TUF- best & worst

kidkris

So I have the UFC fight pass and I have been binge watching the ultimate fighter.

I love this show and always have it provides laugh out loud moments, tense edge of your seat confrontations and really really entertaining fights and fighters.

What are your favourite seasons

What are your least favourite?

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

TUF 10 is my favourite. Mainly thanks to Kimbo and the Rampage vs Rashad feud. I'm also very fond of series 3 and 8. I would add series 1 to that list, but I only watched it after its original airing. I already knew the winners, which took away from the suspense. I could still appreciate the Kos vs Leben feud, which was a key part of the original boom period.

From the series that I viewed, I didn't enjoy TUF 4: The Comeback. Not because it was crap, but because the results were all over the internet after Joss Gross leaked them on Sherdog radio. TUF 13 with Lesnar and JDS as coaches was a complete flop, as was TUF Live with Faber and Cruz as coaches. The series had peaked at this stage, and it had grown stale for numerous reasons. 

I stopped watching it altogether around 2013. But I hear that the Nelson vs Carwin series was a complete dud of epic proportions. That could be the worst. 

• Paid Members

The ping pong game between BJ Penn and Jens Pulver from Season 5 is one of the greatest things I've ever seen.

The storyline arc of Junie Browning from Season 8 was incredible, too. The type of drama you'd expect from something scripted expertly.

Remember how fucking fun TUF used to be? I might subscribed to Fight Pass just relive it all.

So I have the UFC fight pass and I have been binge watching the ultimate fighter.

I love this show and always have it provides laugh out loud moments, tense edge of your seat confrontations and really really entertaining fights and fighters.

What are yours?

What are yours?

Well currently I'm re-watching season 5 and love it. The yellow team are all psychos and there seems to be a very deep Rivalry between penn and pulver

I also watched bisping vs Miller season and that is by far up there with my favourites just because I love bisping. There are some good highs and lows In that season (the prank war for example)

My worst would probs be season 4 or the last season we had with the mixed men and women.

I just didn't connect with any of the fighters and the coaches were both unlikeable in my opinion

• Paid Members

Big Nog being the nicest man in the world and having the greatest coaching team vs Uber dick Mir is still one of my favs. The only downside was the eventual match between them, which nearly made me cry

• Moderators

The last great TUF moment

bisping2.gif

Oh my god. I'd completely forgotten about that! Amazing!

In better quality with more context:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pGnXP9dD29c

The early TUF were so memorable compared to the last 5 years, which I forgot literally while I was watching them.

-- Luke Cummo, already established as house weirdo, wiling away the hours by drawing; camera zooms in and it's a cartoon of a huge breasted woman with super pointy nipples

-- Shonie Carter making a raft out of plastic bottles and paddling about the pool

-- The whole 'fatherless bastard' episode is genuinely the most gripping episode in the history of reality television

-- Whichever year it was (I think it was S4) the cast got so thirsty, they got chatting to a woman passing by on horseback and invited her to the house. The concrete on the driveway was so hot, the horse burned its hooves and couldn't stand up, and almost died by suffocation when it laid down, until they could put a blanket under it and lift it clear or something. Said woman could not have been more horrified.

-- Rich Franklin giving Matt Serra the great strategy of starting the fight down on one knee, and Serra acting like he thought that was a great idea until the second Franklin left

-- Corey Hill's "THIS IS MY HOME, THIS IS MY ZONE; NOBODY COMES IN MY HOME OR MY ZONE!"

-- Gabe Rudiger's battle with weight cutting, ending with him literally sobbing on the floor of the sauna because he failed to make it and had to leave, despite having his anus flushed with a colonic to rid himself of those pesky poo pounds. Though he had been happily gorging on cake the night before.

-- Crybaby Andy Wang

-- BIG BABY! I loved Big Baby. What a man. He should have been a star, but retired as soon as the season aired.

