The "I've just watched ..." thread

mikehoncho

I just stuck a random Nitro from the middle of 1998 on for some background viewing as I'm doing some things around the house.

First match - The Barbarian vs Jim Duggan, followed by Meng coming down and beating up a load of chumps. Glorious viewing.

The crowd was really hot for it too, better reaction for this match than any current WWE main event that doesn't feature Lesnar or Cena.

Edited by The King of Old School

• Paid Members

Capital Combat: The Return of Robocop! What could they mean?!

Ooh, Bob Caudle's back, good news. I'd had enough of Terry Funk.

Six big man tag to start! Bam Bam Bigelow, Cactus Jack (not Manson) and Kevin Sullivan versus The Road Warriors and Norman (not The Lunatic). Big Kahuna is a truly disgusting specimen, button your shirt up. Fun opener, Foley's stupid bump for the match is over there guardrail into the front row and ending with a chair round his neck. Hawk wallops Kev with a clothesline off the second rope for the win.

Mean Mark vs Johnny Ace now. Great. Not sure if the Dynamic Dudes have been disbanded by now. Big Johnny tries to get the crowd chanting at one point and NOBODY responds. No people power :( Mr. Callous wins comfortably with a heart punch and then a top rope elbow. Crap.

Captain Mike Rotunda and Tommy Rich are tagging now? And they're taking on the Samoan Swat Team. Rich got another terrible reaction. SST win after a match which goes about 7 months.

Hair versus hair! Missy Hyatt announces Paul Ellering vs Sugar Ray Long! They've got a professional haircutter and everything. Ellering knocks Teddy out with a loaded boxing glove. And they don't even cut all his hair off! BOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.

This is fucking crap so far. This should be more like it as the US tag titles go on the line. Save us Midnight Express! They're challenging Z-Man and Flyin' Brian. Cornette gets locked in the prison for the match after Randy Anderson clotheslines him! This is a fantastic match, Eaton and Pillman's exchanges are beautiful, with Eaton hitting an awesome slingshot backbreaker at one point. The Express win the titles after Stan wallops Zenk with a kick and Bobby rolls him up. The crowd loved this match and rightly so.

Gordon Solie meets Robocop! OMG. Sting comes out in his very best house pants. Robocop is making his way to the ring! You know, I mean, this segment is obviously potty but the crowd fucking loved it. AEW should give Peter Weller a call.

JYD comes out for an interview and Cornette interrupts him before being informed Dog's paid his mum a visit!

Corporal Punishment time! Rock 'n Roll come out on a motorised ramp with a jukebox. The Fabulous Freebirds don't but they get a better reaction. Hayes hits Morton with a left hand at one point that looked like a legitimate knockout shot. And then another, fantastic. Another Express win with a really good match, they had a tough act to follow but this was fine in its own right.

It's Steiners vs Doom time again! If my memory serves me right, this was the best of their matches, but it's been ages since I saw it, this one's for the world tag titles. I'm not sure if it's the one I was thinking of even after watching it, but it's a belter anyway. Just nothing more I like in wrestling than four big bastards battering each other. Doom win the titles!

Lex vs Ric in a cage for the world title now. Absolutely bizarre they allowed Woman to stay in there! Not quite as good as their previous match and it's thrown out after Ole Anderson makes them raise the cage so big Barry Windham can get in there and clobber Lex. El Gigante makes an appearance too! Big lad, him.

Started off awful but really picked up for its second half. 

Never watched it so thought I would check out the Styles vs Cena WWE Title Match at Rumble 17. What a brilliant display. Great selling, told the story, really shows why Cena is hugely underrated by the majority. The guy can really go even with the miles he has on the old clock. 

Viceland "The Wrestlers" S#01 E#01 ... it's archive footage (2015 through 2017) ... shows a nice little piece of indie stuff with Evolve.

Now into E#02 ... MVP is the focus of this one ... I've never been a fan, so this could be a drag.

Gabe Sapolsky's business is the base for these episodes so far, but there is FIP footage which includes CM Punk.

Edited by Arthur B. Funky
Addition, & more

• Paid Members

Clash of the Champions XI: Coastal Crush! Sponsored by Robocop 2!

It's the wild eyed Southern Boys, with Confederate flag tights and all, against the Freebirds! In South Carolina as well! Splendid. Good little opener, this, and the Southern Boys pick up the upset to a massive reception from their fellow racists.

Tommy Rich versus Bam Bam Bigelow next. Rich gets some cheers at last! Quite a few boos too. What did he do?! This doesn't go long before Bam Bam just chokes Rich until he gets DQed. He then says he's going to kill everybody. I believe you!

El Gigante comes out for an interview with the Great Gary Michael Cappetta - who interviews him in Spanish! Cappetta is the greatest of all time.

Samoan Swat Team or SST if you prefer, fighting Mike Rotunda again, but this time teaming with the Z-Man. Rotunda is a big fuckin cheat as well, rolling Fatu up despite not being the legal man. All the racists love it.

