UFC 206: Holloway vs Pettis

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?   

15 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Has Aldo not said he's retired? This could be for his interim title?

I think he said he would retire if he didn't get a shot at McGregor for the 145lb belt, but things have gone quiet since. Do not think he has actually retired yet though.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Tim Kennedy is fighting Gastric Band Gastelum on this card as well.

This is how the card is looking now...

PPV MAIN CARD

Max Holloway vs Anthony Pettis - Interim Featherweight Title

Donald Cerrone vs Matt Brown

Tim Kennedy vs Kelvin Gastelum

Cub Swanson vs Doo Ho Choi

Nikita Krylov vs Misha Cirkunov

FOX SPORTS 1 PRELIMS

Olivier Aubin-Mercier vs Drew Dober

Valerie Letourneau vs Viviane Pereira

John Makdessi vs Lando Vannata

Rustam Khabilov vs Jason Saggo

FIGHT PASS PRELIMS

Mitch Gagnon vs Matthew Lopez

Zach Makovsky vs Dustin Ortiz

Jordan Mein vs Emil Weber Meek

Doesn't scream PPV but I still really love this card. And we don't have to pay extra for it anyway so who gives a fuck?

As for the interim thing, yeah it's stupid. The only reason they've created the interim title in this case is because they want to justify headlining a PPV with Holloway vs Pettis. They seem to think titles are the be all/end all when it comes to topping a PPV. In reality it's the exact same situation it would've been without the stupid interim belt. Aldo's the full champ now, Holloway and Pettis fight in a #1 contenders fight, the winner challenges Aldo. There was no need to inject an interim belt into that situation as Aldo only just won the belt in July.

Pettis shouldn't even really be in this contenders position with just one win at featherweight but, to be fair, if he beats Magic Max you can definitely justify it IMO. I'm just glad we're finally going to be getting this mess at 145 cleared up, to be honest. And the Aldo/Holloway/Pettis triangle, however you chop it up, should produce some incredible fights so I'm good with this. It's better all around. This way the featherweight division can move on and lightweight is where the more interesting fights are for McGregor anyway. It's a win-win.

• Paid Members

it is literally a glorified number 1 contender fight. I know why the UFC put Aldo in place as interim champion, this time it's completely irrelevant. The only reason i imagine they'd have any thought of doing so is if the contract situation with Aldo really is bad and they expect he may not actually fight with the UFC again.

• Paid Members

Like I said, it's purely a promotion thing. This way they can say UFC 206 is still being headlined by a 'title fight'. It's silly but that's how they think. It's obvious that's the reason otherwise why wasn't Holloway vs Pettis always for the interim belt? The interim title only got added in when Cormier vs Rumble fell apart.

It's because they really, really hate having non title fights main event PPVs. If you look back over the last couple of years, it's very rare that they headline a PPV with a non title fight. It has to be something that transcends a belt and is deemed important and sexy enough for PPV on its own merit - like the two Conor McGregor vs Nate Diaz fights this year, or Anderson Silva vs Nick Diaz from last year. Those fights didn't need titles. I guess they think Holloway vs Pettis does. Think about it, they didn't even have Brock Lesnar vs Mark Hunt headline 200, they went with fucking Tate vs Nunes instead! That's how deep their 'title fights must go on last on PPV' mentality goes.

I'm not arsed though. I was already loving the Holloway vs Pettis fight, adding the interim title doesn't add anything to it for me.

Archived