UFC 206: Holloway vs Pettis

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?   

15 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Paid Members

I had a good feeling about this card from the start, despite all the switches the fights that stayed together were all crackers on paper. I was pimping Choi/Swanson on here from the moment it was announced too but nobody seemed to take notice :closedeyes: regardless, that was one of the best main cards of the year, it had a bit of everything which is what i like to see from an MMA show.

Despite me looking forward to it, i never expected Swanson/Choi to go down like that. I thought it may be a coming out party for Choi who's quietly built up a cult following in the last year or so, but it just ended up being a war. Choi has a strange charisma and likeability about him that's gonna turn him into a Korean Zombie like star. I can't recall seeing another show where a relatively unheralded fighter had a foreign crowd chanting his name. Weirdly still it feels like Choi himself was the real winner of the fight. The Choi love on the commentary was a little grating and Rogan clearly had his monkey fingers all over his dick at points, you could almost sense he knew he was being to bias so would add some love for Swanson at the end of a sentence. Just an epic fight though. Never write of Cub Swanson.

I took great pleasure in seeing Tim Kennedy getting messed up. Kennedy's outspoken views and smug take on fighting always has me rooting against him. The pre-fight interview made me want to Gastelum to win even more, Kennedy clearly believed Gastelum had no way of winning that fight. Kennedy's actual style annoys me too, when he did have success in round 1, his primary tactic is to hold onto a body lock and knee to the legs and arse, it's a tactic Kennedy's adopted before and it's shit to watch. Great to hear Rogan back track on commentary too after putting over Kennedy's incredible gas-tank, only to see him blowing out of his arse after a round. Gastelum should stay at 185 though, he looked great.

Cerrone/Brown was everything it promised to be. Two stubborn fuckers trying to out-tough each other. I felt Brown needed to get in closer and use his good in-game but he seemed on intent on wanting to beat Cerrone from the outside. Cerrone's switch kick is one of the best weapons in the entire sport. BOINK.

Enjoyed Emil Webber Meek too in the opener, charismatic guy with a wild style. Big win too over Mein. Mein seemed to die on his arse after round 1, don't know if that was down to ring rust or what, but Meek impressed me.

Main prelims weren't upto much, but i skipped the Fight Pass prelims and missed the Vannata kick, noooooo!

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Where do folk reckon this one ends up on your card of the year list, then? It lacked the big fight feel with a proper star on top, but bugger me did everything on the main card have something worth your time.

My favourite card of the year, had everything a fight fan could possibly want. Cerrone's head kick KO & Kennedy getting battered were both absolutely beautiful & Swanson/Choi is probably my FOTY.

• Paid Members

Anyone else feel that people ain't really appreciating what Max Holloway achieved Saturday night? What a ridiculous streak he's on, 10 fights with wins over many of the top 10 Featherweights. For a while i think Holloway was always seen as one of Conor McGregor's victim but he slowly built himself into one of the top guys without a lot of people actually noticing. There's probably not been a more deserving nailed on No.1 contender in UFC history (and lets be honest, thats what the interim title is). It isn't like Holloway had any rough fights along the way either, i think he's dominated everybody he's fought in the last 2 years.

Given the form, how does everyone see the actual Holloway/Aldo fight going?

• Paid Members

Absolutely Ebb. Holloway vs Aldo is going to be killer, especially seeing as we're also coming off what's likely a career best performance from Aldo. He didn't get enough props for beating Edgar (in a fucking great fight) who was arguably on the best run of anyone in the sport.

• Paid Members

Holloway definitely doesn't get the respect he deserves. It will come if he beats Aldo, obviously. I think it's partly down to the Featherweight division realistically only having a couple of names some casuals may know about as an impressive victory. Even Pettis, while still a fighter of some repute, has lost a lot of shine due to this late Dan Hardy run he's on. It will come though, should he continue to smash his way through the division.

I always pick Aldo because he's Aldo. Despite the devastation and humiliation of the McGregor defeat, he's only lost two fight in 11 years, which in itself is mental and doesn't get enough respect, probably.

• Paid Members

especially seeing as we're also coming off what's likely a career best performance from Aldo. He didn't get enough props for beating Edgar (in a fucking great fight)

I need to re-watch it, but he's also suffered from being another McGregor victim. Aldo just felt like damaged goods coming off the Conor fight and despite coming back strong it still feels that he is.

Archived