Mean Mark vs Flyin' Brian next. This is a rotten card. Mark gets a video package! He's now got Paul E. as his manager, they probably wouldn't let Teddy Long in the building. Taker wins it with a Stun Gun, an ok match.

The Expresses will save us, I'm sure. The US tag titles on the line in their 76,511th match. This is a predictably good match if slightly messy in places, the Midnights retain after Stan Lane gets disqualified for interfering with Nick Patrick. Ooh!

Doug Furnas vs Barry Windham next! What a handsome chap Barry was. *swoon* Barry pins Furnas with a belly to back suplex and his feet absolutely weren't on the ropes. Furnas was really rough in this match, early days for him, I guess.

Lex Luger goes against Sid Vicious now. Vicious cuts a short but great promo beforehand. How can you not love Sid. Luger pins him after about 20 seconds with a clothesline! Oh, ok then.

Steiners vs Doom part 245! And I'm totally fine with that. Think there might be a riot here if the black guys win. Doom retain after they wallop Scotty with a loaded fist after another splendid, crunching match.

Mr. #1derful is back! He's after Arn Anderson's world TV title. Shame it's not on the line. What an absolute treat of a match though, with Orndorff reversing a roll-up for the win.

Junkyard Dog's been given a world title match against Ric Flair for some reason. It's predictably thrown out when the Horsemen invade after JYD totally dominates.

A mixed bag as usual from COTC.

• Paid Members
On 6/4/2019 at 12:19 AM, wandshogun09 said:

Orndorff vs Double A? Had no idea that happened. I’m going to have to give that a look. 

Yeah, it's a good little match. Reminded me of a Saturday Night match, and I always mean that in a good way.

• Paid Members

The Great American Bash 1990!

Nature Boy's curtain jerking! Oh it's Buddy Landel. I've never actually seen much of Landel, and he's going against Flyin' Brian. This is a weird match. Landel totally dominates, doesn't sell a thing, and Pillman wins with a crossbody off the top. Landel got a chant as well.

IRS in his stupid sailor hat - against The Iron Sheik. OK then. Sheik attacks Rotunda with his flag before the match and Jim Ross calls it a terrorist attack. Fucking hell! Rotunda wins, this was as bad as expected.

Dirty Dutch! Against Doug Furnas?! Who fucking booked these and what non-prescription substance were they on. Zeb gives Furnas a good slapping before the world's second strongest man starts cheating by doing flips and dropkicks, before winning. Booooo!

Now Harley Race against Tommy Rich! A bit bloody late for a rematch ffs. Race was still great even at this stage. This was actually a good little match, shame the crowd didn't care. Harley wins too!

Ahh, now we're on. The Midnight Express defend the US tag titles against The Southern Boys. Now many racists in tonight, with Smothers and Armstrong getting a quieter reaction than they did at the least COTC. Midnights get a better reaction and Bobby Eaton gets some "Bobby!" chants. I like this crowd, and they LOVE this match. A few "Southern Boys suck!" chants too. Lovely. I *love* this crowd. They're red hot for this and in fairness to the Confederates, they really know how to get a crowd going, they're all action. A superb match, the last couple of minutes were utter chaos, and the Midnights retain to a huge reception. Bloody love Midnight Express.

Ooh, who's this big fella who's debuting? Big Van Vader? Big in Japan, apparently, and we all know how well those guys do! He's got the Z-Man in his first match. A quality squash though. He might get a run with the TV title or something.

Freebirds vs Steiners now. Cameraman happily gets a close-up of some fans doing a "Faggot!" chant at one point towards Michael Hayes. In all seriousness, it shows how little of a shit WWE gives about the LGBTQ community that there isn't a warning about that before this stream starts. Ross jokes the Freebirds would be popular in some parts of San Francisco and that they're mates with "Harvey Firestone". Fucking hell. Anyway, pretty good match and the Steiners get a massive reception with the win.

Another big lad debuts now, El Gigante! In a six man tag against the three Horsemen teaming with Junkyard Dog and Paul Orndorff. Orndorff and Sid have a great early exchange and Sid gets a bunch of cheers including "We want Sid!" Horsemen are DQed for bunging JYD over the top rope then El Gigante comes in! He pushes Barry Windham a bit and everyone sort of groans like "That's it?!" Yep.

OK, Lex is back to defending the US title at last - and it's against Mean Mark! Paul E. gets upset at one stage and rings Maury Povich on his phone to tell him that Luger's pulling hair. Lex kicks out after Heyman wallops him with his phone after a ref bump, and then wins after a clothesline. Alright enough.

World tag title now with Rock n Roll Express challenging Doom. Best of luck with all that! Doom's music is brilliant, it sounds like the theme to an 80s buddy cop film. I'm so fucking bored of Jim Ross and his American football bios. Doom retain after a decent match, which serves Gibson right for punching Teddy Long as he gets nailed off the top by Butch Reed.

Main event time! Sting finally gets his title match against Ric Flair, no DQ and the 'Dudes With Attitude' will be at ringside! I'd forgotten that Ole Anderson gets handcuffed to El Gigante during this. It's a good match, this, but I always thought Sting overdoes the no-selling in it. Sting wins the title of course and the crowd goes fucking mad. Great stuff.

