TUF- best & worst

kidkris

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Moderators

James McSweeney bullying Zak Jensen pissed me off in a way very little has ever pissed me off before.

Probably because Zak finally standing up for himself meant James just beat the shit out of him then laughed at him as he was defeated on the floor.

Makes me livid just remembering it. I don't think television has made me that furious before or since. Every one of his many losses since then was a great joy.

Just remembered when Bobby Southworth aka Koscheck's goon threatened somebody with "a beatdown from B-South" What a collosal helmet he was.

It's weird how Tito reverted back to his dick persona after S3 finished. He came out of that season really well, like a smart, caring older brother, but didn't take that face turn into his career proper until the insincere "Don't call me the Huntington Beach Bad Boy, I'M THE PEOPLE'S CHAMP NOW!" phase when he got that fluke choke win over Bader. Ditto the Rampage/Rashad season, where everyone's preconceived ideas of the coaches got flipped. Rashad was revealed to be personable and witty, while Rampage was a dullard with shit patter, whose charisma didn't really work in a more live environment. But as soon as the season was over, Rampage was back getting the cheers, and Rashad back to being Boring Old Rashad in people's eyes.

• Moderators

The worst part of it was Jensen after the fact, sitting on the floor of his bedroom broken and twatted, asking McSweeney to just get out of his room and leave him alone.

McSweeney's reply? "Why, what are you going to do? Gonna make me?".

What a colossal twat.

Wasn't Titties joking about killing a chick or something and McSweeney was going "I'M NOT A LITTLE BIRD! TRY IT WITH ME! I'M NOT A LITTLE BIRD!!!"

Yeah, that was it. 

McSweeney was probably the worst character in the entire history of the show. The Browning brothers were just idiots. Southworth is probably his only competition, unless someone else has cropped up in recent years. 

• Paid Members

Bisping sings the horrid TUF theme...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?app=desktop&persist_app=1&v=uyzbOEqJ7r8

Koscheck tells Diego Sanchez the aliens are coming...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?app=desktop&persist_app=1&v=m5f0DAsis1w

Al Stankie vs Efrain...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?app=desktop&persist_app=1&v=3rljGU3Fxec

I miss TUF when it was good.

Bisping is perhaps the MVP of TUF. He was the main participant on one of the most successful seasons (TUF 3), and was a coach on a further 2 seasons - both of which were decent. Each season he was involved in was helped by his presence. Whether you wanted Hendo to kill him during TUF 9, or rooted for him on TUF 3 - he was always entertaining. 

I've got somebody whos worse than McSweeney and Southworth combined, War Machine. Season 6 alumni. Guys in jail now for assault and attempted murder. I mean bullying is terrible but this guy is on a whole other level.

http://www.espn.com/espnw/news-commentary/article/12627754/the-tragic-love-story-christy-mack-mma-fighter-war-machine

I still keep up with TUF now, the Conor/Faber one was very good as was the Joanna one but that was more about the coaches. But earlier TUFs were much better plus you had big characters. I can't pinpoint a favorite series but Tito in season 3 was a great coach IIRC. Plus in TUF season 1 you had the classic Bonnar/Griffin fight which was super huge for the UFC and kick-started a big boom period for them.

• Paid Members

Yeah, War Machine wasn't so bad on TUF 6. He was a fucking meathead idiot but didn't stand out massively as far as TUF twats go. In hindsight he's proven to be one of the biggest cunts in MMA ever but at the time I don't think he was even the worst on that season. Dan Barrera, Richie Hightower and Troy Mandaloniz annoyed me more. He was a complete tool.

All I remember of War Machine on TUF was him shitting in the top of the toilet causing Jared Rollins to kick off at him, him spouting off about conspiracy theories and the illuminati or something (don't think this made the actual show but was in the outtakes on the DVD) much to Serra's amusement, and his tremendous fight with Rollins at the finale. Without cheating, I honestly can't recall anything of his UFC stint post-finale.

Oh and here's Matt Serra on TUF 4 taking the piss out of Ken Shamrock's coaching;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?app=desktop&persist_app=1&v=pfH9EXtIseo

TUF 4 wasn't that great, the names that they were talking to who didn't sign up would have made it so much better.