-- The arrival of Jason Von Flue after Burkman broke his arm, which was shot like some weird 80s movie star was coming to the house, all close-ups of shades and a strut like JCVD was showing up

-- Sam Hoger getting caught with a suitcase full of UFC shirts and hats that he'd pilfered, getting him tagged as a tealeaf until the end

-- The looks on the faces of Shamrock's guys, having to listen to the bloated bodybuilder he bought in as a coach to tell (a bunch of ripped dudes) how to eat right

-- Shamrock's "Keep laughing you little monkey. I'm gonna smash your little head!" to Tito Ortiz, who's got a head like a fucking planet

-- Rampage getting exposed as someone with terrible patter. Sure, it played great in pre-taped interviews, but those uncut arguments in the gym showed him up. "Yo breath stink. Yo breath stink. Yo breath stink." Though the whole 'Titties' thing was funny, in a bullying way

-- That one season where the pranks got out of hand really quickly until guys were just wanking onto each other's food

So much great stuff.

• Paid Members

No matter how many thousands of no-name indistinguishable former TUF contestants show up on the undercards of FS2 specials to no reaction, there will never be a day when I don't immediately recognise Sam Hogar as being that thief.

• Paid Members

No matter how many thousands of no-name indistinguishable former TUF contestants show up on the undercards of FS2 specials to no reaction, there will never be a day when I don't immediately recognise Sam Hogar as being that thief.

I can't remember if it was shown in the actual season episodes or if it was in the DVD extras but someone nicknamed Hoger 'Sausage Tits' on the show. I fucking love that. Up there with 'Strangebrew' and 'Captain Miserable' as far as my favourite TUF nicknames go.

TUF 4 was brilliant. I won't hear a bad word about it. Serra being Serra, Shonie being Shonie, Drunk Drago, Captain Miserable being miserable, Cote's art, Scott Smith killing everyone with his rancid farts, Mikey Burnette running through walls, Jeremy Jackson getting kicked off to meet a girl, Serra verbally TKOing Marc Lemon. I could go on. TUF 4 was glorious.

The worst (that I've seen anyway) were 15 (Cruz vs Faber) and 16 (Carwin vs Nelson). Those 2 duds back to back pretty much killed my enthusiasm for TUF bar the odd exception. I wasn't keen on TUF 2 but it had its moments (Luke Cummo to this day is one of my favourite TUFers ever). The Chuck vs Tito one was a bit shit as well.

My favourite seasons are;

4 (have I not argued my case enough?)

5 (Penn vs Pulver feud was great plus you had Nate Diaz, Ruediger's weight issues, Andy Wang crying his little heart out, the full on fight in the back garden between Marlon and Noah, Corey Hill (RIP) and Wayne Weems in the Strangebrew role).

6 (Serra and Hughes as coaches, that Joey Scarola leaving for his girlfriend/falling out with Serra business, grumpy Mac Danzig, BLAKE FUCKING BOWMAN!, Dorian Price going after the camera crew etc).

8 (As chokeout said already, the Nog vs Mir/good vs bad divide was fun. You had the biggest cunt in TUF history in Junie plus him getting his comeuppance. The spunk sushi incident with Kyle Kingsbury. Plus you had Dave Kaplan insisting on proving he couldn't be knocked out by taking a punch off the much heavier Tom Lawlor...

method=get&s=tom-lawlor-gif-02-14-13-9-1

And that was the result.

10 (Rampage being exposed as a cunt. Rashad being revealed as a top man. KIMBO (RIP). Big Country. Big Baby. Meathead's cheese falling off its cracker. Rampage vs Titties. Rashad keep referring to Tiki as Rampage's 'manslave').

The Smashes (A surprisingly awesome season with Ross Pearson and George Sotiropoulous coaching and their rivalry made for great telly. You had the UK vs Australia angle. And there was Freakshow who was just perfect for TUF).

18 (Rousey vs Tate as coaches plus it was the first TUF to feature women in the house).

TUF 9 is a forgotten gem. Andre Winner looked like a killer. Browning's Brother was to be expected, and Bisping was well Bisping. It wasn't the best series, but it exceeded expectations.

Ebb has a point. Every series from 1-10 offered something of value. It was TUF 11 where it began getting a bit stale. There were a few good seasons after - The Smashes and Bisping vs Mayhem - but it was on a downward slope. The last episode I ever watched was during the Jones vs Sonnen series, which I wanted to like, but just couldn't.

• Paid Members

I've mentioned it before but when the first dozen or so TUF's happened there were a large portion of the media/fans who complained that TUF focussed too much on the house drama and not enough on the actual fighting, claiming it shone a bad light on the sport and all that shit.

Archived