar seems to fight around his normal weight, and it's served him well. That should be encouraged and it would be healthy if more fighters started doing the same. Unfortunately it seems the weight being cut by a lot of fighters is worse than ever as every division now is filled with guys who ten years ago would be in the division above.

• Paid Members

I think Cruz genuinely has a chance of emulating what Mcgregor did and become a dual champ simultaneously. However, since he doesn't hold much clout, he probably won't be given the chance given what's happened to Mcgregor. 

• Paid Members

Edgar was on Matt Serra's podcast after UFC 205 and they asked him about 135. Frankie basically said he could make 135 but that "cutting weight sucks" and he doesn't really want to do it. He did say he'd do it if they offered him a title shot but I'm not sure the UFC would just offer him a straight up title shot if he's um'ing and ahh'ing about the weight cut. It could leave them in another mess if Edgar dropped down, won the 135 title then didn't want to stay at the weight. I think if Edgar won the belt he'd stay at 135 but they might not fancy taking the risk on having another title picture muddied.

I've always said that out of everyone on the roster, I actually think Edgar might have the best chance of becoming the first UFC Triple Crown title holder. He's already been champ at 155. And I think he's got a realistic shot at the 145 and 135 belts. I could see him beating Cruz. Aldo would be the one who'd be the biggest obstacle but say Aldo gets hurt and Holloway or Pettis are champ? I could see Edgar beating either of them too.

Realistically you'd say McGregor has the better chance of beating him to it though. He's a title ahead and only needs one more ti accomplish history again. And time's in his favour as well whereas Edgar's got more miles on his clock. I struggle to picture McGregor beating the top welterweights and becoming champ there. 170 just seems a bit too ambitious to me. But at this point I'm done counting him out.

Maybe I was wrong in the 'what's your favourite/least favourite weight class?' thread when I said featherweight had got less interesting recently. It's suddenly looking brilliant again now there actually a direction for the division again.

I had a feeling Featherweight would pan out well. Losing the biggest star in MMA is a kicker, but it's still a division that has Aldo, Edgar, Pettis and Max. Looking at the rankings, there's plenty of exciting talent underneath those as well.  The foundation was always there, it just needed a bit more structure with the title situation. It's crap that we are going to still have 2 Champions by year's end, but it should resolve itself by the next Spring. 

• Paid Members

The new 206 poster;

4OjuS.jpg

And here's a nice fan made one with the original main event;

a8T0v.jpg

I really like that.

Can't wait for this show now. If you can look past the disappointment of losing DC vs Rumble 2 and get over the fact it's got an impossibly tough act to follow coming off the heels of UFC 205...this is a fantastic looking card in its own right. It's sandwiched between McGregor and Rousey PPVs so it's understandable this one feels small time in comparison but if your nips aren't getting just a little bit erect over a card where the top two fights are Max Holloway vs Anthony Pettis and Donald Cerrone vs Matt Brown then I don't know what to tell you.

• Paid Members

I'm dying to see McGregor vs Cerrone. The build up would be gold as Cerrone would give as good as he gets but I think the fight itself would be incredible as well. Cowboy's a big lanky 155er with awesome kicks and he blends his striking very well with his submissions. I'd pick McGregor but on paper I think Cerrone brings some of the same problems Nate Diaz did.

Edit - I'm assuming it'd be at 155. Although they've both fought 170 (and Cerrone still does), I think they'd end up doing it at 155 with the belt up for grabs. It's a way off yet though probably. McGregor's got enough on his plate personally and with the top current 155ers.

I'm dying to see McGregor vs Cerrone. The build up would be gold as Cerrone would give as good as he gets but I think the fight itself would be incredible as well. Cowboy's a big lanky 155er with awesome kicks and he blends his striking very well with his submissions. I'd pick McGregor but on paper I think Cerrone brings some of the same problems Nate Diaz did.

Edit - I'm assuming it'd be at 155. Although they've both fought 170 (and Cerrone still does), I think they'd end up doing it at 155 with the belt up for grabs. It's a way off yet though probably. McGregor's got enough on his plate personally and with the top current 155ers.

I'd fancy McGregor to win that one to be honest. Cerrone has a tendency to crumble if he comes under pressure, and if Conor got into his groove I don't think Cerrone would have what it takes to turn it around.

• Paid Members

206 for me is still looking fantastic, it's a card that keep falling apart and rebuilding to look stronger.

There's no enough love for Swanson/Choi here for though, that's a barnburner right there. Choi has been one of the finds of the year but it's a huge step up. There's no way that fight disappoints.

Archived