They were talking to Nick Diaz, Robbie Lawler, Matt Lindland & Phii Baroni but I think this was around the time people like Gary Shaw was starting to get into MMA.

Phil Baroni & Matt Lindland despised each other and Phil has a big personality and had beaten a few good names in Pride.

• Paid Members

Nah TUF 4 was class. The only thing that let it down for me was the Serra vs Lytle final being surprisingly dull. But the finale still had its moments (Smith vs Sell anyone?). You could also say that the fact there was no actual coach vs coach dynamic hurt it as well, especially coming off the excellent Ortiz vs Shamrock season, but I liked the concept of the tournament winners getting a title shot in their respective divisions and the different guest coaches all added to it for me.

The fights weren't amazing on the show either but I thought it was a stupidly fun show week to week. Such a brilliant cast and mix of characters and they all had history in the UFC or with each other. The Serra vs Shonie stuff was really well done, for example. I'd only been watching less than 2 years at that point and I wasn't really familiar with either of those guys or their history but that didn't matter because they explained and hyped it up on the show perfectly. Them being team mates at the start was a great little twist and you just knew they were going to rematch at some stage in the show.

Aside from that Shonie was just magnificent to watch. He was a quote machine every week, he was blinging up the house, winding everyone up playing pool til all hours and stuff, there was the bottle raft, "CHARLES MCCARTHYYYYYYY....IT IS NOT YOUUUUUU". the mad outfits etc. Shonie Carter is one of my favourite MMA personalities ever. Even Serra warmed to him on the show and I loved the bit when they're both in the garden the night before their semi final fight against each other and they're reminiscing about their first fight and talking about ice cream.

Matt Serra was tremendous throughout the show, of course. The Captain Miserable stuff. Mikey Burnett was nuts and stuck out like a sore thumb on the show but I liked him as well. You had Chris Lytle and Din Thomas doing the Rocky and Apollo thing. Jeremy Jackson getting himself kicked off the show. Serra ripping Marc Laimon a new arsehole. The very beginnings of the Serra vs Hughes feud. I thought Cote came off really likeable. Lutter came off the show looking like a beast. There was a lot to like about the show, I thought.

TUF 4 added to the GSP vs Hughes rivalry more than anything else for me as well. That bit when they're all sat in the restaurant and Hughes is being a total cock shouting stuff to GSP just cemented the heel vs babyface divide between them and I wanted to see GSP annihilate him by the end of the season, badly.

In hindsight, I guess they should've just had GSP and Hughes coach the show properly leading into their second fight at UFC 65. I liked all the guest coaches and I'm a huge fan of TUF 4, I'll defend it every time, but having a proper coach rivalry with GSP and Hughes would've added to it and taken it up several levels and it'd probably have done better ratings as well. After TUF 3 with Tito and Ken, it was clear that viewers were into the feuding coaches thing. It was probably too early in TUFs development to break away from that format.

I do wish Nick Diaz being on the show would've happened though. That would've been brilliant. I can't even begin to imagine what the interactions between Nick Diaz and Shonie Carter would've been like. Then you factor in he'd fought Jeremy Jackson 3 times already so their interaction would've been interesting. He'd fought Lytle before as well. And I think fights on the show with the likes of Matt Serra and Din Thomas would've been incredible. I wish it happened.

Here's a quote from Diaz on the UFC wanting him on TUF 4...

Jesse Holland (UFCmania): Tell me about The Ultimate Fighter 4: The Comeback. Weren't you offered a spot on that show?

Nick Diaz: Yeah. They wanted me to go on there and fight guys like Matt Serra and Chris Lytle. Dude, I already beat Chris Lytle. Who do you think would have won that whole show? Who do you think would have been in the finale? It was obvious. I don't even want to get into Matt Serra. That was his time, I mean he's a great guy and I'm happy for him. He fucked up ol' Georges pretty good because he knew he had nothing to lose. I'd love to fight one of these guys.

Never heard that they were talking to Lindland and Baroni about being on the show as well. Fuck, that would've been fantastic television. Baroni on TUF full stop would've been great but locking him in a house with Lindland would've been pure gold. I loved their little feud and their 2 fights were quality.

Archived