TUF- best & worst

kidkris

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've mentioned it before but when the first dozen or so TUF's happened there were a large portion of the media/fans who complained that TUF focussed too much on the house drama and not enough on the actual fighting, claiming it shone a bad light on the sport and all that shit.

There was always an assumption that the fighters were bums as well. Even though there was occasionally some truth to that, it didn't bother me. Ross Pointon was never a world-beater - but I cared more about his fights on TUF 3 than I do about 80-90% of UFC's bouts today.  

TUF 9 is a forgotten gem. Andre Winner looked like a killer. Browning's Brother was to be expected, and Bisping was well Bisping. It wasn't the best series, but it exceeded expectations.

I'd say nine was the worst of the first ten seasons.  One of my favourite things that haven't been mentioned are the Scarecrow challenge in season two and Jorge Gurgel's response .

It's saying something that to this day I can remember Lodune Sincaid in his tiny briefs trying to get into the heads of his fellow cast members on Season One, obscure fighters like Eli Joslin and Cale Yarborough, Andy Wang being incredibly ungrateful, 'piss fruit' platters, John Kolosci willing to fight all comers, Jesse Taylor kicking in limousine windows, Mikey Burnett charging head first into walls, Noah Inhofer quitting the show over his girlfriend, Matt Hughes handing out bibles to his team, 'Titties', Gabe Ruediger's weight cut, the Marlon Sims and Noah Thomas backyard fight and so much more, yet I couldn't even tells you who all the current title holders in the UFC are now. 

I loved Andy 'stand and' Wang and BJ's reaction to his loss. Diego Sanchez praying to the gods of thunder and lightning. Bisping's combination mariache band/fire extinguisher/donkey prank on Maythem. Tate mentally wrapping Rousey round her finger. Ken Shamrock coaching his team by showing them his fights from UFC 3. Gym doors being torn to pieces (Dana - "man we bought some cheap doors round here"). Bisping winning his season in style, there was no Brits in the UFC then and he seemed a huge star in the making. Ross 'I'll fucking fight anyone' Pointon on the same season was awesome, shame he lacked the skill and talent, Dana loved him.

Most hated, probably Junie. He should have been kicked off the show about 5 times but they kept coming up with lame excuses to keep him in. His eventual asskicking was a great moment though. I know some loved him but I hated Leben. He just seemed like such a dickhead. It took me years to warm to him.

• Paid Members

Ross 'I'll fucking fight anyone' Pointon on the same season was awesome, shame he lacked the skill and talent, Dana loved him.

My favourite bit of Ross Pointon's TUF 3 stint was him arguing with Bisping over him blocking the bog with shite.

Pointon: Yerve blocked the toilet.

Bisping: Yeah, sorry.

Pointon: Yeah but yerve blocked it.

Bisping: And?

Pointon: It's YOUR shit.

Bisping: I know.

Pointon: Well clean it.

Bisping: I will if you stop acting like a dickhead.

Pointon: I aren't actin laak a dick 'edd at all.

Most hated, probably Junie. He should have been kicked off the show about 5 times but they kept coming up with lame excuses to keep him in.

"This isn't Survivor. You don't get to vote guys off the show. You have to beat 'em off...wait, that didn't sound good, did it?" - Dana White

TUF 9 is a forgotten gem. Andre Winner looked like a killer. Browning's Brother was to be expected, and Bisping was well Bisping. It wasn't the best series, but it exceeded expectations.

I'd say nine was the worst of the first ten seasons. 

It wasn't one of the best seasons, but I felt it exceeded expectations. I didn't expect much going in. 

10 was easily the best, it would have reached perfection if someone shot James McSweeney out of a cannon into the sun though.

"I've got a contract to win"

Ross 'I'll fucking fight anyone' Pointon on the same season was awesome, shame he lacked the skill and talent, Dana loved him.

My favourite bit of Ross Pointon's TUF 3 stint was him arguing with Bisping over him blocking the bog with shite.

Pointon: Yerve blocked the toilet.

Bisping: Yeah, sorry.

Pointon: Yeah but yerve blocked it.

Bisping: And?

Pointon: It's YOUR shit.

Bisping: I know.

Pointon: Well clean it.

Bisping: I will if you stop acting like a dickhead.

Pointon: I aren't actin laak a dick 'edd at all.

Did'nt they have to subtitle poor Ross as well because the Americans had no idea what he was saying ? lol

• Paid Members

Yeah there was even a bit on the TUF 3 DVD about that where Bisping and Pointon were chatting away and all the fighters in the house were completely clueless as to what they were saying.

There was a UK fighter on a later season as well (maybe Davey Grant on TUF 18 but I don't think it was him) who had to keep repeating something and the American fighter couldn't get what he was saying at all. He was saying he was 'gutted' about something and it just wasn't translating.

• Paid Members

its crazy how i remember pretty much every fighter from them early seasons but i genuinely cant name one fighter from the last season off the top of my head.

i know it probably has something to do with the fact we were craving as much MMA as possible during those early seasons but stil theres no denying that show just isnt as memorable these days.

i know it probably has something to do with the fact we were craving as much MMA as possible during those early seasons 

That was a factor, no question. During the first season it was a novelty for a MMA fight to be shown on TV. After the 3rd series, the show's success calmed down a bit. It was still superb TV - as we've mentioned - but the 3rd series remained the standard bearer in terms of commercial success. 

By 2009, the show had been around for almost 5 years. The novelty of watching MMA fights on live TV had long since worn off, which makes TUF 10's success even more impressive. They put the together the right cast, and the right coaches. It also helped that the UFC and Spike did a great job promoting it. It was also on Freeview in this country (I forget which channel)

• Paid Members

TUF 10 is proof that TUF isn't about the actual fights. Obviously it is but good fights isn't what makes a good season is what I'm getting at. Because TUF had some rotten fights. But it also had Kimbo, Nelson, Titties, Big Baby, Meathead and Wes Sims. And McSweeney in the 'prick you want to see get leathered' roll on the season. It was cast full of characters who were also big fuckers. The fights were the least enjoyable bit by far of that season, yet to this day it's arguably the best TUF they ever did entertainment-wise and undoubtedly ratings-wise. It was a home run.

All that plus it did make the coaches fight bigger. Rashad vs Rampage did just shy of a million buys if I'm remembering right. And that was with a so-so undercard. It might've done even better if it happened at UFC 107 in Memphis as originally planned as that was right after TUF finished.

It was what TUF should be. A fun cast, plenty of talking points at the house, some drama, a heated coaches rivalry AND the season made the coaches fight bigger. Of course, great fights would've made it even better but it wasn't crucial. It had everything else.

• Moderators

James McSweeney bullying Zak Jensen pissed me off in a way very little has ever pissed me off before.

Probably because Zak finally standing up for himself meant James just beat the shit out of him then laughed at him as he was defeated on the floor.

• Paid Members

I was trying think of Zak Jensen's name. McSweeney really has to be one of the biggest bellends in MMA. At least he was a total flop when he did get in the UFC. Fabio Maldonado smashing him up on one of the UK UFCs was beautiful.

Archived