Not my favourite event overall but that Midnights match was an all-timer.

• Paid Members

Clash of the Champions 12 now!

A dose of Badstreet to kick off with! Yeah. They're against the Southern Boys and both sides have gone racist for this one. This was supposed to be a six man but Buddy Roberts broke his arm. Southern Boys win a cracking opener with a double pin, but Freebirds twat them after the bell and DDT Bullet Bob Armstrong.

Mike Rotunda's ditched the hat and now he's wrestling Buddy Landel. Half the crowd's gone for a slash by the looks of it. Rotunda wins with a back slide. Next!

Tim Horner and Brad Armstrong! Brad's the Candyman? Doesn't look a bit like Tony Todd. Oh dear, they've got the Master Blasters. Basic squash, Nash did some knife edge chops though! Eat that, Cornette.

Ooh The Nasty Boys! Didn't realise they were in WCW before they went to WWF. They're against Jackie Fulton and Terry Taylor. This was a good little match actually and not the squash I was expecting, the Nasties win it though.

They're really pulling out the big names tonight, here's Wild Bill Irwin to presumably job to Tommy Rich. Rich is getting cheered tonight. He wins easily with the Lou Thesz press.

Stan Hansen's here! He does a hilarious interview with Tony Schiavone and goes mad when Schiavone says he's number six in the rankings.

A women's match?! What fresh hell is this! It's Bambi vs Susan Sexton and Bob Caudle is already being sexist and it hasn't started yet. Sexton wins with a reversal of a roll-up after a mostly technical and pretty good match.

The Steiners are now wrestling Maximum Overdrive! Unfortunately they're no relation to the film and I've no idea who they are. One of them looks like Mike Awesome. I'm wrong though, it's apparently JW Storm and Tim Hunt and I'm still none the wiser. Cracking squash this and Scotty' DDTs one of them off Rick's shoulders for the win.

Stan Hansen's wrestling! Fucking made my night. Haha, it's the Z-Man. From Vader to Hansen, bad luck chum. Stan belts Zenk with a chair and the ref's too scared to DQ him. Lariat lariats his nut off for a quality squash. Love Stan.

OK, Lex Luger defends the US title against that Ric Flair. I think Luger's held this title for longer than a Cagney & Lacey pregnancy. Nobody should ever forget how over Luger was during this period. They absolutely *loved* him. Flair's DQed after Stan Hansen batters Luger following a typically really good match.

Sting vs The Black Scorpion. Imagine being handed a masked mystery man as your first feud after winning the world title ffs. I'm not going to look up who it is, I'm just going to assume it's Flair or maybe Paul Orndorff. Looks like it's probably Orndorff actually. I don't know. Anyway, Sting wins with a Stinger splash and then after he wins another Black Scorpion comes down the ramp. We want Doink! We want Doink!

• Paid Members

I'm watching an episode of Nitro from the night after Fall Brawl 1996. Konnan Vs Super Calo just happened. Surely Super Calo is dead, right? This fucking idiot falls slap bang on his head more times in this match than I have fingers.

He misses a dropkick and falls on the back of his head. Konnan clotheslines him, Calo tries to take a spin bump from it and doesn't rotate fully and, the you guessed it, squashes his neck. Then Konnan hits him with this elevated DDT thingy and plants him completely on the back of his neck with his head tucked in and nowhere to go. That wasn't even the finish. How he walked away from this I have no idea. 

• Paid Members
4 hours ago, WeeAl said:

I'm watching an episode of Nitro from the night after Fall Brawl 1996. Konnan Vs Super Calo just happened. Surely Super Calo is dead, right? This fucking idiot falls slap bang on his head more times in this match than I have fingers.

He misses a dropkick and falls on the back of his head. Konnan clotheslines him, Calo tries to take a spin bump from it and doesn't rotate fully and, the you guessed it, squashes his neck. Then Konnan hits him with this elevated DDT thingy and plants him completely on the back of his neck with his head tucked in and nowhere to go. That wasn't even the finish. How he walked away from this I have no idea. 

They had a few matches apparently. They all look class...

58353354-B4C5-44AA-8EE9-2D1CF98BA02F.gif

625FAC57-3F58-41E3-8F2B-474C5A754554.gif

• Paid Members

I don't think Super Calo had a single match where he didn't land right on the top of his head in WCW. Throw in Konnan, and it's the immovable object meets Super Calo.

There's one match where Calo hits a frankensteiner from the ropes, and they both get so little distance that Konnan lands on top of Calo. It's almost hypnotic - I kept watching it, by the end not sure if I couldn't work out how they possibly landed like that, or if I couldn't tell how every other frankensteiner doesn't end like that.

• Paid Members

BB5F5FA3-4D13-4142-9C96-BD30258BCD88.gif

Great. That’s my afternoon fucked. I’m off to binge watch the best of Super Calo on the Network. 

Fucking hell, looking at those 3 gifs there, that’s 3 different matches! Why did they keep booking it? 

Edited by wandshogun09